www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Micro Magnum, Team Magnum, NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 45, 46, 47  Next

Author    Thread
MoonSet416

Some further changes:

Wedge is a bit wider, better support when the bot gyrodances.
Finally remembered to add an access port on the top cover. (In last build I hacksawed an opening to access the safety link.)

Post Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:47 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

As a "nice to have" perhaps think of some way of making those inverted drive wheels adjustable, so as the main wheels wear you can bring them in closer.

Post Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:10 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
MoonSet416

That would be a nice feature. However the wheels I'm currently using are not really suitable for that since the bearings are on the chassis side. Had the bearings been inside the wheels (just like a skateboard wheel), they should be adjustable with a slot cut into the chassis.

Post Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:33 am 
MoonSet416

Thx Valen for the idea!

(Just realized that all I needed was a normal caster wheel with bearing in it.) I can now finally say that I have an invertible bot!

The little slot on the chassis for tensioning.

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:41 pm 
MoonSet416

Btw, since my next event is in China, where featherweight is 15kg instead of 13.6, I do have some free weight I could use. (The design you see now should be right around 13.6 with wires and screws, etc.) What do you guys think I can add to the bot? I'm thinking about some ablative armor, probably HDPE.

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:48 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Add armor over the exposed weapon motors.

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:53 pm 
Jackbk

quote:
Originally posted by MoonSet416:
Btw, since my next event is in China, where featherweight is 15kg instead of 13.6, I do have some free weight I could use. (The design you see now should be right around 13.6 with wires and screws, etc.) What do you guys think I can add to the bot? I'm thinking about some ablative armor, probably HDPE.

FMB in October?

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:08 pm 
MoonSet416

Yeah I agree... It's nice to have some top armor considering the amount of horizontal spinners and other threats in my next event.
The shape of the armor raises several questions though... How can I get a piece of armor to wrap around the motor and still be strong enough? (Also thought about 3D printing a motor cover, but after seeing Strange Young Man's head I'm not sure if 3D printed parts are still good for armor for this weight class. )

Post Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:02 am 
MoonSet416

To Jack:

No, I don't have time for that one. However, there will be an event right at the New Year's Eve.

Post Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:03 am 
Jackbk

quote:
Originally posted by MoonSet416:
To Jack:

No, I don't have time for that one. However, there will be an event right at the New Year's Eve.

Oh nice, we'll see you there

I'd definitely protect those weapon motors, 3D printing wont have a chance of holding up. I'd build an alu box around them that bolts into the weapon support and the chassis rail, angled to deflect horizontals

Post Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:07 am 
maddox

Aluminium, not even the vaunted 7075T6 can stand up against decent spinners. You'll need some fancy Ti or armor steel work to do that job.

Thick enough HDPE will work too, but we're thinking 20-30mm thickness then. Won't be pretty tough.

On the other side, those flat slabbed sides are asking to transfer a lot of force into the machine.
Maybe taking a leaf from the Beta/Terrorhurtz armor setup? With 1 kg you can add a belt of 8mm polycarbonate 150mm high around the machine. (or 10mm thick HDPE)

Post Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MoonSet416

Good points.

I will probably go with HDPE as I don't have the skills to bend steel sheets to the shape I needed. I wonder how do people usually add HDPE to their machines though... Bolt or glue?

Here's one kind of armor I came up with. (I never used hdpe armor so I probably screwed something up somewhere.) Please feel free to comment!

Btw I probably won't need top armor because there are no more axebots in China. The only guy making them recently went to KoB and won't be competing in FMB.

Post Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:50 pm 
MoonSet416

Other changes:

Changed from 2.5inch top wheel to 2inch. For some reason the 2.5 inch caster wheels are extremely heavy. (200g) Also moved top wheel position for it to touch the ground when inverted. Might have to lower the weapon mount to ensure contact.

Post Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:42 pm 
MoonSet416

OK just asked a few guys in China about how they attach HDPE and it turns out to be half bolt and half glue/tape. I'm going with tape wherever I have enough surface area.

Here's what I came up with.

Post Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:46 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Maybe they have some special tape, but most adhesives do a poor job on HDPE, its what's called a low surface energy plastic and is hard to bond to.

Post Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:51 am