www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Fryddog's Ant weights - ARC - SA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Fryddog

Fryddog's Ant weights - ARC - SA

Hey I'm Chris, the other half of Adelaide Robot Combat.
I've been a bit slack in documenting my bot builds so far, so here's my three bot line up so far:

Green Devil - A flipper made from lexan polycarbonate. The two horns allow it to flip itself back upright, should it ever be flipped.

Amber Ant - A rammer made from lexan polycarbonate. It's solid body and steel scrapper up front help it perform very well against spinning weapons.

Roach - A rammer 3D printed design by James2. I enjoyed using his Dynamo so much that I wanted one for myself. I still may give it some personalization down the track.

My next bot will be a horizontal spinning blade fighter. Just waiting on parts to rock up!

Post Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:51 pm 
James2

awesome placement of the leds in the Dynamo.

Post Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:29 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

What is the size of those bots? Awesome build quality BTW, its really rare to see tracks on an antweight.

Post Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:37 pm 
James2

The track one is my creation (my fav to). I have uploaded it to the net.
printed one off for Fryddog.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1215069
These bots are built to the UK rules and are with in the 4in rule.

Post Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:48 pm 
Fryddog

Had to pull apart the newly built Roach after accidentally shorting out the BEC with the receivers's antenna. Confused
So after a fitting a replacement ESC (thank god for spares) and a lick of paint, the Roach is looking pretty damn sweet.

Post Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:11 pm 
Fryddog

Been a while between posts. Haven't done much bot building until recently, I've spent a lot time on our Antweight arena http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2202. Anyway, here's some pics of my most recently worked on bots (no real changes to Green Devil and Amber Ant).

First up is Roach. Recently given a stronger chassis, a nice stand (thanks be to James2) and a spiffy paint job:

Second is Shrapnel! A new spinner with a brushless motor and pulley driven aluminium blade.

Took a lot of stuffing around to get him underweight however. I ended up cutting windows out of the underside and rear of the bot, scraping in exactly at 150g!
After tomorrow's fight, I'm gonna completely rebuild the chassis. I was thinking polycarbonate again, but only used in the top and bottom plates and use 3D printed components to build him up in between. This should free up a lot more weight for me to make a better weapon blade, aluminium just doesn't cut it.
...Get it? Very Happy

Last edited by Fryddog on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:48 pm 
evil_steve

Shrapnel looks awesome, kinda glad it only has an aluminium blade. Are the pulleys 3D printed?

Post Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:17 pm 
Fryddog

Yup! I've been sussing out the program Sketchup and designed a couple pulleys. These were emailed to James, who kindly knocked them out on his printer for me!

Post Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:01 pm 
Fryddog

Okay!

Not such a hot run this month with my Antweights.

- Green Devil was waaay too touchy in his first match. Turns out after I flashed new firmware onto my FlySky transmitter, I completely forgot to redo all the trims and expo adjustments.

- Shrapnel performed pretty well for my first spinner, he caused mainly cosmetic damaged but man he was fun to drive in the arena! However, I overlooked a pretty embarrassing design flaw that only took a small tumble to expose:

My bad!
So now back to the drawing board. I'm gonna redesign him to be completely 3D printed, but still in a similar shape. This way I should be able to overcome this flaw, make him look cooler and free up some weight for a heavier weapon blade. Very Happy

Post Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:27 pm 
Fryddog

After several versions and prints (thanks James2!), I think I have a version of 3D printed Shrapnel that I'm happy with and should keep under weight.
He was a lot flashier looking before but a LOT of cutting down was required or I'd only be able to use a popstick as a weapon to keep under weight! Rolling Eyes

Post Fri May 06, 2016 9:08 pm 
Fryddog

In between paint coats and work on Shrapnel, I've knocked up a simple little bot.
He is a horizontal whacking bot, named 'Screw It'. Very Happy

Like most of my other bots, he's made of 3mm polycarbonate and has the usual inside (30:1 micro gear motors, cheap esc's, mixer etc). He also has two 6mm screws that I grinded down to points. (pretty darn sharp too!)

Post Tue May 10, 2016 6:31 am 
evil_steve

Love it, especially the name!

Post Tue May 10, 2016 6:51 am 
Fryddog

Man I'm good at leaving this shit to the last minute!

With Adelaide's next meet being tonight, I've just got my version 2 of Shrapnel finished and ready!

This time round, Shrapnel has a 3D printed chassis, motor clamps and pulleys. Plus the following:
- Two 30:1 micro gear motors, each with some cheap ebay 10A ESC's.
- A 2300KV brushless outrunner motor, with Turnigy 10A BESC. A printed pulley is glued to the outrunner body.
- A 120mAh LiPo to keep him (hopefully) spinning away for those fun filled three minutes.
- A Spectrum receiver. I originally had a flysky Rx connected to a V-Tail mixer, but went with the Spectrum so I could use my spectrum tranmitter to do the mixing for me. Should save some weight!

Shrapnel unfortunately uses an aluminium bar for it's spinning weapon. I had an awesome steel bar ready but once I put the whole thing together, it was about 10g overweight and I had to settle for an aluminium one so I can still compete with him tonight.
Turns out I made a rookie mistake in my calculations and left out the weight of the weapon shaft and all of the screws to hold everything together. Urgh!

So next week, back to the design phase to shed that extra weight!

Post Sat May 14, 2016 4:39 pm 
evil_steve

Damn, you got it done! Now I gotta face it! Very Happy

Post Sat May 14, 2016 4:53 pm 
evil_steve

So, this is what Shrapnel did to Botbitz Blue:

Once you get that steel blade on there, I think I'll need to get another chassis printed. Or several.

Post Sun May 15, 2016 10:50 pm