www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Victorian Round Sunday 14th Oct
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Fair enough, its your table. Doesn't that mean the national table is pretty meaningless as well though?

EDIT: doesn't that also mean that the even more different "Daniel's Rules" results are even less likely to be included?

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:46 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

The what?
I updated all the tables a few months ago to make things quicker. It took several hours to do each one and when I came to the state tables I didn't think anyone was looking at them so I didn't think it was worth working for several hours on something no one looked at.
If no one downloaded your videos would you feel like it is worth your time editing them?
All the tables have exactly the same input data, they just use the data differently. The NSW state table just ignores the QLD and VIC fights which can alter the points. They aren't terribly special. They have no effect on the national table. Now telling me the wrong fight order, forgetting fights or telling me that forfeits are fights will ruin the national table.

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:01 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Double post just to be on topic.
What are the weapons on the two light weights?

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:18 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

OK, OK, nobody is saying you don't do lots of work on the tables. It's just that when I look at the national table and see that Jolt has a career total of 35 fights when it has probably had 20 fights just this year, then it is hard to rely on the rankings for accuracy. I believe that some of the older NSW bots have suspiciously low career totals too, while newer bots have accurate totals.

I know you have a complicated formula to calculate the rankings, but when I can see some higher ranked bots that Jolt has consistently beaten this year, I can't help wondering about the effect of the missing fights.

About the videos: I subscribe to the "If you build it, they will come" theory, besides, I really like editing so I would do it even if I never uploaded the clips.

Just on another off-topic note: how long before a bot is retired from the tables? I can see many bots from all states that will likely never be active again and that must distort the rankings of active bots. Perhaps an annual clean out can be performed?

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:44 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

Fireant is a clamp bot with flametrower.

Weasel is a wedge bot. Danny and Gary are probably better at discriubing their own bots.

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:16 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Nick - Jolt has had 35 fights in the last 18 months, 59 fights in its entire life life, including when it was called Basilisk. That's makes it 1 of only 3 robots that have been in more then 50 fights, 9 more then Orbit and Sorry. Maybe you forget to look at the historical table. I used 18 months to keep it comparible to the American table. There's 64 robots on the current table and 123 of the historical table and 4 lightweights and 4 beetles. 131 in total plus 7 robots that have only fought in melees which don't fit on the table (from the top of my head they are C4, Froggstomp, Hellbringer, Spiney Tiger, Cerberus (I think, was in one fight at the Annihilator), Maestro and Hybrid).

NMO - That's enough info. I'll just say Fireant is a claw since multi weaponed robots confuse me.

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:12 am 
Daniel Marshall
Experienced Roboteer

First off, I had a great day on Sunday, thanks to you all for coming.

There has been some more talk on the judging so either myself or or one of us will keep you all posted on the changes to the new judging system on trial.

Daniel, regarding Fire-ant, at present he has a flame thrower though after the sunday fight I believe it is to dangerous, so by the next event he will either have a different weapon or no weapon.

Neweyn, Thanks for all your help over the weekend, couldn't have done half the work without you.

Rick thanks for organizing the judging, very few are willing to put there hand up for that.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help and for packing up th arena.
I'll look forward to the next event.

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:14 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

@ Daniel: you are quite right, I forget I was looking at the 18 month chart - sorry about that! When you mentioned you spent hours on the tables, is that in Excel or in making the web page? I find that newer versions of Excel can turn a sheet into a quite acceptable web page nowadays.

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:06 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I work with excel. But I'm dumb enough to put capital letters instead of lower case and then spend an hour trying to figure why the sums don't work. And then give up and go to bed without caring about state tables.

Post Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:13 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Ok, all the tables are done.

Post Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:26 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Awesome! It's interesting to see Black & White zoom up the rankings and shows that you don't always need an active weapon to improve your bot's competitiveness.

Post Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:42 am 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Not sure if its been said already, but any videos of the matches?

Post Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:52 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Unfortunately no video at this entire event. Sad

Black and White and 6X7 have evolved into very tough bots.
Reboot fought both of them and probably did more damage to his own teeth than he did to them.
In the end his friction drive wheel partly collapse allowing the drum teeth to hit the weapon motor knocking a magnet loose.

Due to the way we were judging the fights using the rules Rick had proposed the failure of Reboots weapon actually worked to his advantage.

Rob could Control Reboot better without the vibration and gyro effects of the spinning drum and he could drive into Black and White easier therefore earning more Aggression points.

Could mean you are better off with a pushy bot to start with or it could mean you can have an active weapon without worrying if it fails and counts against you as the only damage that means anything is damage that adversely effects control and that’s not called damage but lack of control.

Post Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:04 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
allowing the drum teeth to hit the weapon motor knocking a magnet loose
at least it happens to the best of us Very Happy

ive tuned out totally to all the rule threads but whats with the driving around in the arena for 3 minutes? if the other has forfeited a win is still a win right?

Post Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

No a Bye isn’t automatically a free win.

Imagine if your controller fried at the end of a fight or you had taken so much damage that you couldn’t fix it before your next scheduled fight.

With this system to get the full win points in the round robin fights you must put your bot in the arena when your fight is scheduled and run it for the full 3 minutes.

Reboot smashed up a monitor until someone noticed all the bits of glass falling from the sky.

We think it is more equitable on the other competitors as the bot getting the bye still has to recharge batteries and doesn’t get extra time to repair and cant bluff his way through a round and the EO still gets a bot in the ring to keep his spectators entertained.

We call it a solo pass.

Post Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:23 pm