www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Huntsman - Hellfire Labs - QLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Author    Thread
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, I'm thinking it can be made out of a bit of mild steel 4" NB 40 SHD Seamless pipe, but I can easily change to 5" or 6" if someone finds that first. I scaled it down to a 2" pipe for a feather but it was rather heavy would be better out of aliminium in that class.
Now I just need to redesign the CAD again. Already gone throught two FP and one LP model except I change my mind and delete them.

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:33 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Remember Rule One

Redrawn 50 times and the last few months. Started with HP pneumatics and changed to LP and then back to HP again. I've calculated that HP pneumatics will get 3 times as much energy into the axe and cost a third the price.
The model isn't finished yet but I'm behind in my timeline.

I'm going with an inverted wedge with 10mm armour on the front. Listening the the builders on Killer Robots it seems that 3/8" armour is considered thick on a heavyweight. The inverted wedge is because unlike everyone else I actually want to be on top of the other robot.

The computer has the weight at 95kg and its starting to get hard to reduce that without reducing the weapon.

A 20mm box section frame with 10mm plate in critical parts.
The robot needs to be painted Saffron if I keep the Sweeper name.

A 100mm bore 150mm stroke ram with a 1" Burkert and no buffer. I've calculated that this setup will be fine and I won't need more flow as the axe will take 200ms to swing.
A low pressure setup on the other side of the ram will retract it and self-right but I haven't drawn the QEV because I don't know the dimensions, will need to buy one first.

The chain and sproket setup on the weapon axle is my biggest concern and I'll be tweaking this part of the design. I prefer a solid pusher and a twin chain for the return.

500W scooter motors for drive with Vedetta drive train.

Pretty standard electronic which I haven't finished drawing yet.

I'll start preparing drawing for quotations on the difficult parts this week, the ram and the profile cut parts.

Post Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:27 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Didn't like that design and started again

Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:03 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

so many CAD man hours Razz

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:38 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

not really. That was two weeks of bus trips to and from work. I bring my laptop on the bus and draw. Its not finished yet because I'm having troble getting the batteries to fit. Or actually the wires from the batteries pass through the top cover but its possible the dimensions on the hobbyking website are incorrect. I also don't have most of the dimensions for the weapon motor and its speedo so I'll be ordering them as soon as they come into stock.

Anyone know somewhere that will profile cut some 20mm thick plate for me?

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:35 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i dont think that one tooth disk would work if its been offset like i think it is, it would effectively act like a two tooth disk as it is Razz (or maybe it is a 2 tooth heh)

Oxycut will do 20mm. Dylons 2nd egg beater came out awesome, but they do occasionally do pretty crap work ala Dylons 1st egg beater lol

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Large brushless motors on hobbyking never come in stock.

You will be waiting a very long time.

Steve

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:58 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I'm not sure why it'll act as a two tooth disc. The tooth has an effective dia meter of 600mm, where as the opposite side is 500mm.

I can be patient with hobbyking for a few more weeks while I build up funds. People own those motors so they must get them from somewhere. I've put my email on the waiting list and refreash the page every morningand night.

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:13 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

The waterjet place I use in Brendale will cut up to 150mm plate if you want.
+1 to Stevo's comment, been waiting for 12 months for one model of large brushless to come in at Hobby King but no luck. Other option is spend $500+ on a decent Scorpion brushless Smile

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:27 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Every single non scorpion large brushless is out of stock at hobbyking, I have no idea what they're doing. Shocked
Is there any plans of what to do with said heavyweight if it gets built? Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:09 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Go the axe bot. They are more exciting. Spinners have been done to death.

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:26 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah I dont think i've ever seen a design like the yellow one.(the front on it looks like it could amphibious ..... Both designs look pretty epic!

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:58 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I love axes but the axe design wasn't sitting comfortable in my mind. I couldn't design it with an axe that weighed less then 10kg. I used chains to pull the axe over and allow for 60 degrees over swing to take impact loads off the ram. But this caused too many problems with retacting the axe. I needed too much force to retract with bungee, feeding low pressure into the same ram would have problems with chains jaming, a second small HP ram to pop the axe back was getting expensive with extra valves and electric motors/actuators where getting complex. Smashing something with an axe was easy but doing it a second time was hard.
So I thought about resetting the axe in the same motion. I still think about the 5kg swing hammer I used to keep on my desk. A set of 2 hammers mounted on fly wheel would be ideal but it could be down with one hammer and a counter weight. On impact the hammer folds back into the disc and can pass around for another hit. The hammer could be weighted with the motors power and gear ratio so the amount of energy lost is added back into the hammer during its rotation and it would effectivly hit continously without slowing down.
My logic then worried about losing blance when the hammer folded back and changed to a single peice disc, which is the vertical spinner that you see. But I can go back a step and draw the single counter weighted swing hammer on the bus ride home and see if it meets approval.

*edit* - after a quick calcution it seems a 3kW motor turning a swing hammer at 3000rpm can only deal 60j hits without slowing, which would be a 13.5g hammer on a 600mm diameter arc. Maybe better for a big smash and then wait for the energy to build again.
Also seems that 3000W would drive a single 5kg hammer at 418rpm. About 7 impacts per second at 47km/h

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:37 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

What about an upscale version of Avengers electric hammer? Pair of Oatley 24v 500w motor on 48v-60v should be able to swing a 5 - 10kg hammer with some punch.

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:28 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

damn you Aaron. Now I have to start again

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:43 pm