www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Multibot for 30lb Sportsman

Author    Thread
pilleya

Multibot for 30lb Sportsman

In order to get some friends involved, and for a bit of fun. I am thinking about building a multi-bot of 4 identical/similiar robots between 6-7.5 lbs weight.

These probably won't have active weapons( or one could have if necessary), as I will be putting the majority of the weight towards strong frames( I am thinking 12mm+ milled 6061 with 3mm 6061 or polycarbonate top and bottom) and beefy drives( probably rs550's in custom 32DP gearboxes, or 35mm brushless outrunners( looking at around 900w ATM) if I want to put the time and $$ into brushless when I can get decent brushed ESC's and rs550's for cheap/free.

Aiming for around $200 per robot if I go for brushed.

Would a multibot made up of 4 wedge or wedgelets(less than 1/4" wide) robots be permissible for a sportsman competition( aiming for Vivid).

Post Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:20 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Long as it has an active weapon as per the rules, why not!

Post Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

You may have problems with anything wedge-like. The rules are the the sides of the bot have to be vertical where they meet the floor. In the past Pikasso had a piece of steel angle attached to the front - it wasn't particularly wedge shaped at all but still didn't meet the rules.

Post Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:28 pm 
pilleya

Well a little pushy bot is useless without something to go underneath the other robot, it can have as grippy wheels and as torquey drives as possible but at the end of the day something which weighs 30lbs isn't getting pushed around by something which is 7.5lbs.

An active weapon in a 7.5lb robot, especially in a sportsman isn't going to be effective against a 30lb'er.

Would have thought that there could be a lil bit of lenience on the wedge/let rule for robots of that size.

As much as I like the idea of a multi-bot, I don't think they'd survive long against decent spinners in the open fw class.

Post Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:51 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Its really up to Steve, the event organiser - I would do a rough CAD of the designs and PM him about it.

Post Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:52 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Ah what your talking about is pretty much against the whole point of sportsmans.

The whole idea is to discourage the wedge brick vs spinner situation which is a trend in main competition. There is no leniency towards wedges and no active weapons which is very explicit throughout the ruleset. The spirit of sportsmans is to encourage new and creative designs that would not fare well in standard comp. Sorry but you're going to need to rethink the design.

Post Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:05 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

You could fit a lifter into that package, if you were well coordinated it could be good

Post Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Don
Experienced Roboteer

Sportsman is a great class to start with you can really have some fun with it, check out the cq Robotics facebook group there is pics of a robot I made for my duaghter called fishstix, it had a modified grinder attached to it and was blue . It was well under weight and really easy and cheap to build. It put up a good fight against open class feathers and was great to drive. You could easily get 4 in weight with a few design changes.

Post Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:44 pm