www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Exhibition Class
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Embarassed Ah well, at least in the final of Battelshed Rob and Matt were really trying.

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:26 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

MDF bots with spinners
thats where its at for something like this.
crap *everywhere* in a match
look at the old Plan-B Vs el-Bravo matches
that was the shiz.

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Ooh yes...
Ya know, battlebots were considering a SHW walker only class at one stage. Imagine a walker only feather class... entertaining even if they both kill themselves before touching each other! Twisted Evil
Seriously... I think people should consider the idea of a '3D' (terrain) arena... it rules out boring wedges and high energy spinners, and makes for a whole class of new and different robots. Think Ultibots but in a smaller controled environment? Very Happy
EDIT: @ Gary
Hah! I remember that final and how you cringed after every big hit! Laughing
Double Edit: The american guys with SMB and sewersnake have already done this sort of thing, at "a party sponsored by Sony during the Game Developers Conference March 22, 2006." They had the rfl arena hired out and pitted them against each other keeping actual damage to a minimum yet still providing an awesome show for the audience.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2oEBtnR6Mgk

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:41 pm 
cerberus3112

gotta love the victory dance at the end Very Happy

Post Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:27 pm 
Daniel Marshall
Experienced Roboteer

lots of good ideas coming out here.
I'm steering towards not having a predetermined winner. Rather a real circuit with real winners, @Daniel K, you may be right about people seeing the false outcome in a fake fight

Brett, The points Idea is a good one, though we may need to put some control in place to prevent love taps just for points. Also I like the idea as you suggested only allowing low energy weapons.

Dyrodium, the 3D terrain could be very interesting. All it would take would be some speed humps or ramps.

Valen, MDF is something we could use here, what if we make it look like metal by painting it, then when it smashes the damage LOOK'S massive.

Bort, two robots would be ideal and I take my hat off to those of you who have two or more active bots at once. What was the system if any in the UK Robot Wars you mentioned, and did it work at all.

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:05 am 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Ahh sorry about that. Even though i can touch type now, my brain is still too fast for the fingers. There was no UK comp like that. I meant that they allowed crap robots into the series, at the expense of better robots, so that the good robots would have something to chew on.

What I was suggesting was;
You allow people to have 2 robots. Generally one will be a loser/sacrificial and require lots of repair (goat). The other will be their showcase/crowd pleaser (T-rex). As for the logistics of running two robots, since one will be less important then im sure people could russle up older radios, servos, relays, drill cells etc.

So when it comes to the fights, you match up one person's crowd pleaser versus the other person's sacrificial. That way you don't feel bad about losing your robot cause you know it will your other robots turn soon, when it fights someone else's sacrificial robot.

This was just an idea if you were going to run with intended winners. The only external forces on the outcome of the match is the initial matchup pairing. But by choosing opponents where one will thrill the crowd with its domination will be more entertaining than watching a flame thrower bot fight a robot that is a steel shell. Imagine if it could fight a wooden shell or with carpet attached. The crowd just want to see carnage, if we can control the carnage it can work out less expensive to the builders than if it was just your typical 1 on 1 fight.

One problem with assigning points etc, is that it focuses too much on who wins. We are all competitive enough in the real combat. If it were to be about entertainment then let it be about entertainment. You worry about the motivation and appeal to the builders without money or other reward? There are sufficient numbers of builders who will do it for the sheer enjoyment and challenge.

my 2 cents

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:45 am 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Very Happy All sounds like great fun to me ,an easy way to determine the fight outcomes is "Toss a coin". that is world wide universally excepted method
and any true man of honour excepts the result. Wink

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:27 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Just my rough thinking

Exibition class:
MDF armour only, any thickness. Must be painted.
All robots must have an active weapon, perferably at least visually 20% of the robot.
Spinners limited to comercially avaliable products, saws, drills, hole saws, ect... Possible exception being flail/swing hammer spinners, just limit flail weight.
I don't see the point in limiting flippers.
50% of judges scores from visual styling (well visually before the fight).

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:37 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i think the wood style robots are where its at for crowd pleasing. maybe a bit of metal for the weapon itself - just none for the supports Cool

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Maybe allow a metal core to store the batteries, radio and speed controllers in. So the whole robot can be totally written off, then you just unbolt the core from the remains and transplant it into another bot.

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:12 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

That was what was covered in the mdf rules wrt metal boxes and the like.
I'd say possibly no flippers, its too easy to smash the MDF too quickly with that.
big spinners are all good, you cant make it too powerful or your bot will explode (because most of the frame is MDF too) and mdf chunks get ripped off really easily. It looks spectacular, fountains of crap spraying everywhere.
We have an MDF plan-B that is in need of a radio,esc and batterys and it should be up and running.

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i dont see the harm in flippers. after all if you stick an 80mm bore ram your bot will snap in half anyway Razz

woodzilla just needs a controller set and its done. wooth perhaps we should migrate to the mdf discussion thread

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Very Happy Has a weight limit been considered???

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:00 pm 
Daniel Marshall
Experienced Roboteer

hmmm, to predetermin or not to predetermin.
We should try both. what if we have a few goat vs t-rex fights, god knows the goat may even win.Then a few selected robots to fight a real non determined fight.
after the first event we would soon get an idea of the best system to use.
As long as we have structure to the event and hold the fights we have all agreed on prior to the day, we could try most of what is being sugested.

Daniel K, visual styling should be a major part of this cuircuit, dunno about 50%, but a good call non the less.

Glen, youre right about the flippers, the bigger the better. If the other bot is built as well inside, the damage would be the same weather you get fliped 1 foot or 10.

TDT, if we go with the goat/Trex idea, then metal core if definatly the way to go.

Bort, I had a think about the idea of two bots, and it might be easyier than I thought. Do you think both bots in the arena should be from the same builder, or one from another team.
Youre right, I do worry about the motivation to build here, you make a good point about letting it be about entertainment if thats the intention, I guess we will have to wait and see just how much we all want to make this eather fun, fight or both.

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:26 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Your sort of missing something about the MDF bots, MDF is fairly brittle, it will snap pretty easily. You can tear chunks off and it will hold up well, but kick it once and you will snap the sheet. Its all over real quick and not all that spectacular.

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:28 pm