Twisted Constructions
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Author    Thread
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Twisted Constructions

Update December 2015:

http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1112&start=555

Since its been such a long time since I actually built anything thought it was time for an update on my bots/projects, their current state is and what plans I have for next year.

Guess I should start with the big bot.

Double Dragon
Double Dragon is still sitting at Aaron's place and literally has not been turned on since it came back from the US. It has two issues. The need for speed controllers and the need for replacement motors with lower gearing.

To this end I have been looking at hacking the 200A Turnigy controller from hobby king but at this stage I have run into some difficulties. I have identified all the pinouts for the FETdrivers and have code which will run on the controller but it doesn't seem to be generating the outputs that I want. I have hooked up my OpenBench logic analyser and have confirmed that it is actually sending the logic to the FET driver but I don't know why it won't tern on the FET of the controller.

I may have actually killed the ESC which would be bit shit but can't be ruled out at this stage. I think I might buy a second ESC when I have some spare cash and just pull the logic board off it and check that both of them work by swapping out parts. This is currently on hold while I am in QLD and will be something that I hope to get done early next year.

As for the motors that hasn't really been looked at too much at this stage. Current plan is to add another stage to the current winch boxes which should bring the current draw right down. Once I get the ESCs working might make the trip to aaron's to pickup all the gear depending on if its in QLD or NSW but ESCs are step 1.

Naked Turtle
Poor Naked Turtle. After a very long time thinking about how I could fix him up and what I should do he has been dismantled into a pile of parts. It could still easily be reassembled and I think it will end up with a bunch of parts from Flying V which has also been decommissioned. I would say it has a 50% chance of being present at nationals this year in one form or another.

No immediate plans to fix him up at the moment but one I get my workshop sorted out the parts may one day magically appear in robot form.

Dool Saw
Dool Saw is probably the most simple robot I have to get up and running. The shell is still 100% fine. The rear pin was cut out after a massive hit from catastrophe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqSAXNaSTSE this took a good 30min and some serious hammer and hacksaw work to get it out.

The main failure at last years nationals was the drives. They were two speed gearboxes which had shitty clips to hold them together. I sort of liked the low speed driving but it wasn't exactly the most effective in combat. So my first step will be to upgrade the drives and put it back together without the weapon.

Not sure what I want to do for weapon yet. As the bot is 3mm hardox its probably going to be fine in the full spinner comp. Might need some slightly less flamboyant top plates as they will just get bent and some better welds but think it could probably hold its own. I am tempted to play around with some interchangeable weapons which can be bolted in. I think the simplest one would be to redo the vertical in a stable non-acutated manner.

This will probably be the bot which gets finished up for a Sydney comp or the nationals next year.

Green Ants Nets
The green ants appear to have gone down well again at the nationals. They are currently in the possession of Andrew for some more use. Not sure what the current state of them are but hopefully are all still somewhat running.

I still have plans to automate some battles between them using overhead cameras and code but it is unclear if I will get time to do that in the near future. I have all the individual parts but not a complete system that will work yet.

I am also considering doing a custom board to integrate a charger, radio and ESC for a complete ant weight controller. One ssue is that it would have to run off 1S which may be too low for the LV motors. I drew up a concept board in Altium a while back for use with a Bluetooth radio but might redo it to work with Tims Wifi Module and get a few boards made.

Budget Bot
The Budget Bot challenge for < $100 is now doable. I even have plans to do a board for $20 which will give you most of your functionality short of PWM and could work with the same ESP wifi module.

The robot will be completely constructed out of two drills and a sheet of ply. I have ideas in my head just need to sit down do a basic proof of concept driving board then do up a real design in cad then sit down and cut it out.

The end result that I want to get to is a tutorial which anybody can make for < $100 and a cheap controller board.

Events
I always have a few event ideas on the go currently there is the Nationals to work on remotely and also trying to do something in Canberra.

The nationals is mostly paperwork and few tweaks from last year so should be pretty simple to keep that going. I will hopefully be able to attend this year. Though I can't make any guarantees on that at this stage.

For canberra there is the issue of having an arena. I will see what I can do in my spare time to rectify this although with the issues surrounding storage and transportation this will likely be a long term goal.

Summary
Well it has been a pretty uneventful year for me robot wise. I only got to compete in one event with naked turtle in QLD at my parents place but it has been good to see that people have still been going in QLD without me and hopefully the nationals will continue.

Steve

Last edited by marto on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:12 pm 
Grassy

Looks good! Crushers are sweet (Razer addict talking here Laughing )

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:58 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

*Edited*

Last edited by marto on Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:35 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Got a bit more done today.

Metal plates are cleaned up and drilled.
Finished off drill mount but ran out of nuts for 10mm threaded rod and was too lazy to go to bunnings.
I also pulled apart my driving pile of parts and cut off the motor mounting plate.

I am considering cutting the centre section out of the support plates as they are pretty heavy.

Hopefully tomorrow will get the mount for the drill finished and maybe start shaping the crusing arm.

Post Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:17 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Well got a bit more done got some motor mounts added. Current weight with all the parts is about 7.5kg. So might need a bit of lightening but should be right.

Am waiting on some more bolts and nuts from dad should be down here sometime tomorrow.

Post Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:38 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

looks cool, you should add some little rings to the jaw where the motor mounts go past it on either side to stop the jaw getting twisted side to side

oh yeah and bend the ends together on the arm and weld em up. looking sexy Very Happy

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cerberus3112

looks cool
hmmmm.. looks similar to some other bot I saw execept steel

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:07 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Lol it prolly looks similar to a lot of things not really the most inventive idea. Just trying something simple for once but wanted to do something slightly more interesting then a brick.

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:55 pm 
Jason Team Grimlock

Another Crusher in the works-Coooolllll!

I love a crusher on any scale,and oddly enough, ive a set of jaws that
look almost identical to those youve made there! I test ran mine with
a new windsreen motor years ago-youre choice of drill motor power
is a good start I think( we tried running a rig with w/screen motors
a month ago, we burned 3 new ones out in 2 days-they just dont seem
to like being run back and forth).

Ive a couple of, ah alternative power ideas for these things-take a peek at
Firgelli Automation, It may be of interest to you-Good luck with it-Jase.

Ps(the jaws did work fine with a drill motor driving a threaded rod and
traveller out of an old vice to push them shut!)

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:19 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Firgelli Automation have some cool stuff but don't quite have the cash spare atm. Will continue with the drill for now but if i do a rebuild might look at getting something.

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:50 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Crushers seem to be the going craze at the moment, but someone should have a look into some Hydraulics Wink

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:56 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i was thinking you could make a close system with an axi style outrunner as the pump motor..

always wondered what the point of hydraulics was over electric geardown, then as jeff pointed out the hydraulics have the advantage of having the same power but far faster speed no load. Cool

i guess its concievable with a lathe. pump would be a problem though. there all cast iron and 5kg massive Crying or Very sad

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:26 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Hehehe... The only real solution is a fully custom design. I think I've seen one of those somewhere....

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:49 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

lol dont give away any more of my secrets Very Happy

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:35 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Lol. As long as you don't give away mine Wink

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:53 pm