www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Devastator - Hellfire Labs - Qld
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Author    Thread
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I am getting almost no work done on it at the moment with both work and uni driving me crazy.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:17 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

O well, the Christmas break is coming soon. Uni finishes soon enough, but the qualification lasts a lifetime.

Post Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:14 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I finaly got the gearboxes mounted:

I took it for a test drive last night and all is well. I pushed it hard for three minutes and nothing overheated.[/url]

Post Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

On Friday I ordered a couple of batteries and this morning they arrived:

FlightPower EVO20 3700mAh 3s1p 11.1V LiPols.
If you can't see it in the photo they weigh 305g each. Very Happy
This brings the total weight ofthe robot up to 11.50kg without gas (equivalent to 12.10kg for the Vic EOs).

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:01 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Ah, so you'll be joining Nick in the lipol band wagon... At least yours will have it a little less rough with the not needing to power a mag motor and all. Smile
Looking nice!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:39 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Well Hellcat has been running LiPol's since July, so it isn't that new to us.

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:54 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

are those the really cheap lipols you get in the hobby stores these days? i noticed quite a few 15-20C packs for less than $100 each around. looked pretty nice.

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I will be interested to see how the batteries perform. I am particularly interested in how hot they get and how long they take to cool and recharge.

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:17 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

At $185 each these are not cheap. They are the real-deal, high performance sport packs.
If they perform anything like that banged up pack that came from who knows where the motors will burn out long before the batteries even begin to heat up. There is an estimated run time of 10mins per pack.
From the label on the battery:
20C continuous (74Amp), 30C Sustained (111Amp), 50CBursts(185Amp)
The manufactures website say that the 20C rating is how much current can be drawn from the battery before it heats up to 60 degreesC after 3mins. This is why you should only look at the 20C rating when choosing packs for robots.

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:26 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Quote from Hellcats thread:
"I have been looking into new batteries and have settled on these (can't afford them yet but have been doing a lot of over-time at work):
http://www.flightpower.co.uk/core/datasheets/EVO20_Data_3s1p3700.htm
I can get them from here:
http://www.modelflight.com.au/flightpower.htm
After going through all the datasheets and specifications for the batteries, motors and speed controllers these seem to be the best batteries for my application as well as for use in Devastator."
The first link is the manufactures website and is a must read for those who are considering these batteries.

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:35 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Flightpowers are good batteries.

www.Hobbymodelwarehouse.com.au also stocks them, and will probably have a better price and turnaround. I found Modelfight a bit pricey and slow when I ordered some stuff from them a while back.

The Hyperion LiteStorm VX batteries are even better, but slightly more expensive. Available in Aus from http://www.airstrike.com.au/Hyperion.htm

I have 1 of each for my T-Rex Heli and the LiteStorms definitely have more punch (Volts under load) than the flightpowers do, although the flightpowers are a bit older than the LiteStorm I have, but other Pilots who use them claim they're better too..

If you need max power and current, the Litestorms are probably worth the extra $, although this post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482413 suggests they might be the same cells.

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:08 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Those particular Flightpowers are using the latest generation of cells, substantially better than the versions they were shipping until just a few months ago. Thunder power has also changed to the same cells in it's top range of packs. My pack's 20C rating is 98A, but there is absolutely NO WAY the 14g leads are going to take that for more than a few seconds! Replacing the leads looks difficult on the Flightpowers.

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:12 am 
johanrosander

I like it Smile. What will you do with the weight left? About the motors, is the construction weaker than the Team Whyachi TWR15 motors (you supported the shafts)?
Banebots esp & motors + Flightpower cells is added to my shopping list.

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:49 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Watch out for the recharge time there John,

Most Lipo's can only be charged a 1C, some can handle 2C if you push the friendhip.

This means for combat use where a <0.5hr turnaround is sometimes necessary, you really need towo sets of packs if you are going to run Lipo's

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:59 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Who would only have one set of batteries anyway? And considering that the recomended charge time for Nicads and NiMhs is 15 hours a recomended 1C rate sounds good to me.
As for the gearboxes they are exactly the same as the team Whyachi gearboxes, it is just that, as with all thier products, it is the Whyachi logo that costs the money. The largest motor option for the gearboxes is an rs_545 tho they do have the same mount and pinion as the standard cordless drill motor (RS-550). The RS-545 will get very hot after a 3min run, but all motors do.
The ESC will only run at a maximum of 12v and will not handel prolonged pushing or high loads. That is why I have chosen to go with the 3" wheels to decrease the loads on the motors. RF noise suppresion from the motors seems to be a n issue as does the lack of fine control offered. They have a very jerky response, but I am used to the much more expensive Victor 883s.

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:24 am