www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Binky-Crude Robotics-VIC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Damien (not Damian)

Binky-Crude Robotics-VIC

Since Sting doesn't work too well, I've took him apart and started a new robot. It's going to be a two-wheeled undercutter driven by a fan motor (yet to decide belt or deirect-drive). It uses the same drive motors and the armour is corrugated stainless steel.
Since we've got a new excersise bike I've took apart the old one and got the steel pipes for the frame, although I'm not sure how well bolts will hold rounded pipes. I've also gotten a new way of connecting pipes that would've saved quite some weight and kicked myself for not thinking of it before.
Pictures coming soon.

Last edited by Damien (not Damian) on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:33 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

belt drive. Direct drive will kill your motor pretty much instantly

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Just to let you know, anything with a weapon will need another whole radio system, the one I gave you is only 2CH. Confused
Laughing Them batteries might not like the extra current either!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:42 am 
Damien (not Damian)

Finally, some updates!
First of all, the name 'Binky' is being considered Razz
I've also put up ONE section of amour onto the baseplate, been a bit too lazy to put up the others.
I'm also considering using a friction drive setup that may or may not be similar to F-Bomb (Motor pointing outwards with wheel on it and horizontal saw/disc against it just in case F-Bomb's is different)
I also recently found a pretty stiff bit of galvanised or some sort of galvanized metal on the way to school that's about 1mm thick but pretty stiff, may or may not be used to put some teeth on for a spinner. I'm also getting into a fit on how to fix one of the wires on my battery, since I just soldered it back on...then it fell off again Evil or Very Mad

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:08 pm 
Damien (not Damian)

Changed from pipes to brackets and all the little bits of amour are up (still need to put the back bit on. The batterie has been resoldered (YES!!!!) and I'm considering a galvanised or steel mending plate instead of the saw and teeth bolted on, less chance of bolts scraping the ground.
On another note, the name Binky has been confirmed.

Post Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:40 am 
Damien (not Damian)

Got some pics!!!
http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e192/CrudeRobotics/
There's also a test video of Sting I recently found.

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:10 pm 
Damien (not Damian)

Weapon motor pretty much STUFFED Evil or Very Mad- the shafts gone all wonky and has some nasty gashes in it...
On the plus side, top and back are on.
EDIT: Fixed the wonky thing by positioning the chuck differently

Post Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:47 pm 
Damien (not Damian)

Speed controller, Spektrum, Battleswitch and most importantly of all, stickers, are being shipped. I've also got the weapon mount going (no pictures of that yet)
[img]http://picasaweb.google.com.au/RobotChickenwrap327/RobotStuffs02?authkey=4phMw3bbpVE#5252053259682925378[/img]
Figuring out weapon mount with my favourite technique- stacking random scrap from around the place until it's the right height to work with Razz
[img]http://picasaweb.google.com.au/RobotChickenwrap327/RobotStuffs02?authkey=4phMw3bbpVE#5252053207119128242[/img]
Yeah, who says you need a clean work area?
[img]http://picasaweb.google.com.au/RobotChickenwrap327/RobotStuffs02?authkey=4phMw3bbpVE#5252053316647721890[/img]
Weapon! Will get a mending plate bar soon.
[img]http://picasaweb.google.com.au/RobotChickenwrap327/RobotStuffs02?authkey=4phMw3bbpVE#5252053075936241026[/img]
And for some reason, a drop of tea on my school diary shaped like Australia...vaugely.[/img]
EDIT: Okay, looks like Picasa image codes don't work...just copy and paste the links for now then Evil or Very Mad

Post Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:36 pm 
Damien (not Damian)

Speed controller works now!!! Yipee! I'll have a test video as soon as I get a zippy box.

Post Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:30 pm 
Damien (not Damian)

Old body scrapped (not literally...yet), now working on a CAD (cardboard aided design) for some people in Vietnam to make (for money, of course). I would've had it by tomorrow, but the design was estimated at 15kgs Shocked with the thinnest metal. It was also by far the ugliest robot I have ever seen, so it was scrapped as well. The new one will be like the old one except taller (using a hoop for self-righting now since the weapon motor is too big) and with an extension built-on for the weapon.
On another note, I HATE MOTORBIKE EXAUHSTS!! SO BLOODY HOT!!! Evil or Very Mad

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:25 pm 
Damien (not Damian)

New chassis is being made by a workshop right now (for 630,000 dong, about $60 take-or-give). Everything is 3mm steel which is ungodly heavy, so I had to make some sacrifices. The triangular supports for the weapon section of the robot originally covered the entire length of the weapon extension and the width of its half of the robot, had to be shortened, the top is made of very thin, weak metal and the hose clamp mounts for all the motors had been made into holes to take off a little more weight.
I was going to get them to make a 6-tooth disk design out of 5mm steel but they said it was too hard for them, so the weapon will be a saw/bar. No hoop right now (won't fit in luggage) , but once I get to Melbourne I may make a large spike poking out the top for self-righting, but I'm not sure about that yet. The sides were also originally angled but the workshop people said it was a bit of a hassle for them to make, but they might try to make it as angled as they can. The new design is estimated at 8kgs.
Edit: Also getting a new fan motor, since the old one's shaft broke off. I was going to get a motorbike starter motor (plenty of motorbikes in Viet), but couldn't really be bothered modifying it. Unfortunately, there aren't much cars here so I can't get a fan motor on the cheap Crying or Very sad. AND I need to think of a new idea for a drive shaft other than two drill chucks screwed together, or at least replace them with the shorter and probably stronger metal ones I found at the Sunday market...*sigh*

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:15 pm 
seanet1310

nice idea getting the frame done there way cheaper then it would be here.
Sounds good. the steel should pay off in the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Damien (not Damian)

Went to check on progress today. turns out it's not quite 3mm, it's actually 2.5mm, but still pretty heavy. The cut out the base except for the diagonals and wheel slots. As it turns out, they used high-carbon steel, too, so I can't get it wet Razz
Does Australia have any of these services? If so, how much would they cost for say, a plain metal box the size and material of King Cobra?

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:45 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Welding and cutting is a bit high tech for us outback Ohstrayliens..
we just bend it back and forward until it snaps, then use fencing wire to tie it all together again.. Wink

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

plasma cut 6mm bisaloy 500 (grade below armour plate) would probably be around the $120 mark, might get it a bit cheaper.

Blow $100 on a welder and do the assembly your self, your going to need it for repairs anyway.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number