www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> New Builders

New builder need advice

Author    Thread
Camman64

New builder need advice

Hello, so I am starting a robot battle club in my area and we are gaining interest by doing a beetleweight battle between me and a friend. I have an idea in mind and I have my own 3d printer but I need to know what electronics people use. I race rc cars so I'm somewhat familiar with certain things but am new to this. I plan on building a wedge with a vertical spinner and using a Dirt bike sprocket as the weapon. I'm basing my chassis design of of the fingertech viper and was going to use the electronics that robot comes with but figured there might be a cheaper option? I have a spectrum dxe I can use for a transmitter and plan on driving it tank style unless it's possible to cheaply control it otherwise? So basically I need 2 motors and esc or 2 escs and something fast to drive the weapon? Thanks

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:48 am 
chunkulator

For control usually the transmitter can be set up to do mixing so that a forward stick makes both motors go forward and a sideways stick makes one run forward one back. The dxe says you can program it by PC or smartphone so you should be able to configure it to do this. Often the option you want is called "Vtail mix".

For drive most people use Steve's brushed ESCs from Botbitz.com. I think he has Beetleweight motor/gearbox combos too.

HobbyKing has lots of cheap brushless motors and ESCs suitable for weapons.

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:54 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

I would suggest starting with Ants. There is the Ant starter kit for $60 on botbitz. Beetles are a bit bigger but there isn't many in Aus relative to ants and its easier to get new people with ants as they are more printable sized.

Steve

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:44 am 
Camman64

Thanks. As for the mixing I am familiar with that and I know my surface radio has these features aswell, any idea wether I could just mix the channels as you described to work with a trigger and steering wheel style remote? As for the escs are those overkill for those little gear motors? I was hoping to find an esc under 15$, do I need two of those escs for two motors?

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:00 am 
Camman64

I found some options on Amazon and would like to know if they are compatible but how big of a battery would you recommend for 2 10a escs with 2. .6a 12v motors and one bigger motor and it's own esc for the weapon?[/img]

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:36 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Those bot bits $60 kits are good - you can get $5 escs from eBay- they will get you moving but without a break function they tend to turn to one side when they stop- the gear motors are good and are the standard we all use for the ants- 2s 180mah and 260mah nanotech are good but hobbyking seem to be out at the moment😱

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:23 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

It is very hard to impossible to find a surface wheel radio that does steering and throttle mixing - I have been looking for several years Sad. Unless you get very lucky, you will have to stay with stick transmitters or use a V-tail mixer at the receiver end.

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:03 am 
chunkulator

Watch out though. The VTail mixers that HobbyKing currently sell do not fail safely. If the radio drops out they instruct your ESCs to keep running. To be allowed to fight in Robowars events you need to demonstrate that your robot stops when you turn off the transmitter. I mention this because I was bitten by this issue as a first-timer at last year's nationals.

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:08 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I'm not a big fan of V-tails mixers either, they are a necessary evil you sometimes have to use.

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:11 pm 
maddox

Is build in our IBF 4.5 ESC's. Fully programmable bij PC.

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
evil_steve

For antweights these dual channel ESCs from Banggood can be bought with mixing baked in (as well as without). I've used both versions and they work great in antweights, wouldn't trust them in a beetleweight though.

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:43 pm 
Camman64

Well my 500$ surface radio even has abs, I know it atleast has one channel mixing and I'm fairly certain it has 2, thanks everyone for the helpful replies

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:58 am