www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

FlameWars - Religion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Author    Thread
Eyce

quote:
Originally posted by Team Hell Bent!:
The only weired thing that has ever happened to me was at a cemitary and i was sitting in my car with no one els and i had the keys with the centrle locking button on em and i was sitting there and all of a sudden all the buttons locked so i pressed the key ring to unluck em and then 2 mins later they locked agen so i again pressed the button and they locked again and this kept happening for about 45 mins about every 2 mins.

Once we left the cemitary and got back home i decided to sit in the car and see if it would happen again but it never did and still to this day it has never happened again.

House had a weird feeling lately?

Besides, what you should have done was to keep the car locked.

But that's if you want that to happen in your home Razz

Post Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:53 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

My family used to have a car that locked itself sometimes.

Eventually we found that planes flying over the house would cause it to lock (and unlock sometimes), and driving under power lines while doing a right hand corner would also do it!

Post Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Waddy the phoenix

weird who knows maby you had ufo's flying over head

Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:07 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Maybe it was just dead people playing a joke on you. Rolling Eyes

Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:33 pm 
chris

I wouldnt diss the dead Aaron, My friends sister was reduced to tears not so long ago because she saw her grandfather (who commited suicide) all over the place, and it wasnt what ghosts are depicted as in movies and books (pale figures with "unfinished buisness" ). She saw him as a human wearing 1930s style clothing (waistcoat with long black pants, shiny black leather shoes and a bowler hat) with no apparent meaning for existance, just stood there, not doing much wearing a confused look on his face.
The scary thing, no one else could see him.
another thing worth noting is that this girl has never told a lie in her life (shes 16 years old) .
Go figure

Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:00 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I've never told a lie in my life. On a side note, Annihilation now has an Etek mounted in it with a large supply of current limited LiPol batteries. Cool

Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:23 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

The car was sitting in the middle of a feild so there was nothing near bye that would explane why it was locking.

Another thing>

quote:
Originally posted by teamvertex:
Maybe it was just dead people playing a joke on you. Rolling Eyes

I was there to visit my fathers grave i can take a joke and i know you wrote that in good fun but just be carefull what you say when talking about these things Wink

Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:29 pm 
andrew

Yeah i thought that also.

Sorta just on maybe acceptable there aaron.

Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:07 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
I wouldnt diss the dead Aaron, My friends sister was reduced to tears not so long ago because she saw her grandfather (who commited suicide) all over the place, and it wasnt what ghosts are depicted as in movies and books (pale figures with "unfinished buisness" ). She saw him as a human wearing 1930s style clothing (waistcoat with long black pants, shiny black leather shoes and a bowler hat) with no apparent meaning for existance, just stood there, not doing much wearing a confused look on his face.
The scary thing, no one else could see him.
another thing worth noting is that this girl has never told a lie in her life (shes 16 years old) .
Go figure

There is still very little known about how the human brain operates . . . But we do know that its possible for trauma to induce images that seem very real, and to relive them over and over . . . and im sure seeing something like that qualifies as a traumatic event

quote:
Originally posted by Team Hell Bent!:
The only weired thing that has ever happened to me was at a cemitary and i was sitting in my car with no one els and i had the keys with the centrle locking button on em and i was sitting there and all of a sudden all the buttons locked so i pressed the key ring to unluck em and then 2 mins later they locked agen so i again pressed the button and they locked again and this kept happening for about 45 mins about every 2 mins.

Once we left the cemitary and got back home i decided to sit in the car and see if it would happen again but it never did and still to this day it has never happened again.

Ever heard of passive arming ? Its a feature im many car alarms and central locking kits that makes the car automaticly lock, and is often easily enabled by using the remote.

Im naturally skeptical about such things . . . . I believe that for every event in our lives there is a perfectly logical / scientificly valid explination. I think that most "Miracles" are just coincidences. Before you completely discount my statement, take a look at the below extract taken from http://www.drsnet.org/radley/science/:

"The book also has a good chapter on "Amazing Coincidences." These are strange events which appear to give evidence of supernatural influences operating in everyday life. They are not the result of deliberate fraud or trickery, but only of the laws of probability. The paradoxical feature of the laws of probability is that they make unlikely events happen unexpectedly often. A simple way to state the paradox is Littlewood's Law of Miracles. Littlewood was a famous mathematician who was teaching at Cambridge University when I was a student. Being a professional mathematician, he defined miracles precisely before stating his law about them. He defined a miracle as an event that has special significance when it occurs, but occurs with a probability of one in a million. This definition agrees with our common-sense understanding of the word "miracle."

