www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Super Featherwieght
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

This topic is making me think of the olde weight bonus discussion.
Give me a 50 percent weight bonus for a tracked robot is what it sounds like a bit. No obs here.
If the spinners weight was limited to a featherweight and certain other types got say a bonus weight for using their imagination then maybe.
Dont really know what was said so just thinking out loud

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:12 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Maybe also give the CO2 builders back there gas....

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:16 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Aaron.. build one ,compete with one, then your qualified to even comment about it.
Does anyone think im pushing this for any other reason than what i think will help development of robot combat in this country.sorry but i dont need that BS all i want to do is build and battle robots till the day i die ,im not in it for the short call.
the folks i spoke to are who i reckon are qualified to have an opinion and they like the idea, hell if someone else thought about it id would be all over it with joy.
how about some folks look at the positive aspects of it instead of typical negative opinions.

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:20 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

IIRC major chip hazard is only about 16 or so KG, which would make it a first "super featherweight".
Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:32 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Aaron.. build one ,compete with one, then your qualified to even comment about it.

Lol, good ole cheap shot sarge Laughing I build bots, I compete with them, and I'm qualified to have an opinion in this sport.

You've always been pushing for more weight to play with even since the old days Chris, I find it a little hard to not think this is being pushed for personal reasons....

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:48 pm 
cerberus3112

okays heres a question for you to answer my robot wheelie-good bot is at 13.6 killograms but it has no weapon its just a ram bot so would I be alowed to put a 6 KG or so hammer on it and turn it into a thwak bot.
Which I just could remove it for feather fights.
Question:
okay would this be allowed as the thwak bot is a kinetic spinning weapon just in a different form? or is the restriction only for continous spinning weapons?

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:46 pm 
assassin

Would your motors, gearboxs, batteries, speedcontrollers, frame handle it thou? Wink

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:53 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

I'm not quite sure that you can evolve the sport this way. All I can see is that this will create another requirement on builders. Most builders won't have the time or money to run two similar bots with 6kg difference, so either their bots will have to be modular, 13kg, or restricted to the superfeatherweight (SFW) class.

At 13kg, they will be at a disadvantage against heavier opponents, modular will require two sets of parts to be used for different competitions and SFWs will only get to compete in selected competitions. How many arenas are built to hold a SFW version of high power rambots, who are already bending the melbourne arena out of shape?

People are starting to move into lightweights, whether it's a team with lots of parts like Gary's, or in a combined effort like Glen and Angus are putting together, or even the matched cluster bot from Aaron, and Andrew.

Each different class of building has their own strengths and weaknesses, and if you don't like one class, move yourself, not everyone else. If builders want more weight to play with than move into lightweights, otherwise they can stay with the cheaper featherweights.

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:33 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by assassin:
Would your motors, gearboxs, batteries, speedcontrollers, frame handle it thou? Wink

They're using two 200W 24v scooter motors for drives, i think they can handle it! Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:40 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

@ BH mike as i said its not about new classes we simply dont have the numbers to carry more than 1 class ,so do we stay with the same old feathewrweights or go forward .
@ Aaron 86 battles at 13.6 kg ohh please if people think im doing it for personal reasons and have trouble with the rules look at the stats, Most regular compeditors can build at that weight for the next 20 years .but does it get the fire in the belly going after 4 years of regular competing.Im willing to admit things need to proceed forward, how about we all think a little bit beyond personall reasons and think about the next 4 years and where we all want to be.

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:41 pm 
cerberus3112

Hell yeah!! It would handle it that what it was designed for except my weight calculations were like 4 Kgs off. I didnt no the tire was so heavy Laughing
If not I have a plan for a bigger badder version with 4 300W motors at 36 volts and a hammer Wink (light wheight sized of couse)

so which one is allowed? the light weight one or the SFW one?

About the arguement happening I dont care which class is decieded on I just want to build my bots and smash it up on others peoples bots whethers its ants or heavyweights it dosn't matter to me.
1 thing as well if you dont have the budget for a BIG SUPER robot just save up 10-20 dollars a week or fortnight and eventually you will have enough to build that BIG SUPER bot or learn how to scrounge skillfully things can be found so much cheaper than you think just have to look hard enough. Wink

Last edited by cerberus3112 on Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:51 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
okays heres a question for you to answer my robot wheelie-good bot is at 13.6 killograms but it has no weapon its just a ram bot

Your running a pair of 200watt scooter motors Razz They are heavy, powerful motors. You could shift down to a pair of 100watt scooter motors and save half the weight, giving you that bit more weight to play with.

Chris, for 4 years you've been pushing the weight limit to go up. I don't know what your trying to achieve, evolving the sport doesn't require us to move up the weight classes or build bigger bots... If you want to play with bigger bots, start pushing for an active lightweight competition, I know Gary and George are game, and they built the bots to that class.

If your trying to make it easier for new comers to build due to that extra bit of weight, you will still find people turning up with bots that have no weapons and are chasing more weight... I really think what your after is Ultibots, you can play with a lot of stuff there, and you'll only have to travel to VIC to play, which would be different for you since you've never headed interstate before Smile

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:55 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

If there aren't the numbers to run two classes, changing the current class won't help the situation. People will either have to upgrade to the new weight or be left behind reducing the number of competitors. People are starting to move into lightweights, and given time, we will be able to sustain 2 classes.

I just think that forcing evolution is a bad idea.

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:56 pm 
cerberus3112

100 WATTS never I like my motors big powerfull, power consuming and heavy Laughing Im game for lightweights

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:57 pm 
assassin

I'm a perfectionist, I could spend a life time on one design and still not be happy with it Very Happy .

I think technology will(and has) changed so much, that alone changes things year to year.

I can't see myself getting bored with the featherweights ever, but thats just me and I'm just one.

I guess its up to the EO's, give it a go.

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:00 pm