www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Savager - Team Savage - WA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Author    Thread
Fish_in_a_Barrel

The bit before that in 2.2.2

Judges may request the combatants to demonstrate operability of their robots drive train and/or weapon following the end of the match, before the arena doors are opened. Judges may inspect the Combatants robot after a match to determine how best to award damage points.

If the weapon isn't operable, then the I would assume that it is because of damage, if I was judging

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:30 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Off topic sorry. Just something I am annoyed with the judging guidelines.

I think the part that people find annoying is the word "damaged". There is nothing wrong with the robot. A robot with flat batteries is not "heavily damaged". Yes it counts against the robot but it is a bit much to have your robot lose because of "damage" even though the other robot may not even have touched it.
You also need to remember that you have to explain to the audience why a robot won a fight. A unknowledgeable audience member will not understand "damage points" if they can't see large holes in the opponent.

That word has always annoyed me since I first read those guidelines and saw that flippers can only ever inflict "light damage" even if they dominate their opponent but that is getting even further off topic.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Don’t won’t to turn this thread in to yet another judging argument but people who let Grenades off in there own build threads have to expect that. Smile

First off even if you confine the Style points to your narrow strategy definition a launcher that works would get Style as well as Damage points for a successful attack.

Under Robowars more entertainment focused Style points a launcher can score very highly in style points.

If the Launcher’s opponent takes physical damage when it crashes to earth that obviously is damage that should be counted.

If the bot lands with no physical damage why should it be penalized worse in damage points than if it had just been wedged.Question

Domination is really quantified under aggression and control.

If you are out driving your opponent and attacking more you’re dominating or owning especially if you are doing more damage and looking good. Aggression, Control, Damage and Style.

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:59 am 
Dreakoth

hmm i dont remember all these judging posts Razz i must have not read them hehe.

SO got me new robot designed up, new as in rebuild of my first one.

Now im wondering how well 8mm ali will hold up as armor? can i get some oppinions of what i can compare it to, other bots with similar armour perhaps.

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:20 pm 
andrew

YAYY, finally rebuilding it Razz.

8mm armour is pretty descent man, if you have angled armour then it would even stand up half descent to scissorhands and such, or when you build it design it so theres an air gap or a anti spinner setup. (steel wedge etc)

Whats the new design gonna be man, personally i think redesign it terrorhurtz/judge style with axe setup

If you can get eveyrthing reliable/strong and get a descebnt bang from the ram you could make a hardcore axe robot.

look into lil hitter for a good example, that thing dominates

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:52 pm 
RogueTwoRobots

'That thing' smashed my receiver to pieces and took a chunk out of my Victor at the UK featherweight champs in May. Boo to Little Hitter Smile

Seriously though, Little Hitter (as well as Little Flipper and Little Spinner) is a very well-engineered and successful machine on the UK circuit, definetly a role model for pneumatic axe robots. Hope I get my new robot ready for Christmas though so I can attempt to exact some revenge on it! Very Happy

Jamie

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:31 pm