www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Micro Magnum, Team Magnum, NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 45, 46, 47  Next

Author    Thread
MoonSet416

Hmm I thought the bearings on Mr Mangle were 25mm cuz they look huge so I went with that. Not seeing signs of getting overweight so will keep it until then.

Also, this is what happens when you design your weapon first and then come up with a chassis to move it around. But all of my bots look disproportionate so who cares.

Post Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:07 pm 
MoonSet416

Added all the major parts and this is what the layout looks like.

Post Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:39 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Looking good!

Post Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:20 pm 
MoonSet416

Thx Nick.

Post Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:44 pm 
MoonSet416

And this is what the chassis stands right now. Added a lot of details, and added an extra plate towards the back of the chassis to add a bit extra strength.
What you see in the pic weigh a total of 3.7 kg.

Post Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:46 pm 
MoonSet416

Added more details. Ran into some minor weight issues, and added some pockets/lightening holes. The motor mount now add some structure to the top cover.

Post Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:50 am 
Cpnwolfe

you are getting pretty good at this mate

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTuWeJ4OrAcsmjKir9L4JNg

https://www.facebook.com/CreativeInstigation/

Post Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:29 am 
MoonSet416

Thx.

Post Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:04 pm 
MoonSet416

Update:

Two days ago I decided to put the picture of Abomination on facebook, and received some feedback. I then added the following features.

1.Interchangeable weapons
Aside from the original disc, I added a Big Ripto style weapon to combat other spinners. This weapon supposedly has almost the same weight as the disc so I can change weapons freely. However, this weapon has about 25% less MOI compared to the disc.

And here's the original disc.

2.Interchangeable wedges
Taking advice from facebook, I decided to include an option for a uniform wedge to fight horizontal spinners and verticals without wedges. However doing that requires changes to the geometries of the chassis, which resulted in problems with the pseudo-tri-wedge setup. To have a uniform wedge all bulkheads must on the same plane so that the wedge will properly install. In the tri-wedge config, to leave clearance for the hinged wedges to move they have a bit of empty space between bulkheads, resulting in the hinged wedges sticking out in front of the fixed one. I don't want that because the fixed wedge has the most weight on it and therefore has the best ground clearance. To put the fixed wedge in front I added a replaceable fork/wedgelet on top of it to make it stick out.

And here's the fixed wedge. basically the same style of wedge as the one on Contraption.

Also, I plan to add some HDPE armor to it, but that's currently WIP.
And as always, please feel free to comment.

Post Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:41 pm 
MoonSet416

Just got back to China! Work on the new version of Contraption will begin shortly.

A few things that I noticed when I was disassembling Contraption in Sydney before my travel: First the weapon bearings were somewhat damaged. when turning the shaft there was a slight cogging feel to it and I suspect that the bearing balls made a dent in the bearing housing. However, the damage was not noticeable when the weapon is on the chassis and I tried to turn it then. Also, my god do steel parts rust. The disks looked like they've been there for like a year but no it was just three months. Luckly I will be replacing most of the steel parts so i guess it's fine.

Update on the FMB confusion: So yesterday someone in chat said that the Dec FMB thing was to be postponed to mid Jan, a time when I will be busy. Earlier today the same guy said that only the FMB HW events will be in mid Jan and the FW/MW events will still be in late Dec, which I like to see. However the above has not been confirmed yet.

Post Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:11 pm 
MoonSet416

Update on Contraption:

Just got the new parts in yesterday and they were terrible... For some reason they decided to screw up every piece of Ali part and forgot to put most of the threads in the weapon before they hardened it. Those parts were sent back.

Good news is that the PE parts are fine (they have no screw holes for them to screw up). And I just spent like half an hour removing a piece of sticky tape stuck randomly on one of the PE parts.

WAIT A MINUTE...

That was a totally normal piece of sticky tape but it still stuck well to the PE... Hmm...

Post Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:46 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The ruined parts really suck - was it the same place that did a good job the first time?

Post Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:12 pm 
MoonSet416

Well I asked the same person this time. However since he has like three HWs and several FWs at hand, he outsourced some parts to his friends, who screwed up.

EDIT: to be fair his CNC job is still great, it's just the people drilling the holes and doing the threads not paying attention.

Post Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:14 pm 
MoonSet416

Update on Contraption and FMB:

Still waiting for the redo of the new version parts after I sent them back. So no really a whole lot going on with Contraption right now. Will be buying the electrical stuff soon to work on some soldering first.

As for the FMB event, huh what can I say... Originally it was supposed to be a great New Year's Eve event with the international final (based on invitations from FMB) and an "everyone have fun" kind of event (based on registering for the event). But over time it seems that the plans have changed quite a bit. First, the time of the event has been changed to "mid to late Jan 2018" according to some. If that's true then the event will probably on the 20-21 weekend. Considering I will be taking my final exam for "summer" school in Beijing at 18:00 on the 19th, it will be very hard for me to make it. What's even worse is the rumored removal of the second event, which is the only one I have a chance of getting into. (I don't expect to receive invitation to the international final, my bot isn't that good yet.)

I guess I will wait and see what happens...

Post Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:21 pm 
cavecrusher

FMB event should be the 26-28 weekend.

Post Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:44 pm