Littlewood's Law of Miracles states that in the course of any normal person's life, miracles happen at a rate of roughly one per month. The proof of the law is simple. During the time that we are awake and actively engaged in living our lives, roughly for eight hours each day, we see and hear things happening at a rate of about one per second. So the total number of events that happen to us is about thirty thousand per day, or about a million per month. With few exceptions, these events are not miracles because they are insignificant. The chance of a miracle is about one per million events. Therefore we should expect about one miracle to happen, on the average, every month. Broch tells stories of some amazing coincidences that happened to him and his friends, all of them easily explained as consequences of Littlewood's Law."

ffej.net

Last edited by ffej on Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

I was just pointing out something weired that happened to me i didnt say it was a miracle.

And like i sed our car dosent have auto locking when you leav it unlocked.
And i had the remote in my hand.

Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:33 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

An intermittant fault with the clk system . . . . a dodgey remote . . . . . increased solar flare activity . . . . all of which are possible explainations.

I know you didnt say that it was a *miracle* . . . just trying to give some indication as to what might have happened . . . . . so that they dont stay *unexplained*

ffej.net

Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Ok then.

Just was a bit weired that it happened at the cemitary Confused

Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:50 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Thats actually a very relevant point Tim..

Sometimes its the context that makes a particular event memorable, rather than the event itself..

Had your doors kept locking in your driveway I'll bet in most cases your first thought would have been that something was wrong with the electronics..

but put the same event in a cemetary where people are aware of the possibility of supernatural occurences and all sorts of otherwise ordinary events suddenly take on supernatural significance in their minds.

However, Although I definitely consider myself a believer in the scientific method of observation, deduction and prediction, in the interests of remaining open minded I caution everyone to remember that science does NOT have all the answers (yet), and that there are many things that do not necessarily have a logical explanation at the present time.

I do not doubt that one day we will be able to explain "whatever it is", but dont assume that if we cant explain it NOW, it doesnt exist.

One of my favourite examples of this is a comment I read in a science book..

Fire up your De-Lorean time machine, and go visit 3 "scientists", 1 each from the years 1900, 1950, and 2000.. Show each of the scientists 3 identical mass but different substance bricks.. #1 is made of Red-Hot Iron, #2 is made of room temperature Uranium 235, #3 is made of Frozen Hydrogen. ask them each to rate the bricks in terms of the potential energy that could be extracted from the bricks in decreasing order.

Mr 1900 will vote 1,2,3 - Heat energy was understood from the hot iron, but warm uranium was useless, and frozen hydrogen would only be good for absorbing energy (heat).

Mr 1950 will vote 2,1,3 - Now we can see the fission energy in Uranium that was invisible to our eyes before, after Hiroshima everyone realised what power could be locked up in the atom, but Hydrogen isnt radioactive and wont fission so it is of no use to us.

Mr 2000 will vote 3,2,1 - Suddenly the possibility of fusing all that Nice Cold Hydrogen into Helium and releasing even more energy than even the Uranium fission can yield is now available to us.. That red-hot brick of iron that looked so chock full of energy back then is now seen as relatively devoid of energy, since a few hundred degrees of molecular heat is relatively wimpy looking next to the awesome power of the atomic nucleus.

So in just 100 years, our views on something as fundamental as the sources of energy available to us took a complete back-flip and we could suddenly "see" all this energy that had been hiding under our noses all along.

Keep that in mind when someone says "If it cant be measured, it doesnt exist". We just may not have invented the right tool to measure it yet.

Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

heh in 100 years the scientist will be more initerested in the pure vacuum in the box next to you ;->

Post Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:37 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by original_carnage:
Here's another thought.... the "devil" is/was an angel cast out from heaven for vanity (amongst other minor infractions). If "god" can't control the actions of his/her/its own servants/angels, what chance is there that said being/deity could make the world (and everything in it).

the reason the old testament says to not take the religion door to door, is that you would be put to death for heresay.

God gives us all free will. God is not a bully who would force anyone to serve him. You can make your own choice.

Where does the old testament say the that you would be put to death for heresay if you take the religion door to door?

Post Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:16 pm