www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Jolt & friends - Team Overkill - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 566, 567, 568 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Mill enclosure:

Before I can mike new milled parts, the manual mill a home. The enclosure is getting a temporary lining made with painted plywood to speed things up:

the sides are only 600mm high and it won't be flood coolant proof, but fine for mist coolant and keeping most of the swarf off the floor. there will be plenty of storage underneath and just getting the mills and all their accessories off the floor will be a huge bonus.

Post Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:05 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Dirty low down milling:

The enclosure is taking extra time to construct and there are at least four parts to make so I cleaned up the mill and got it working on the floor. I thought that mounting the shiny new vice would class up the mill but it just makes it look even older Sad - at least everything still works.

Its not exactly ergonomic but having the mill on the floor definitely makes it easy to change speeds and tighten the drawbar Smile

Events:

Mr Mangle got confirmed for the UK Robochallenge event today, so I will be doing two championships in two hemispheres in one week; just surviving will be an achievement.

Post Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:44 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Mr Mangle:

It took hours but the old mill can still produce good parts. This motor mount is stronger than the old design and still saves 25 grams:

I also made a pair of hubs from the new toughened PVC; they only save 6 grams but at 1/10th the cost of the old hubs, they are practically a consumable.

Post Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:01 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Mr Mangle 2:

I did a frame fit-up and weight check today and something weird is going on. With all the major parts on the scales, the bot only weighs 12.06 Kg Shocked. The only things missing are a few CM of wire, the titanium filler and a larger weapon pulley than the one borrowed from Shiny. Its handy to be under weight, but not by that much and now I need to figure out how to add extra armour or features.

One of the side panels had a broken tap stuck in it and I had a go at drilling it out with a solid carbide drill.

The tap was extra hard cobalt steel but the carbide drill eventually cut through it and the remains were knocked out with a punch. From now on, all my taps will have their pointy ends ground flat so its easier to get a drill started in them.

Shop life:

I fitted super-short coiled hoses to the air outlets:

They stretch out to 2 metres but take up almost no space when retracted and they are impossible to tangle. No more tripping over long air hoses ever again Smile. Bunnings and H&F have slightly longer versions for around $25 - highly recommended.

Post Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:27 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Mr Mangle 2:

Good progress; the front forks are tapped and the roll hoop mounts are half bent to shape:

The mounts are more angled than before, making the hoops wider and lower - that should make them more effective and help prevent getting caught on the arena.

I came up with two options to use up the spare weight: extra thick front forks to deal with horizontal spinners and magnetic hold-down. The magnet modules are already made but there was never enough spare weight to use them before.

Post Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:43 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Roll hoops:

The roll hoops need a completely new shape and since there is spare weight, I made them slightly wider and 50mm longer. This is the new bending jig VS the original on the right:

Bending the UHMW plastic strip needs high temperatures and much patience; it has to be heated until it goes completely clear:

Half done - the burnt MDF shows just how toasty things get:

And 2 hours later its all done. the new hoops are much wider and a little lower, which means self-righting is more reliable while its harder for the front hoop to get stuck on arena hazards.

The latest Robochallenge rules allow entanglement devices in the side competitions like the Gladiator and Annihilator, so I might try dangling some tasty kevlar treats off the rear hoop - it may or may not work but at least worth trying.

Post Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:23 pm 
Ondray

You're not worried the flatter region on the top of the hoops could see the bot stranded on its back?

Post Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:49 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Its a definite possibility - once I have more parts bolted down, I will need to do some testing.

Post Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:47 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Mr Mangle 2:

The new frame is being welded up and after some practice, the titanium skilz are back (relatively speaking - I'm never going to be a pro welder Smile). Between cleaning everything with a Scotchbrite pad & acetone and some new back purging blocks, the welds are virtually oxide-free:

Using the custom blocks and aluminium foil baffles, this job is going far smoother than the last frame. Its chewing through quite a bit of bar stock but with the huge reduction in Argon gas usage, I will probably save the cost of a D size tank in just one job - that's quite a pile of aluminium!

Post Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:02 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Looking awesome

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:24 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Mr Mangle 2:

The frame is finally welded up! Very Happy It took longer than expected but has turned out really well; hardly any warping, very little oxidation on the welds and much, MUCH less argon used:

Now its time to fit all the parts back in and make three more bits; the wepon pulley, top cover and half the power wiring.

Post Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:37 pm 
Cpnwolfe

Looking sweet nick, I didn't realise that the plastic would turn fully opaque. who are you bringing to nats?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTuWeJ4OrAcsmjKir9L4JNg

https://www.facebook.com/CreativeInstigation/

Post Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:47 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Probably the original Mr Mangle, with a couple of upgrades.

Post Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:38 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Mr Mangle:

While I was setting up for the new weapon pulley, I found some damage from last year:

Shocked That probably happened late at the last Robochallenge, when Mangle and Conker 3 met head on. Conker 3 was inverted so the bearings took at least double the usual shock load. Amazingly, they still ran smoothly! The bearings are already replaced and its a reminder to pack spares for the next event.

I made a carbon fibre replacement for the laser-cut electronics board in Mr Mangle 2. Its all hand made with the belt sander, drill press and a paper template. It took an hour instead of a minute but its almost as accurate:

Post Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:07 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Update:

Pretty sure that bearing damage happened at around 30 second mark:

Post Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:17 pm