www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

My New Electric Bike Conversion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
zx12r

My New Electric Bike Conversion

Here is a Picture i took this morning of my new Elation E Bike Conversion
The Conversion went well, but i cheatd a little by going to the bike shop to get them to install some bling bits for me
sealed steel axle (didnt use the one in the kit) , alum pedals, shimano shifters and some road tires

It works a treat, I took my Son to school this morning and didnt pedal once
Laughing of course you can pedal if you want to and when you do pedal you can easily reach speeds twice as fast as what you used to go

im thinking about welding some highway pegs onto the forks and installing a bucket seat as well Twisted Evil
i can see it now, pedal up to speed, hit the cruise control button, hands behind my head, feet up on the highway pegs and off we go to work Razz Razz Razz

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:19 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Those are just the $80 250watt geared motor from Oatleys with a matching controller Cool Nice work! Never thought of using the other MTB gears to be the main drive ones....

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:35 am 
zx12r

It has 4 gears at the front one is a permanent drive for the motor
the others are the usual gears you would find on any bike

the kit came from www.elationebikes.com.au
i dont have the smarts to build one from scratch Laughing

but i must say it works well

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:50 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

not bad!

Last night I went to a go kart place and they had electric go karts.
At first we were disappointed because we were expecting noisy stinky ones, but they actually went pretty well!
They were certainly comparable to the average indoor petrol ones, and the quietness made it possible to yell at other drivers quite well Razz

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:54 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

What are the battery packs used in it ?
Type & Capacity ?

How long/far do you get out of them and how long do they take to recharge ?

Does the manufacturer offer any cycle-use data ? Can you deep cycle them without killing them badly ?

I wonder if this could be a good application for the new Li-nS Cells ?

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
zx12r

ok

36V 10AH battery pack nimh
the kit comes with a charger that you can leave always connected

it takes about 3 hrs to charge from a full usable discharge
supposed to be about 500 cycle life

the esc has indicators on it so when it says empty you just turn it off and start pedaling Laughing

it last without pedaling for approx 1 hr
if you pedal well it last longer but i havnt riden it enough to know that yet
im gonna ride to work on monday it should easily get me there

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:43 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Not quite the Oatley motor, their 24volt 250W and the local power limit is 200W and I think they would be complying with that. The bike ones are 36volt.

Neat setup if I can’t get those motors working reliably in the bots I can hot up my pushbike. Smile

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:34 am 
zx12r

ok just between us

yes it is 200 watts
but under the esc there is 2 little wires and a tiny winy little switch with a tiny winy little screw

if you turn to the left, you get more power and less battery life, turn it to the right and you get less power and more battery life

but that is a secret Laughing

so it complys with the 200 watt rule when it arrive but if you have a screwdriver handy Razz well go for it

i ant the range so im leaving it where it was

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:52 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Laughing Nice.
I wonder if anyone's got a perm motor and put a *200W* sticker on it... XD

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:04 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

If I ever get around to putting my old electric bike back together I will need to be careful.

It runs a car starter motor; 2000w maybe I can claim I just got the decimal place wrong. Smile

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:08 am 
zx12r

well after testing my new bike on a ride to work and back i couldnt be more impressed or happy with it

Hills that normally caused me to have to change back to 1st gear i went up with ease in 15th gear
it used to take me 1hr solid to ride to work and i would be covered in sweat
now i seem to be doing it easy in 35mins (depending on lights), im still sweaty just not as much

you still have to pedal (u dont have to, you can just go faster if you do) if u just use the motor then your speed is about 15 to 20 k's depending on the road, but if you pedal u can maintain 30 to 40 k's its just like having a second person pedaling with you Laughing

I Love it

Just as i get to work it starts to run out of power, this is for 2 reasons, the run time was calculated using a person fa lighter than me Laughing and also i turned the little hidden power switch up so i get max power and this of course cause more drain on the batteries

you can buy a second power pack (or make one) ((i prolly buy)) Laughing
the second battery plugs into the first batteries charge plug and then the second batteries charge plug becomes the new charge plug, then you have twice the range

when it starts to run out of puff however you can still get good push from it by using a lower gear, when you are in top gear the empty light comes on as you roll on the throttle, but when you are in a much lower gear and roll on the throttle you can still hold 2 to 3lights on the meter

a smarter person than me would be able to explain the dynamics of this Embarassed

What a fantastic little invention, i can get to work for about 5 cents of electricity and i can get home for free because i charge it up at work Laughing

i intend to use the money that i used to spend on petrol each week to increase my mortage repayments and work towards a future that is free from debt Razz

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:02 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That 200w limit is a complete waste of time after they bike kit is sold - anyone likely to ask would have no expertise to tell what power your bike developed and they would need a dyno to check it. I'd definitely put an un-marked Perm motor on my bike (if I had a bike, that is...)

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:29 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I'm sure a LEM130 would be sweet on a bike Cool

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:04 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

If you dont mind trailing an extension cord around with you Wink

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
zx12r

well thats the thing you could mod it for more power but then id have to mod the esc (maybe ? I dont really know) and install more batteries

and its quite ok how it is

my preference is to have an electric car that you can plug into the wall, but that takes more $$$$$$$$$$ than i CURRENTLY have Razz

what i am wanting to do in the short run is the little secret dial that has 2 wires on it and when you turn it, it ups the power

well as the batteries draw to an end it would be good if you could have a knob on the handle bars so you could dial down the draw and extend the run time, at the moment you have to roll off the throttle which is kind of hard to maintain with all the bumbs and movement

but me not knowing much about these things, I dont know what little knob from dick smith would do the job

???????????

so if anyone can point me to a amp draw upperer knob thingy i would be thankful Razz

ooooooh and if it could handle a little rain it would help as well Laughing

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:22 pm