www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Prowler - Hellfire Labs - Qld
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Hey, I'm not bagging your bot, I just don't want to spoil an elegant design a lot of brute force. As I see it, A horizontal spinner will be hitting either the jaws, or a wheel, or the exposed back of the actuator - most of the steel parts are protected by the soft chewy bits. A vertical spinner could potentially do even more damage.

Comparing the exposed wheels to my bots is not valid: a) my wheels are small and only partly exposed and b) a vertical spinner has what I call a wide perimeter weapon that naturally protects the wheels. As I recall, neither Jolt or Scissorhands has ever had a terminal wheelectomy, just minor hits. I only need to turn towards an attacker about 45 degrees to protect the wheels and start my own attack. Vertical spinners have to work a bit harder as they have a more focused weapon - they might have to turn into an opponent by 90 deg. or more.

By comparison, your crusher needs to turn at least as much as a a vertical spinner and the weapon action is far from instant. Most spinners will be hitting your bot around 80 times per second - you need to stop the blade and start crushing or at least clamping in 0.0125 seconds, which that actuator is just not capable of.

My suggestion is to up-size the design to the no-spinner lightweight class, where it would be a real threat.

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:21 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Considering the robot is made out of scrap and junk parts that have been lying around for years it is amazing how scared some people are of it getting damaged.
Both Nick and Daniel are having the same problems with their thought processes: You over think an attack. Remember that the opponent is moving and trying to hit you at the same time. Talking about targeting specific parts and actually doing it in the arena are two entirely different things.
From my memory only 1 Australian robots have successfully and deliberately attacked the wheels of another robot and that was IG. It should also be remembered that IG was hitting internal wheels as well as external. Not counting wheels coming off due to threads loosening the only wheel I remember being removed by a direct attack was done by Basilisk to an already immobilized robot. Some people are still sore about that one while others seem to remember it with pride. Maybe that explains some of the harsh posts here.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

and plan b smashed the wheel off IG2 as well Very Happy and then on that rusty wedge at the same event. that was kewl.

can i have the actuator if it gets smashed XD

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I thought Plan B bent the armour causing the wheel to lock up. I'll need to check the video again.

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

either that or it tore the wheel tread off and it got wedged in the wheel well. not too sure anyway was almost 3 years ago now Surprised

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I hardly think 'scared' is a good term, I just don't want any recriminations when chewy bits meet blade - its inevitable after a few rounds. I am not over thinking an attack with a spinner at all; its attacking the moment something moves inside the sweep of the blade. Draw the smallest possible circle around your bot and the bits that touch the circle are going to get hit first, no matter what either competitor does. If the outside parts are a weapon or armour, that's good, if its wheels, that's terminal.

In a match against another spinner, I try to think mostly defensive, in a match against anything else, I just think 'keep weapon pointed at other bot, advance, repeat' - that is definitely not over thinking it! In fact your point is my point also - the other bot isn't sitting still and just taking it. In the case of a spinner, its giving you a demo of Newton's third law about 80 times per second. Bots with wedges or armour can deflect the rule, other bots just get ruled. Laughing

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:05 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Unless you have switched to a flail i don't think it is physicaly possible to hit 80 times per second. Once is is the average.

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:56 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Didn't I say 'trying' to hit? In my case, its 2,400 rpm x 2 /60 = 80 hits per second. If the first hit throws the bots apart, I am happy to wast the following potential hits Smile. Other spinner weapons go faster, so you have to get your crusher working really quickly before their weapon can connect.

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:45 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I think I understand the point of your argument, it is just that your wording makes no sense to me. What you are saying is that your spinner does its damage instantly upon contact while the crusher takes time. But "80 hits per second" is not possible if you lose a majority of the weapons energy during the first hit.
Maybe you should have stuck with the "no more than 0.0125s when inside the weapons reach" and stop trying to dazzle with bullshit.

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:31 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Whatever!

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:18 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Why do my build threads always go it in this sort of direction? Crying or Very sad
Several pages complaining about Sidewinder's armour, Avenger's exposed wheels or self flipping, Fury's inclined disc and exposed weapon motor. Now what? Weapon is too slow and exposed wheels again?

Lucky I ignor these comments and build my pretty robots anyway.

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:40 am 
cerberus3112

lol true if your willing to use it as you designed it then theres no real probelm Laughing

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:44 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
Lucky I ignor these comments and build my pretty robots anyway.
I was just telling my wife your bot was pretty. She seamed disturbed by this information.

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:49 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

I was telling one of my tutors that the graphs of root loci were pretty, and he said "No, it is not pretty. Pretty is for girls."

Post Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:48 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:46 pm