Hi
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
Fish_in_a_Barrel

lol *10char

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:29 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

I re-watched the link in the sticky topic... OMG still makes me laugh. The kids will laugh at you! Smile

Anyway my advice would be to hook up with someone who knows something. I tend to have a limitation on what I can learn from reading. In the end I tend to learn visually and find it best when something is right in front of me. Someone could give me tips on welding, but what it actually took for me to believe i could work a bloody stick welder was someone who knew how to showing me.

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:50 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

[...]This message was written with some people in mind

“Hold stick near center of its length.
Moisten pointed end in mouth.
Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum.
Use gentle in-out motion.”

I wonder how many will get that one Wink
- Sometimes Irony is better than fire

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cerberus3112

then rinse mouth and spit out
don't forget to use some thick paste on bristles to improve the results Rolling Eyes

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:29 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

bzzzt. try again Smile

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Fish_in_a_Barrel

heh, yes instructions for something so small and simple just prove how far society has come to avoiding natural selection.

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:57 pm 
cerberus3112

"More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitchhiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitchhiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with."

Its true towels are awesome

Post Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:19 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
[...]This message was written with some people in mind

“Hold stick near center of its length.
Moisten pointed end in mouth.
Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum.
Use gentle in-out motion.”

I wonder how many will get that one Wink
- Sometimes Irony is better than fire
"It seemed to me," said Wonko the Sane, "that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane." Beyer

Post Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:47 am 
RogueTwoRobots

Hello Smile

I've posted a few comments in some of the build threads but figured I should properly introduce myself seeing as there is this nice thread here for it Smile

My name is Jamie McHarg, I'm a combat roboteer (and general student bum) from Irvine in Scotland. I'm on the FRA forum and I've seen some of you post on there so I thought I'd make the journey in the other direction. I like the look of Australian feathers and find it interesting just to note little differences between ours and your ones, such as construction techniques, components used, bodge jobs undertaken etc

Our team (myself and my friend from school) is called Team Terminal Damage and we started off competing in Rex's Robot Challenge in 2004 with our technologically advanced 2WD wedge robot made out of 1/4" ply and offive shelving Cool
Fast forward to now and our main robot is Drumroll, sporting a 3.2kg spinning drum powered - as replacement for umpteen burnt out HTIs - by two Speed 900 motors on 19.2V (once I buy them)

Pictures of the building of our robots and events we've been to can be found on my photobucket page if anyone's interested:
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c367/ayrshirerobotics/

The last event we attended was the UK featherweight championships in May 2008; here's a few videos of that competition if anyone wants to see what UK FW combat is like in comparison:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6zncDDfi3l4
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OJcIO36x8yY
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=29O1WgNR7o4
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EyzRSj2vxgU
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XeQ_MQ129vM

Hope to enjoy my time here; you all seem like a cool bunch of people Smile
Jamie

www.ayrshirerobotics.vze.com

Post Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:39 am 
seanet1310

Welcome to the forum.
I like the look of your ealy drumroll build photos its similar to one of my drumbot cads so when i get time ill look though more of the photos

Post Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:54 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Ah, Jamie finally stands up and announces his arrival Razz

Welcome a board !

Post Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:25 am 
RogueTwoRobots

Thanks guys - yeah up until now I've just been lurking around the threads keeping quiet Smile

The early Drumroll pics remind me just how much its changed. I went for friction drive at first after seeing the likes of Reboot and Minimower on here and seeing how succesful it can be, plus as my first spinner I wanted something that wasn't overpowered (although I think powering it with a 9.6V cheapy drill motor may have been taking the biscuit a bit much!) and wouldn't be able to be supported by what would probably have been an understrength chassis construction. But then the greedy roboteer in me kicked in and I soon wanted more speed and more power for my drum Smile

Now I just need to fine tune it all and see if it can actually win something

Post Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:01 pm