www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

FRA & RFL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Dave implied that the RFL and FRA were the way in to the US/UK.

He joked that they were keeping us out so we would wont in therefore submitting to RFL/FRA control.

Maybe I read too much into narrow band communication. Just a joke. Very Happy

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:31 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

If dave decides to share less with us because I had a rant at him, thats not my problem. I am not representing the whole of Australia. I'm just an EO who doesnt like unnecessary beauracracy.

If anyone else can think of anything they want the RFL/FRA to discuss that relates to us, feel free to bring them up, I'm sure they'll be kind enough to let you know what they decide.

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

on topic: I would like to know the RFL / FRAs stand point on consumables in regard to CO2 in pneumatic robots. The two rule sets differ a lot on this point.

off topic: I don't know how many people here have actually gone out a sought corporate sponsors, venues and other EO stuff here but I can tell you this: it is much easier to convince someone that you have a legitimate idea if you have something like the RFL or FRA to back you up. Most large corporations don't want to deal with some small time guy wanting to set up a comp for his mates but if they see some fancy acronyms they start to pay attention. If you don't like the ideas of comities then I am afraid your only other choice is to run the event as a small business with an ABN. It will involve much more paperwork but the insurance is easier.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Sounds like you still wont your co2 on top of your 30lb. Smile

I think you will find FRA has professional liability to cover there comitie. They don’t do anything for public liability at events.

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:24 pm 
leo-rcc

FRA rules give our feathers 600 grams of co2 on top of our 12 kg robot, and 2 kg on top of our 100 kg heavies. You have your CO2 within the 13.6 kg? So what happens on a hot day and you cant get your bottles full enough?

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:31 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Robowars rules 13.63kg max weight.

If you can’t fill your bottle to bad but venue is air-conditioned and there is a refrigerator provided.
If King Cobra isn’t hogging it to cool his dewalts and batteries. Smile

Qld rules seem flexible; bots have competed at various weights.

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:51 pm 
maddox

I don't have much to add to Spockie-techs rant.

Less bureaucrats, more fun.

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:24 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
decalkins

quote:
Originally posted by kkeerroo:
on topic: I would like to know the RFL / FRAs stand point on consumables in regard to CO2 in pneumatic robots. The two rule sets differ a lot on this point.

I'm actually in a lengthy argument with Steve Judd, my former biz-partner/dear-friend/former RFL commissioner/RFL secretary/author of the RFL ruleset about this very topic.

As commisioner, I'm for loosening the RFL ruleset to be more in line with the FRA. He's not. I'll win, 'cause I'm the commissioner. But these things take time.

As RoboGames/ComBots guy, I can tell you that the pneumatic systems at our events won't be as strictly enforced as the RFL rules stipulate.

No excuse me, while my commissioner brain yells at my EO brain for not practicing the party line.

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:44 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I feel the bot should be weighed as it goes into the arena.
13.6kg is what your bot is allowed to weigh.

The only reason to call CO2 a "disability" and hence grant it extra weight is if it offers something extra to the game. IE walker bonus because walkers are cool. Does Co2 offer that much benefit?

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:01 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

CO2 offers an advantage in powering certain types of weapons, otherwise everyone would have electric flippers, axes, etc.
Part of the challenge is fitting the extra complexity into the weight limit, and the reward is a powerful weapon.

The only fair way is to weigh on the way into the arena.

As an example, I generally only used 30-50g of CO2 per match, but should I be able to claim the whole 330g as "not counted"?

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

No one was asking what rules apply to compititions here in Australia and therefore I don't see why it is being complained about here where it is off topic. It was just an idea for these to guys to discuss between themselves. No one is replying for the opposite side of the argument in this thread.

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:00 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:

We're in it for the fun. Very Happy If a newcomer turns up with a 15kg robot(Budget Bot Razz), as long as it's reasonable (not ass loaded with a 5kg spinner powered by a magmotor or a 200mm bore ram with 2kg of CO2) we'll let them battle.

We invite people to our events to come and play for some fun, who is really gonna tell them to go home when their bot is a bit overweight, especially when they drove 200km to get here Razz

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:45 pm 
Wazio88

sounds like you just need a hug or something Mister Spockie-Tech...

I will ping in here too about the Pneu stuff. I am a fan of loosen' up that area of the rules for the RFL. As far as I know the FRA and Auzi will let you weigh your bot with the tank empty, us; we gotta weigh them full. Also some of the custom part rules are a little silly. I should not need a pressure gauage on a bot that is full pressure... Stuff like that... I think if we/you relax them a bit then people will build more pneu bots... Anyhoo i'll build mine reguardless.

Look foward to meeting all of you who plan of coming to RG. Ill buy each of you a drink! Glen gets a diet soda.

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Glen gets a diet soda

1 Glass of Vodka makes him miss plane flights home Laughing Imagine if he has to pay for another flying from the US, you'll be stuck with him for life Swayzio Laughing

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:56 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by TDT:

quote:

We're in it for the fun. Very Happy If a newcomer turns up with a 15kg robot(Budget Bot Razz), as long as it's reasonable (not ass loaded with a 5kg spinner powered by a magmotor or a 200mm bore ram with 2kg of CO2) we'll let them battle.

We invite people to our events to come and play for some fun, who is really gonna tell them to go home when their bot is a bit overweight, especially when they drove 200km to get here Razz

I am sorry if that sounded like a criticism as far as your different rules and procedures. It was not meant to be.

For those that don’t know Australian competition takes place in 3 states and each state has evolved differently.

I an involved in the Vic events.As in Robowars

NSW dose not give weight bonuses for Co2 as far as I know.

Nether does Vic.

Qld does I think.

Robowars has its own reasons for being strict on weight that was one thing everyone seemed to agree on at the time when we went from a relaxed 12kg to 30lb.
Robowars can have up to $1000 of prise money up for grabs and its tricky enough without overweight bots competing.

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:19 pm