www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Demon Robots - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 112, 113, 114, 115  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Y'all just have to wait ;p

Managed to get heaps done on the Beetleweight.

Got the base drilled for the drives which are now complete, just have to grab the appropriate bolts to mount it. They spin nicely too. Super happy! Chopped a bit of weight from the weapon motor pulley to try offset some of the weight gain on the drives. So much rotary table Smile

Also potted the magnets in on the crappy NTM motor with some $2 epoxy and microballoons. I'll see how that fares. In the rebuild i'll use a scorpion motor most likely..

Now to wire him back up and buy a new battery, hopefully making him complete again.

Hoping to have decmiator running tommorow night with the original weapon for some testing. Pending how plastered i get tonight Laughing

Post Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

All done Smile

Had a few mishaps along the way, mostly due to me just being in a shitty mood at work this week lol. Nearly wrecked both the motor mounts while attempting to thin them down a bit and almost blew up the ESCs when i had one lead from each to seperate motors Embarassed

Then after all that dicking about found that the wheels are much smaller in diameter than what they should be, so i had to pack up the gearboxes by 2mm, meaning the entire thing had to come apart to mill the side panels for more clearance. UuuUghhh..

Also had to revert back to the standard 1000rpm gearboxes + motors as the half length ones i got to test from Aaron turned out to be complete trash. They have all plastic gears and are so gutless they couldn't even move the robot. Seems to have 1/2 the gear ratio of the normal styled ones so i put them in, and even with 2x the reduction it could only just move in a straight line Laughing

So he might be a bit overweight as a result. But eh. What evs Razz

Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cpnwolfe

sexy!

Post Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:45 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
Also had to revert back to the standard 1000rpm gearboxes + motors as the half length ones i got to test from Aaron turned out to be complete trash. They have all plastic gears and are so gutless they couldn't even move the robot.

That's rage inducing, because I SPECIFICALLY stated repeatedly in the emails that I wanted metal gears in those gearboxes.... Evil or Very Mad Shame the motors are crap too, but that was half expected considering they are half the size.

Thanks for testing, feel free to bolt those motor onto Killer as armor Razz

Post Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:20 am 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Mmm, with yours possibly overweight and mine well underweight, it occurs to me that we really should actually try to play in the same weight class haha

Maybe I'll mill it out of billet Ti next time... anyone got any spare to donate? haha

Post Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:51 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

What's the gear ratio of the ebay 1000rpm motors?

Post Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:42 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Nah its cool, thanks for giving them to me to try out Razz I'll calculate the ratio tomorrow but its not that high. Maybe 5 or 6 to 1?

Was only 20g over in the end Razz But rebuild imminent! Or I'll just build something else next time cause i be a bit over this robot now.

Uhm yeah! Robot went okay. The NTM brushless didn't throw a magnet despite the drives doing so, Calling that problem solved Smile Need to hunt down some new rebuildable drive motors so i can glue them in. Possibly some little 1/18th scale rc car motors. The gearbox bearing supports seemingly work great. Didn't lose a bushing or shaft despite some heavy slams into the wall.

Looking into a co2 beetle. A direct clone of this would be simple but that valve is the same as the one in hunchback and it's heavy as. Maybe a high pressure pin valve being depressed by a smaller solenoid in the ram will work.. idk. I'll have to muse on that idea Razz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG9A69Y0Uxo

[/img]

Post Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:06 pm 
RogueTwoRobots

quote:
Or I'll just build something else next time cause i be a bit over this robot now.

If you're over it, bring it to the UK in April and I'll take it off your hands Wink

With great power, comes great reliability

Post Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:09 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Plot twist - hub motor!

Having a bit of a blah month lately. Passport, flights and hotel for this UK trip are all sorted, but the suppliers for the bits decimator needs are just screwing up and dragging their feet left right and center. So annoyed! needed to make something random to get my mind off it...

It's nothing tricky but it is sort of heh. The actual construction is simple and only took 1 night to put together. but tweaking it so it would run reliably without shorting a phase while making it easy to assemble was a major pain in the butt. Seems to be sorted now anyway.

The motor is all machined out of magnesium, with a massively modified NTM motor in there. same as what it was running before with a slightly different wind for lower KV. Has an 8mm bearing on top (which is the max size the stator can be bored out to) and a 1/2 inch bearing underneath.

I'll run through the build on the 2nd battle ready motor when i put that together. The speed is up 1000rpm to 5900 measured and it draws even less current than it used to. Pretty nice.

Got all the parts to finish my axial flux motor now. That along with this motor should give me enough practice to attempt one for Decimator for the nats, providing it makes it back from the UK in one piece!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRCLTCUqco4&feature=youtu.be

Post Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:41 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Very sexy! What grade magnesium did you use? the only stuff I ever found was soft as butter Sad

Post Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:02 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

I have no idea, It's from sacrificial anodes so probably just pure magnesium (you can see the steel wire in the middle in the first pic lol). I use it cause it machines super easy for prototypes. Defo wouldn't use it for anything other then test items though.

Have to drop into thyssen krupp this week so might see if they stock any useful grades of it.

Post Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:10 am 
Tim

That weapon hub looks Genius

quote:
massively modified NTM motor in there

like the idea Very Happy

Post Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:24 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Back to normality after the big UK event. Time to prep for the NSW event, super keen for it!

Going to build a new flipper this time.

First job is to mod the old ram. It works well and the limit was the flipper arm design so might as well continue using it. The only issue with it is that the whole lot weighs 3kg, Way too much.

The dimensions are 50mm bore and 75mm stroke. The stroke is fairly unnecessary so 10-15mm are going to get chopped off of that, i have some 10mm titanium rod to look at replacing the tie rods depending on how hard that is to thread.

Main weight reduction will come from the gigantic base. Will take to it with the milling machine as well chopping down the 5mm steel cylinder to 2/2.5mm and all round that should save over 1kg.

As for the gas system, going to a 12oz bottle from a 20oz one as that is totally unnecessary having worked out how to pulse the gas into the ram. Also going from a 12oz buffer to two 4oz ones threaded directly into the ram body itself. That should double the flow rate from the two inputs - the main limiting factor before. Should be very compact too Smile

There's enough bits leftover to build a 2nd pneumatic robot.. but what! A foward facing flipper maybe? Pneumatic crusher perhaps if i can work out how to do it with a minimum of valve work.

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:36 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Sound awesome …just build two identical robots like the beauty2 /beauty 8 combo…and clobber all. Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:56 am 
Eventorizon-GB

Yeah, do that... Conker can beat the Beauty's

Post Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:28 am