RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

Judging / Rules for a hypothetical -exhibition class-
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Judging / Rules for a hypothetical -exhibition class-

It sounds like the sport vs show issue has appeared again Smile

Remember, If you want to run events that are fun for the pubic to watch (so you dont have to pay for the entire cost of an event yourself), you need to make an entertaining show,

If you just want to encourage the robot with the finest engineering, that can kill its opponent in a few seconds, you have understand an audience will not want to watch one-hit-kills every 15 minutes, so youd better have a lot of robots lined up ready to be slaughtered one after each other - I dont think Australia has that many robots yet that we can do that.

I'm just pulling ideas out of the top of my hat here, so dont shoot me down if I overlook something..

For public events, how about the idea of running 2 differently judged classes in tandem ?

One "karate style" is judged in the damage, control, agression method, and leaves out the controversial style point, allowing people to build visually simple but deadly killing machines that can knock out their opponent in seconds.

The other "wrestling/exhibition" class is judged *purely* on which robot put on a better show for the most amount of time - not who killed who the other bot the quickest (something we presently call "Fillers". Who is left standing at the end would be irrelevant.

But instead of just treating the exhibition robots as just "Stand ins", the EO actually judges each exhibition match and totals up the points of each exhibition class robots performance at the end of the day, and prizes/trophies etc are awarded to the robot that accumulates the highest exhibition score - not necessarily which robot chewed its way through its opponents most effectively (which usually means quickly).

That way the builders who keep their batteries charged, their machines *working* and out there entertaining the crowd for the most time are rewarded for their efforts, making public shows more appealing.

There would be no point building an exhibition class robot that obliterates the opponent in seconds - that would score you very little points - in this class, it wouldnt be about who won the match, its purely how entertaining the match is played so to speak.

This class could run in parallel to the "serious" class, and highly destructive or quick-disable machines would be specifically discouraged in it.

Maybe I'm being silly, and its not practical, but it seems like an idea worth exploring... if EO's want to improve their show potential then its worth rewarding those who keep it moving along.

No doubt there will be plenty of arguments back and forth over the details of the rules, so I've moved this into the administration thread to not clutter up the 14th Oct thread.

Thoughts ?

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I find it difficult to explain to the average audience member why a robot that "put on a good show" beat the "simple but deadly killing machines". The audience know the idea of the sport. But that seems to be the way most of the suggested judging schemes are favoring.
If all that you want is to keep an audience amused then yes the robots need to have character. But this does not mean that a 5 second KO killing machine doesn't have character. If you ask anyone what their favorite robot is they are not going to answer Whamo because it always lasts 3 minutes and has bling. The audience like a dominant robot that wins easily and with style. Some of the most talked about and memorable robots in history have been the most boring looking (La Machine, Blendo, Biohazard, Chaos 2, Cassius, Vladiator, Megabyte). You can't dominate and get a fight to last 3 minutes.
If you don't agree that a robot should be rewarded for an efficient kill then maybe you should try another hobby like performance art or sculpture. They both seem more suited to some of the judging schemes I have heard suggested. I know I wouldn't go see a boxing match just to see fancy foot work.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I think something like this was tried, it was called roboxing.
(BTW, it sucked). Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:33 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I didnt say that the efficient killing machines should not be rewarded.

I suggested that for public events, an *additional* exhibition class where the robots are rewarded for longer duration entertainment could make it easier to put on public shows.

When you say "the most talked about" robots have been boring, I think you are forgetting that you are viewing things from a competitors perspective - where the competitors admire winning, so naturalyl discuss the most effective machines.

As far as the general public is concerned, some of the most talked about robots have been Mechadon, Sir Killalot, Warhead, Dr Inferno, Diesector, and other visually appealing yet not necessarily deadly robots.

Remember, this is a suggestion to *add* to the serious competition class for public entertainment shows, not replace it.

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I like it.
Well i like the idea, It'd be tough to define it enough to make it fair though without relying on "audience decision" (perhaps not a bad thing?)

Its the difference between the gymnastics and the weight lifting. One is pure power with one goal. One is more of an art form that requires a fair degree of power and that "special something".

Like the old Robort had. Yes jolt is the ultimate killing machine but robot drew just as big a crowd ;->

Admittedly Robort was particularly interesting *because* of jolt.

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
andrew

I also like it, this allows us to build them designs that cant be done in the spinner crazy era where at now

The lightweight im building is a clampbot lifter and although cool and different once spinners start appearing in the lightweight i will have to rebuild it into a boring box with a lifter or something to be able to handle them

This could be fun and ill make something for it down the track if it starts happening

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:53 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

It sounds like the Sportsman class that has had some limited success in the US. My suggestion would be to outright ban spinners, limit wedges and start out around the 30Kg weight limit

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:12 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
It sounds like the Sportsman class that has had some limited success in the US. My suggestion would be to outright ban spinners, limit wedges and start out around the 30Kg weight limit

Sounds like the lightweight class before the NSW builders started building them.

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:29 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Sounds like the lightweight class before the NSW builders started building them.

You mean before Nick started building them. Laughing So much for Lightweights being a place to build interesting bots... Rolling Eyes

I liked the Sportsman class over in the US, I just reckon instead of banning wedges and forcing people to essentially build boxes, they should look into enforcing that every robot has an active weapon, at the digression of the EO under the spirit of the sportsman class to prevent people building Super Wedges like Cobra with a 25g brushless motor spinning a drill bit as an "Active Weapon", ALA Tanto did for RoboWars 7 Laughing

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:39 am 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Well at least Nick isn't building Uber death spinner lightweight straight up.

Brett's idea sounds good. Not sure how it would go being implemented but there's some potential to it.

What I meant before was that if a 5 second KO was what the sport was about then all the crazy radio jamming, tesla coil weapons would be allowed. But they are boring and quick... Hence my point about one hit spinners. Not the direction I'd want to favour the sport. They will do fine by themselves without bias.

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:21 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

What? A dual Mag motor powered FBS with a 12Kg shell isn't "Uber" enough for ya? Laughing Its a longer term project with Jason and Angus; blame Angus for getting me interested in it...

The Flamethrower is a bit iffy; I'm having trouble designing a gas system that I feel safe working on and the welding might be an issue too. It might end up being a 4wd wedge.

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:36 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Haha! Laughing
The lightweights are good for now, don't expect sauron for a few events yet, so if you want to try your interesting designs, get them done for the next lightweight comp, however I can't garantee it will be spinner free. Cool
Personaly, I believe that fights can be made more interesting with an active arena, pits that drop down 2min in, hammers etc. Gives wedge bots more power and adds to the interest. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:40 am 
leo-rcc

Funny how the same thing is popping up in 3 different fora at pretty much the same time. Smile

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:44 pm 
cerberus3112

fora??

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:21 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

forum...
And it does pop up often, people just can't be happy with static can they? Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:29 am