www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Unnamed - Team Ellis - QLD
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Author    Thread
assassin

Unnamed - Team Ellis - QLD

Ok guys, I thought I would show you this design I have been working on. Its no use me keeping it to myself as everyones input will only improve the design and allow for less errors.

I now own a Lathe and was getting bored with bots without a large single weapon, so I came up with this:

Its like a FBS drum!

Keys specs:

Colson 8 inch wheels
3.2mm Hardox drum
UHMW structural/bearings
Hardox wheelie plates and UHMW wheelie wheels
Dewalt drives, Low gear
Sidewinder
1910 or 1912 Neu Brushless weapon motor
A123 cells

Ive been playing with a prototype in the shed, which is built very different than the finished bot will be. But it does allow me to drive something around that will be similar, and give me an idea. Its also be modded since this pic.

So, any thoughts comments ideas would be appreciated. Thanx guys.

Post Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:56 am 
Waddy the phoenix

looks awesome Very Happy the only thing that i will point out is that whenever you hit something its gonna flip and flip big time... everything is gonna have to be imensly shock mounted and you will need to have hardcore center "axle" to prevent the robot ripping itself in half when it lands.... what you might want to considder is installing front flip bars... just two peices that extend fromthe front about 50mm perhaps even a flat peice of steel would do, and remove the wheely bars... the main reason i say this is because on drum hit the plate will stop you flipping and you wont loose much drivability with it because swapping from forward to reverse will cause the whole robot to "roll over" and the plate will be on an angle Smile you can then use it for a wedge Smile... the benifits are there in letting you pick your weopon against adifferent sorta foe instead of relying on the drum to do all the work and when you are using the drum its not gonna cause so much damage to itself because the robot is braced against the floor Smile

just my thoughts any way Very Happy but yeah it looks awesome Very Happy

Post Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:10 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Very interesting and inventive Cool. My first thought is that you don't want to expose the back of the drum - anything you hit on the downwards rotating side will just give your own bot some air time. Second thought is that the reaction force of spinning the drum up will flip the bot around on those litle stabiliser wheels; you might want to add a tail along the lines of an overhead thwack bot. I will be very interested to see how this goes.

Post Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:23 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Excellent! Ages back me and glen had a crack at a full body drum, this was our cad for it:

Not included are the weapon motor and anti spin supports, but a brushless could probably work pretty well.
Good luck with it! Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:33 pm 
assassin

Thanx guys.

The current wheelie design was made with driving control in mind, I haven't put much thought into spin up forces. Changes to the wheelie plates should be easy when I'm developing the bot, and I can try different lengths and sizes in mild steel before using the hardox.

I biggest dislike of the wheelie bars is there possible vulnerability to undercutters. But the hardox should be strong enough and the little wheels can be disposable.

Alright, so with the ability to be able to change the wheelie design easily I might start building then.

Post Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:02 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

3 wheeled wedges would be better. Kind of like Daffodil http://www.happyrobots.com/retired.html
Also have a look at Barerous from Robot Wars for ideas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF10jxa6JM4

It would be best to have the castor or wedges on the outside of the wheels. Then if its done right you could deflect horizontal spinner up away from your wheels.

And being flipped will never be a problem. Forward will always be with the drum spinning upward.

Post Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:22 pm 
assassin

Thanks Daniel there interesting links. My first design was a tri design with three wedge tips, but I went away from that to minimize the rocker effect. But once again the wheelie wheel setup can be changed during the build.

Having the wheelie setup on the outside of the wheels would be a lot heavier, I don't like weight. But if you could draw a pic, I would like to see it.

Post Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:50 pm 
assassin

I need some tips guys. I can get my Hardox drum made, but it's the drum teeth that are a prob. Looking @ the cad above... I was going to weld one long square tooth across the face of the drum 15mm X 15mm, and one on the other side of the drum(two teeth total). So with the drum sorted out, I was going to get the Precision Oxycut boys to cut me up some Bisalloy teeth. After speaking to them it was quickly clear that this wouldn't work, as the small diameter of the tooth(15mm) and the length of it would result in a belt/wavy piece. Silly me, I should have thought of that Laughing

So anyone got a alternative? I would like a 15mm X 15mm X 340mm HARD weapon tooth, to weld to my hardox drum.

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:49 pm 
maddox

Yes, take a piece square rod 15*15mm C45 steel. Drill 6mm holes in it, every 40 mm, countersunk these holes.

Hardened the steel by heating it to dark cherry-red and quench it in salt water.
Temper it by heating it, to the point it just isn't glowing any color, and let it cool down gently.

Hope it doesn't warp to much. Bolt it down with the best M6 bolts you can buy.

Do not weld it.

Other option, but more expensive. Make that out of a 20*20 square rod, and grind it down to 15*15 after hardening.

Further options. Case hardening. This gives the possibility to weld it down.

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
assassin

I have continued this discussion with maddox on MSN.

Basically, I'll discuss options with my local sheetmetal guys. As they are the one rolling the Hardox and welding it(I also wanted to steer away from a bolt on tooth for this bot).

But I'm very interested in doing/learning more about working with steels.

Also any more tips are very welcome.

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:05 pm 
assassin

What about this design, is this what you all want? Very Happy

Thanks for the design ideas Aaron.

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:20 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

how do you intend on hitting something wider than the robot itself Razz

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
assassin

The drum is 340mm wide, do you still think that would be a problem?

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:26 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

That's exactly what I had in mind Trent. Looks even better in the render though Smile That should help the driving a lot, as after driving your prototype yesterday (As piss funny as it was) it would be been extremely difficult to drive in combat. With 4WD and that big motor going in it, I think you'll be the one doing the box rushing Cool

WRT the design in combat, I think it's going to be exploitable by horizontal spinners, but with the track record of aussie horizontal spinners and driving in more then a drunken manner, I think you'll be safe Wink Now, Be sure to film the first spin up and the "Twirling Tornado" maneuver I discussed with you yesterday Laughing

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:08 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i think 50% of the robots in the country are wider than 340mm :p i think youd need to make it at least 400mm to be safe.

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:21 pm