www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

The Wall - The War Lord - SA
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
mytqik

Just a tip with the inbuilt stress utlity (comosworks express). It only allows you to apply a pressure or a force uniformally distributed over an entire face. Since force x area = pressure, the two options are the same.

Since a spinner hitting a panel has completely different force pattern to that of a uniformally distibuted load, extrude a small face, similar in size to that of a spinner tip. I use 2mm x 2mm & extrude it 1mm. then select this face as the face to have the load applied to it. This results in esstianly the same as a point load, which is much more true to life.

As for restraints, the most accurate way would be to select your wheel/motor mounts, however if these aren't modelled in yet, just select the lower face of the sheet metal part.

Hope this helps. email me on mytqik at hotmail dot com if you have any more specific problems. I am online about 20hrs a day so you can MSN on the above address if you like.

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:11 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

that last post was by me ( Andrew team vertex) not sure why it didnt ask me for my password lol but i dont think im a guest Very Happy

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:13 pm 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
dont think you will be bending it your self unles you have a some realy good tools lol i built sharp shooter out of sheet metal .

I am getting a profile cutting company to cut it out and bend it. They have a ten ton press. I think that should do the job.

mytqik,
Thanks for that, I have played around a little with it, I think I have most things sorted out.
It not the fisrt time designing sheetmetal stuff, its just the first time I have done it in CAD. It does make things easier. Very Happy

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:33 pm