www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Pinscher - Machine Head - Vic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Author    Thread
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Time for a Pic as I think its about done. Have added some armour to the weapon actuator system. It was the most vulnerable spot even though theres not a lot of robots that attack from the top gotta think about it.
BIggest thing to work out was how to mount armour on something that moves. A bit of trial and error and some luck made me come up with this solution.

http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=922

Its a piece from a kitchen sink thats just been bent to shape and has 2 springs holding it near where the actuator is mounted on the top jaw.
Needs a little something still to completely finish. It works pretty good at the moment, there is nothing else holding the armour on apart from the 2 springs at the front. If the armour gets knocked sideways at the back it self aligns when u next move it so the shape of the armour acts as a guide.

The problem to solve was apart from the movement it had to stay in place when a saw started cutting it so all corners folded down and some bending here and there it ended up like it did. Will add some sort of a guide behind the angle grinder to also lock it in place when it is down as well for extra security.
This was intended as an option when not using the front rubber armour but at a recent weigh in it was exactly on the weight with everything except for a couple of nuts and bolts.
Probably take it off if theres a chance might get inverted.

The nu drive is pretty much done, Pinion has still slipped a bit but trying nu method. Have found bushes from old battery drill (pre planetray) and pressed them into the large pinion gear with a vice then tapped the whole assembly onto the motor.
I think the robots pretty much done apart from maintenance. Speed seems good and have option to try other motors to double my speed to a ridiculous level which sounds fascinating but prob not required.

I should mention that this nu neck armour is ribbed, for your robots pleasure

Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:07 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Day after report.
Not a good day for the pooch, A few issues with the nu drivetrain and nu retreads.
First fight was against Formido which went OK, A few sparks from the saw blade but ended up with an early win.

Second fight was with reboot and nu tread was sliding alot so was getting hit a few times on wheels, didnt take long for a shaft to slide in the bearing disengaging the angle grinder forcing it to lock up, on both sides. Smoke was coming out of the robot but decided not to forfeit and let reboot do its worse. Was a bit of a sitting duck with no drive but waited for the moment to use weapon on reboot and managed to do that at end of fight.

Had to then remove armour, remove weapon, remove both drivetrain assemblies including the gears inside of the angle grinder. Almost forfeited but decided to ask Sidetrack if they could let me use their welding equipment to secure 2 gears to get it running again and they did with Garys help so Thanks for that.

A quick scramble to reassemble everything and with no time to spare got it put together for the fight with Scoopy.
Had some armour made just for Scoopy but my robots weight seemed heavier than last time so decided not to use it as it would have made me too overweight.
Lots of sliding around again but overall a good fight I thougt. The battle of the actuated armed robots, Lots of Sparks and a bit of arm wrestling but unfortunately one of the welds broke off the gear shaft so ended the fight with one side of the drive but heard it was a close judges desision with Scoopt winning by a point I think. Its funny with all the sparks that come out there wasnt really that much damage to be seen on the robot so glad that I have faced scoopy finally and was spot on in regard to where the saw blade was going to hit me, exactly where the armour was meant to be (Doh) but great to see my robot able to take getting sawed on its weapon and continue.

I seem to be my own worst enemy when it comes to combat as its mostly my experiments in the arena that let me down. One day I might stop useing the Gilligans Island school of robot building but err

Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:59 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Good work george pitty about those shafts comeing lose sounds like you might need to drill them smaller and press fit the motors next time.

But im gueseing your like me and dont have the mony to get new parts so will have to come up with a different way of secureing them .
Have you tried peening the shafts with a sharp center punch ? Ive done this before with some success but it depends on how lose the fit is .if you punch small divots it makes the surface spikey and a few thouth bigger in places so you can then press it back in along with some loctite .
Another way is to use a small sharp chissle and make groves along the length of the shaft so you end up with little raised sharp ...(spline) like edges alng the length of shaft also some times running a thread cuter down inside the hollow shaft will also stretch some material so it gets tighter then once again use loctite to take up the slack.

Post Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:36 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Guess have been a bit preoccupied with my new Puppy.
Sisters Dog had a litter so have become the owner of a really small cute dog. Have been thinking of ways to use T34 to help train the pup to attack as my hands are getting a bit sore.
Anyway dont know if its been done before but will soon start training the Pup using a robot as the bad guy and maybe make a small trailer for him to go for rides on being dragged around by the tank.
Poor puppy, will it ever forgive me.

