www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

The Wall - The War Lord - SA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

The Wall - The War Lord - SA

I had a thought on the Robowars forum. The perfect fix for the spinners. So that lead to the creation of ‘The Wall.’
(I also what’d to learn about sheet metal cad design.)
One end is a wall of steel. The other is a wedge of steel.
But with one thing that is different, and that is a secret.
The idea of this bot is to run into or let anything run into it and it will hardly move.

This thing is designed to take the biggest hits that can be thrown at it and just stand there and say
“Is that all you have.” As it rams you, back.
Problem! It will only work in some arenas, however it will take a pounding from anything and can compete in all events.

The whole bot is made from one folded sheet of steel, with welded seams. Trying for a 5 mm wall thickness, but that will depend on weight.

http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=157

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:46 pm 
mytqik

Ajax,

It seems that you & I share a couple of things.

1. The use of solidworks to model our robots Very Happy
2. Designs for a robot. That image looks very similar to the one I am designing. I have posted 2 pictures in the photo album of the frame of my bot. At the moment I am refining the design with FEA before building it.

Very similar in concept. Invertable, wedge on one side, push bot on the other & heaps of armour. I am having trouble getting under the 12kg using UHMW armour & 2mm for the frame. Either you know something about steel that I dont or or bot is tiny. Laughing

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:11 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Try 3mm titanium and hope Inspector General doesn't find you Smile . I'm pretty sure 5mm steel in a featherweight is impossible and not really necessary after having a match with The Rat.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:52 am 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

i got 3mm lol

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:59 pm 
Eyce

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Try 3mm titanium and hope Inspector General doesn't find you Smile . I'm pretty sure 5mm steel in a featherweight is impossible and not really necessary after having a match with The Rat.

I've got 4mm + Rust Laughing

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:09 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

heh 5mm would be a bit OTT

KO and cobra are the spinner killers of this world (talk about up being up myself Razz ) and with 3mm steel and 6 aluminium i couldnt see anything that looks threating in the armour.

scrap sawed on tims steel for a few secs and there was some marks but nothing thats really even dug into the metal.

cobras taken a full whack in the face by annihilation, its dug 4mm into the 6mm ali and bent it big time (not surprising given the plate is supported only 60mm of its height, 400mm apart..) and that was at full speed charge on my behalf and full spin by annihilation which is probably as much power as youll see in a spinner in this day and age.

besides the ability to turn back around and keep on slamming into the spinner is what matters, not some OTT armour system. youll just be a 12kg chew toy if a wire shakes off or a wheel strips Smile

best wishes for the build tho Very Happy

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

OK, just to let your fears increase (or not.) hear are some specs.
Sepcs may change until final design is completed.

Hight: - 130 mm (Body only)
Width: - 350 mm
Lenght: - 335 mm

Body weight: - 7.2 kg (That is with nothing in it.)

Drive Motors: - XU1 codeless drill.
Wheel Dia min: - 125 mm
Wheel Dia max: - 145 mm
Wheel width: - max 30 mm

Now the important part.

Armour: - 4 mm steel plate, folded, with no frame.
(Frames just add weight.)

mytqik
The main differance between yours and mine is that I don't plan on having a frame.
This is a one piece sheet of steel, that will be cut & folded in to shape, and a lid that will bolt on top.

Once this bot is built I don't what to do any thing else to it. No repairs mod's or any thing, during an event. (Only time will tell if that happens.)

I am trying to get the total weight down under the 12 kg, so I can use better wheels & motors.

Oh, by the way, I am building a little secert into this bot. It will only be use at some events.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:54 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I make the body weight 9.2 Kg, unless you are drilling huge holes in it...

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:11 pm 
mytqik

Ajax,

Are you using solidworks to calculate the weight for you? If so have you set the material density correctly, cause I can't see how you can use 4mm plate & get it that low. I am using UHMW plastic which is a seventh of the weight & I still end up with 6kg for chassis & frame & my bot is similar in dimensions.

Unless your secret weapon is an anti-gravity leviation device Laughing

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:07 pm 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

Yes I am using Solidworks to calc mass. But it could be wrong as I am still learning. This is what I am doing.

I select the 'Tools' menue
then the 'Mass Properties'
then select 'Options'

and in the 'Material Properties' I enter '0.2836 lb/in^3'

Click on OK

Then system changes the Material Properties value to '0.00791645 gram/mm^3'

And the mass is calculated. If I click on recalculate there is no change to the value.

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:41 pm 
mytqik

that is definately the right way to do it. I like how you have made the robot as a sheetmetal part, easy to flattern & produce a cutting/folding template. Pitty solidworks needs the refiefs in the corners to flattern it, as these can detract from the overall appearance of the model.

When I think about it 7.2kg / 7850 kg/m3 = 9.17x10^-4m^3 of steel
divided that by 0.004m = 0.229m^2 of steel & then square root = a 0.478m square sheet of 4mm steel. This seems entirely reasonable given the dimensions of your robot.

I think that incorporating armour/chassis is a great weight saving idea (matter of fact I may even "borrow" that idea. Smile )Plus much less work than building a chassis & mounting armour. Just a PITA if the armour gets damaged during a battle, it would be very hard to repair in the pits.

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:49 am 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

I'm glad I'm doing it right. You had me worried for a little while, as I am planning on having the plate cut and folded with in the next two weeks.
I thought I might be getting something back that would be good as a boat anchor.

It will be good to see how it come out as this is my very first sheetmetal part drawing. I fixed a little problem with the drawing and it all folds out now, so it is full steam ahead.

I have desided to mak a bit of a change to it, and I will post an image as soon as I have finalised the drawing.
And make sure that I am not going over weight.

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:18 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

correct me if im wrong but wont folding the metal weaken the hell out of it compared to welding the panels together.

and advice - dont have long unsupported spans, its gunna bend, 6mm steel and all Smile

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

Folding can weaken the steel, if the incorrect steel is selected.
I don't see it as a problem, I just have to make sure I select the correct steel.

I am welding some ribs on the inside of the body, to help suport it.

Solid works has a stress utillity, build into it, So I can apply a force to a area of the body and see what happens. this will help to determine where the ribs need to be and size.

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:54 pm 

i dont think you will be bending it your self unles you have a some realy good tools lol Very Happy i built sharp shooter out of sheet metal .

Aaron did the plan in cad and i just added some extra foldsand tabs for strength it was made out of about 1mm stainles steel and that took some bending to shape by hand i only welded the seams and tabs where they overlaped ..it came out extremly light and strong i even bent the sides of the wheel cut outs up inside the bot at 45degrees away from the wheels makeing a tab each side instead of cutting a large piece out ... that strenghened the thin sheet up to no end

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:03 pm