www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Devastator - Hellfire Labs - Qld
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Author    Thread
assassin

And Philps new bot is gunna have more power than that! Dam!

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:10 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Next we'll have Philip flipping Mini Cooper's in the car park Laughing

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:10 pm 
WiperMotor

That Poor old vacuum cleaner Laughing

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:16 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

looks pretty good apart from the self flippage Smile

Just out of interest, when you have it upside down to turn the gas on, what's stopping it from being able to fire and throw itself at you if the firing solenoid was faulty, etc?
Also, are you worried about the possibility of hoses blowing, gauge, blowing the face off, or the buffer tank exploding in your face if it has any invisible damage and fails when pressurised?

Just wondering since there's been much talk about pneumatic safety, and in my opinion the way things are operated and set up makes as much difference as the hardware itself.
Put it this way: I'd be worried about losing eyes if anything failed.

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
assassin

I think they had it so if the ram fired the arm was away from it, if it did fire.

Last edited by assassin on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:53 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by DumHed:
Just out of interest, when you have it upside down to turn the gas on, what's stopping it from being able to fire and throw itself at you if the firing solenoid was faulty, etc?
Also, are you worried about the possibility of hoses blowing, gauge, blowing the face off, or the buffer tank exploding in your face if it has any invisible damage and fails when pressurised?

All the electronics are turned on, tested and set to thier failsafe position before the pneumatics are charged. The robot is then raised onto its side and the flipping arm is raised before opening the main valve. The worst that can happen if the ram is fired while I have it in this position is that I would s@#t myself.
As for the possibility of any of the componants failing, yes I am very worried which is why all the parts used (including the guage) are rated for at least 130% of the maximum pressure that I expect to encounter. The system is fully inspected by myself (as I am the one who has to stick thier hands into the robot) before each use.
I do understand and respect the dangers involved with this type of system but believe that the extra work is well worth it.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Marauder has run longer then any another pneumatic flipper in Australia, not a single failure or issue that has brough danger to any of those around it. I don't want to seem ignorant, but I trust this bot more then I trust most other peoples bots, simply because I have been in the pits and the arena with it for so long, I know the safety on this machine is the highest priority.

Now stop starting arguments for the sake of arguing.. Rolling Eyes

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:14 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

I'm not starting arguments, just clarifying some things based on what it looks like on the video since there has been so much safety talk lately.

I thought it looked like the flipper arm could still be pushed by the ram, which would launch the whole bot at whoever is working on it.
Looking at it again, it's up, but not as far as I expected - which is just due to the ram's short throw.

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
andrew

yeah damn kerrisons, that looks bad ass, nice work. I hope never to face it in the arena Smile

@aaron-whats with the soap box boy, is it wrong to ask questions now these days is it? Now hurry up and make a robot.

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:53 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by dyrodium:
LOL Looks like it tore it open from the flipper force itself! Nice work. Smile
Heh did you get a lot of curious/worried faces from those people walking and riding past? Laughing

The flipper arm tore through the white part of the vacume cleaner before hitting the catch on the side, which pulled the thing half. During the second flip were it was just the top of the vacume the arm actually went through the steel case of the fan housing. Not bad for a 53mm stroke coke can.

I was mostly worried about stuff landing on my car. A vacume cleaner would cause quite a big dent. A bit hard to pass off as hail damage.

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:25 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

space junk for sure!

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:03 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Devastating. You put quality drives in there and a good driver and Devastator will be hard to beat.

Post Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:20 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I'll be interested to see how the 12-45 bane bots esc's you got perform, due to their tiny size and decent price. Are you sure 12A cont would be enough? I know it's not a pushy bot.. but it's unavoidable sometimes. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:20 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

The biggest problem with using the Bane Bots gearboxes is that there are no pre-made hubs available for them. So I have made my own:

The outer part of the hub acts as a shim for the 1/2" bearings that I will use to support the gearbox shaft. The hub is held onto the shaft with set-screws:

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

How is Devastator going? Is it close to driving now? How much ground clearance are you going to have? Are you using a wheel, ball transfer unit or skid plate under the front?

Post Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:42 am