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:31 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Couldnt resist
http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=949
Its part Chihuahua so wont get very big at all

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:11 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

woah scary weapon Very Happy

awwww so cute.. Razz i want another dog now..... things just get so boring when there gone

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

I remember when my Doberman was that small Very Happy They sure get big mighty quick! Razz

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:28 pm 
andrew

oh man thats gotta be the cutest picture ive seen for ages

Nice one dude. Looks like a awesome little fella

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:38 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Been a while since I posted here and talking about skids made me think to put up a post on how I have had mine on Pinscher for a long time know with good results.

Firslty it looks way over complicated but in short its running a wheel on its side that has been the best thing about it.

Tried cutting board for a while but it just wore out too quick but the castor wheel has been going strong for probably a years battles I think and still doesn’t show any wear.

The idea with the rest of it is basically how a small aeroplane has its rear wheel.
The spring is from a drill chuck and that gives it suspension and keeps wheels on the ground.

Best fight to see this working would be last years fight with Ballistic where the robot rear is bouncing around but the wheels stay on the ground.
The arm the wheel is bolted to is a piece of car tyre and the rest of the pieces used are small pieces of cutting board to basically hold it in place but it can be smacked around a lot and still stay on and give it some support and lift.
Why am I suddenly thinking of bras…

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1156&sid=70bbf8b1c36320a9502ba964c4863b9d

Post Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:24 pm 
andrew

that looks interesting, i think ill try that for orbti maybe if skids dont work out proper.

Im curious, wouldnt the wheel sideways andstuff scrape too much and provide too much friction also itl be under orbits disc area so om hits it may break.

Is a ingeniuos and differernt idea though

Post Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:44 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

I dont see how it wil break. Those wheels are pretty tough and its not like it will break into 2 pieces anyway.
I think the way u mount it will be more critical.

As far as resistance I cant honestly say but I kind of reckon it gives a large footprint with a small contact area and there are no corners as the wheels have rounded edges so it will behave exaclty the same in any direction u go and shouldnt get stuck on anything.

I think it will be good for undercutters though as when hit it will turn taking some of the energy and theres a bit of area that can take a fair bit of damage on the sides that wont affect it.

But like I said I think how u mount it is the weak point but at the same time it can be damaged and cut but as long as it doesnt fall off it will still work so use washers underneath to keep it on.

Post Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:27 pm 
andrew

yeah, i think ill give it a go, worst case i waste a few bucks so tis all good, got like a month to get it done anyway's properly so no pressure yet

Post Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:12 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Just an update on Pinscher, have decided to diesect this robot and rework its components into other projects.
On the short term have already started removing the transmission elements to use in a new bot.
The Jaws already are modular and will appear again but its really the body that’s getting put to pasture.
Main reasom is weight distribution, you can only do so much.

The body has served me well have to say. Its been around for a few years and even though statistically its not a high ranking robot it has proved to be capable of beating high ranked robots when its working. Pinschers main problems would have to be my own constant experiments in the arena. There was a time where I should have stopped but errrrh.

A few things of interest and am pretty happy to be able to make these claims.
Pinschers never suffered major damage to its body or weapon, problems have been related to radio/ibc or mechanical things coming loose like gears on shafts.
In its entire life it has never been completely knocked out, it always finished its matches with power on.
It has never forfeited, even if its had a problem early in the match and has been put in to fight at least three times with only one wheel sometimes with no weapon and has taken everything that’s been dished out.

The leather armour has worked a treat and of all the robots it seems to work best against bots like reboot. The only robot that has left a mark on the 3mm alumnium is one of the Keros bot, hellbringer I think with some cross arena charges with its spikes.
From the inside a small dimple is all that can be seen from that impact.

So I guess this is a farewell to the dogs body, and the dogs body thanks everyone for trying to kill it,
Ashes to ashes,
funk to funky

Now to build a fooking wedge…

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:47 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Hows bigs ya dog now george i just got myself a staffodshire bull terrier girl brindle in color now 10 weeks old>

http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1343

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:48 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Nexus:
Now to build a fooking wedge…

Our Aussie Donald Hudson will never resort to building a boring wedge.... We forbid it Razz

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:17 pm