www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Rapture - Team Dyrodium - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

Some custom drives there too? Interesting Cool

For the weapon, make up a right angle box with grinder gears . Will also help you bring that godly 15000rpm motor speed down to something useful without having to have a massive belt drive (Smaller pulley on the disc means less of a target for Scissorhands to hit Wink )

Otherwise, looks nice Cool

Post Tue May 27, 2008 1:00 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Yep custom drives. Looking at those makita gears, and taking ideas from the discontinued whyachi T boxes. It would run 18v motors and be very compact and *hopefully* reliable compared to standard drill gearboxes. If all works out I have a source for the milling also. Wink
(stole the photo from madoverlord, because the whyachi ones are crap and tiny).

EDIT: Oh, and been considering the angle gears, I have a nice set that could be used. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue May 27, 2008 4:01 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I like where the design is going, but making a custom Tbox gearbox is realy not trivial - getting all the gear positions just right is one thing, then the housing will need CNC. Terry at Whyachi told me that one of the main reasons they dropped the Tbox and TWA40 gearboxes was the trouble and expense of getting the gears - if he had trouble, how would the rest of us go? Having said that, it would be very cool if you pulled it off; feel free to borrow one of my similar NPC gearboxes to study.

For the time & money, I'd think about the trusty Dewalt setup; even Glen can't break them! Laughing When you think about it, his drive setup has probably seen more battles without major replacements than any other bot in Australia. I also have simpler custom gearbox idea you might like - will PM shortly.

Post Wed May 28, 2008 12:44 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Plenty of gears at SDP-SI. They also provide enough information on the gears to design your own stuff fairly easily, including CAD files for parts. Quantity doesn't seem to be a problem with them either Smile

Post Wed May 28, 2008 2:51 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

the price at spi is horrific, almost $60 a gear Shocked

Post Wed May 28, 2008 3:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I have the catalogue for TEA, i'll see what they have and shoot them an email... don't mind spending a bit for something that will last, but if its more expensive than spi than screw it! Shocked

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Wed May 28, 2008 3:19 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
the price at spi is horrific, almost $60 a gear Shocked

Don't know what gears your looking at, but I know the 10T and 40T Module 0.8 are only around $6 and $7.56 each... I just ordered a pair of 18T Module 1 gears for $9.55 each. Pretty damn cheap to me considering the costs of smallparts.com.au....

Post Wed May 28, 2008 6:27 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The gears in the Whyachi boxes are much bigger than .8 mod and the problem is also that they have to have a really small face width compared to usual, so you need to mill or lathe a regular gear almost in half. If you don't use thin gears, the GB will be extreme deep and heavy. After that, the small gears are quite hard to fasten to the shafts - keys are too deep, pins are not strong enough, so the method I have seen is to use a hexagonal axle and broach the gears with a hex shape. The broach is megadollars from McMaster.

If you use a fine pitch / mod gear set you risk snapping the teeth, which is just what NPC did with those gearboxes I bought; enen when they were hardened, they wore down fast.

All the steel gears from TEA and probably from SDP-SI are annealed, so you will need to send them out for hardening after they are machined; more expense and difficulty.

Post Wed May 28, 2008 10:50 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

For drill motors, I think a set of 0.8mods should survive, They have a face width of 5-6mm pending on the gear. You right about the the possibility of damaging the teeth, but if you select the gears correctly, ensuring you get plenty of tooth mesh, they should be fine. Stepping up to Mod 1 gears should easily handle it.

SDPSI gears come in various materials, poly, brass, alloy, carbon steel, stainless, so take your pick. price varies accordingly.

Post Wed May 28, 2008 10:57 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

With a total halt in any robot building, and deciding a new disk spinner wasn't going to be good enough, I just commissioned this monstrosity.
Don't ask me why... but I suppose if you can't beat em...
I like to think of it as the unwanted baby of TO Relic and Scisorhands, but with invertability. Laughing

I'm sure the code name TFR needs no explanation. Rolling Eyes

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:44 pm 
RAnts

What sort of monster brushless would it take to swing such a large mass of that size up to speed? I am myself looking for a large brushless for a large/heavy mass 30lb'er.

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:27 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4571&Product_Name=TowerPro5330-9T_679g/235kv/80A_Brushless_Motor

or i prefer

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5158&Product_Name=KB45-17XL_700kv_Brushless_Inrunner

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:32 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Or one of these

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5142&Product_Name=HXT_80-100-B_130Kv_Brushless_Outrunner_(eq:_70-55)

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:47 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That bar will need some serious torque to spin up - Look at getting a higher KV motor and doing some serious gear reduction. I would start at 4:1 but leave room for more.

What was the frame going to be made of? If you find a longer can motor you like, I have some photos from RG08 that will be very handy...

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:19 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Torque monster for sure, and the high KV brushless' glen use are looking to be the ticket. A very high reduction is definately needed ! To keep the motor and esc from damage, Jake and I were talking about a very innovative magnetic coupling mechanism, the motor shaft would never get any shock, or actualy come in contact with the weapon pulley Cool
Very interested in your photos Nick, and would you believe me if I said it's a bisalloy 400 frame ? Laughing $160... can't complain. Wink

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:38 pm