www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Collo - VIC
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
Collo

Team Collo - VIC

Hi everyone, been reading for a few months, but now we think we need to add our own Build Report for our very first robot. Currently the bot is unnamed because we cant decide on anything.

Stats:
Builder : Chris (me) and Jeremy (lil bro)
Driver : Probably Chris
Class : FeatherWeight
Chassis : 32 x 32mm, black coated slotted steel
Armour : iunno, havent got that far yet
Weapon : Spikes made from excess framing.
Drive : XU1 and Red-Wheels
Controller : Traxxas, Stock remote/reciever (2ch)
Batteries : Either some old RC batts, XU1 stock batts or A123s...or something.

This is our first attempt at a robot, so cheap motor, batts, wheels and design were a must. Basically an invertable ram bot with front wheel drive, and (currently) no armour.
Can anyone tell me how to get images on from my computer, or do I have to make a photobucet account?

Simply for now, the are 2 'cups' of the slotted steel with plywood as a base on one. This holds the motor and electronics, later it will be some better wood or metal to act as armour.

Sorry about not having much information or photos, but ill get them up soon.[/url]

Last edited by Collo on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:27 pm; edited 3 times in total

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:33 pm 
Damien (not Damian)

Go to photos- your personal gallery - upload pic- wait. I'd get a photobucket account since it shows you the progress, and you can upload videos.

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:49 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Hey guys what state are you in?

sounds like a good plan. that slotted angle isnt too strong, but itll get your first robot together and let you learn a bit of everything about electronics and the rest!

keep us posted Very Happy

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Damien (not Damian)

Not sure if 12v dril-powered two-wheel rammer will turn out featherwight, mine was box section, four-wheeled and 3mm alu but still turned out 1kg underweight of hobbyweight's maximum wieght
Confused

Last edited by Damien (not Damian) on Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:02 pm 
seanet1310

Welcome to the forum and gl with your fist bot.
The address location states "West Melbourne" so if you can it might be worth coming to the build meet in Geelong soon (details are in the state specific board) but geelong may not be a very convenient place for you to get to.

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cerberus3112

About the weight don't forget you have to add the batterys and other bits and pieces that will go in it.
Also if you want something to do with the weight add more Armour a 2nd set or wheels more battery's there's still heaps you can do with it. Very Happy

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:24 pm 
Collo

RoboDamien: yeah i think we will get some more motors tomorrow, my sisters taking us to Bunnings for some metal sheets and other bits that we need. So it will hopefully end up being a 4WD invertable.....box.

Cerberus3112/seanet1310: West Melbourne = Altona. Just dont wanna get into trouble from dad with internet privacy and so on, but i think thats ruined now XD. I was reading the thread on the builders meet, but Sundays arent good for me, because i play rep hockey, and trainings are on Sundays til we go to Canberra. They noramlly end at 11, so i could get there bout midday but then i need dad or mum to take me.

soo see how we go tomorrow and next week, but i swear the first ideas i had were forver changing, and now its a completely different design AND STILL CHANGING!!!! Evil or Very Mad

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:37 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by collo:

soo see how we go tomorrow and next week, but i swear the first ideas i had were forver changing, and now its a completely different design AND STILL CHANGING!!!! Evil or Very Mad

haha, that's always the case. I have so many bits of designs going it's not funny Shocked
And a 12v 2WD rammer can be beefed up to the featherweight class, it just needs 3mm box section frame with 6mm steel plates and a car tow ball. Laughing
Having said that, it still only weighed about 8kg..

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:49 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

If your after a good robot to clone for a starting point take a look at flexo,cyborg or cobra flexo and cyborg use drill motors, cobra has dewalts, probably too expensive to start with.
6mm steel is pretty cheap (and if you find some nice dumpsters, cheaper still ;->), A cheap angle grinder and a stick welder and you can cut and glue them together and your going to get a bot that can stand up to pretty much any spinner with style and aplomb.
And its doesn't take much longer than most of the other construction methods.

Plan-G's "drive section" was hacked out of a bit of angle and a small quantity of sheet and welded together in a few hours and it was all done by eye to boot.

Be wary of bunnings metals, they are generally pretty expensive for what you get and seem to be made out of some kind of compressed cardboard painted silver ;->

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Damien (not Damian)

quote:
Originally posted by collo:

At least your's didn't turn into the never-to-be spinner, then axe, then spinner, then drill, then axe, then spinner, then back to rammer Laughing

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:28 pm 
Collo

so anyone know of some good places for cheap metal near altona?

And currently, because our welding friend is away, and im a cheapo so dont wanna buy one, the metal will be drilled and screwed to the frame. i have just realised that for starting, this metal is sweet. Its like a supersized meccano set, but with weapons, and dangerous things Shocked

ill try to get photobucket up tomorrow
Cheers

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:11 pm 
Collo

Ok, we have a friend who works in a metal yard, so we'll see if they can give us some metals.

Photobucket account come have a look at the frame and pre-4WD setup.

Now once Bunnings get some more XU1 and i go somewhere for more wire should be set to start finding metal and completing the bot.

Ill keep updating with progress once it all starts taking coming together.
Thanks for the help.

Post Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:41 pm 
Collo

almost finished the 'draft' for the armour and electronic placements. Just need another XU1. so I went into Bunnings, and they told me XU1s will no longer be sold in there Shocked

Anyone know of a place that still sells them? because after I buy the last one, and cut the 2mm steel for armour its all good to go.

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:53 pm 
Damien (not Damian)

I didn't know they still sold XU1 drills Shocked
At K-Mart there's 12v drills (called Maximate) which are basically the same, although you need to grind the plastic potruding boss on the Red Wheel slightly since the locking screw is shorter. They're pretty much the same price, around $20.
EDIT: Where's this metal yard? The one near me closed down . Evil or Very Mad

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:11 pm 
cerberus3112

What speed controller(the board that the motors and battery plug into) is that attached to the remotes receiver

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:43 pm