www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Collo - VIC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
Collo

Once that chip thingo arrives the bot will be finished!Very Happy The frame was welded on the weekend, and drop tested. Batt packs have been made and connected, and some driving has be done to test it all out. Jeremy and me both think it turned out much better then what we anticipated, and with a borrowed angle grinder, a soldering iron, drill, friend who welds and some hand tools the robot is looking quite impressive. Well to us atleast:P

All the photos and a movie are here.
Thanks again everyone for all the help and tips and hope to be at the next Melbourne event.

Post Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:14 pm 
Collo

How do we plug the bec in Valen? Voltage from the battery input to the IN line, and the GROUND back to the negative output. Then the reciever goes from the OUT back to the GROUND on the chip?

Post Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:52 pm 
Collo

I have plugged in the BEC that you said i should get, and the reciever works without cutting out from our testing on a stand. But when we screw the lid on and drive it around the robot still goes crazy. It will work fine for about 20sec, then go off on its own, we turn the remote off then on and we can drive it again, 20 sec later.....Anyone experienced this before? Checked all the wiring and nothings touching the heatsink on the sabretooth and everythings isolated...

Post Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:29 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

What radio are you running? FM or Spektrum?

Post Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:51 pm 
Collo

The HobbyKing cheapo kit

Post Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:33 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

have you got the BEC on the sabretooth turned off now? you shouldnt need that with an external one or all kinds of wierd stuff will happen

Post Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Collo

To turn the BEC off, because the DIP switchs seem to have nothing to do with it, do i just need to have nothing plugged into the 5V out terminal?

Post Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:32 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

5v In you mean:P And you'll still need that, otherwise the sabretooth won't get power at all... I dunno, read the proper guide because the tiny piece of paper they come with tells you nothing. Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:26 pm 
Collo

okay, i have tried every combination of wires i can possibly think of. 1-3 wires coming out of everywhere and the reciever/sabretooth will still not stay connected for more then 1 second when trying to drive it. I've also recharged the battery and tried the whole thing with only 1 motor connected on each side. The instructions haven't got anything to say about the BEC, theres a little image with an external one they supply, and my setup matches theirs. It feels like interferance, so i had the lid off the BEC far away from the recievers and still had the same problem Evil or Very Mad
Here's a diagram i made in paint to try and help explain the setup.

Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:04 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

pretty sure you should have the black wire on the servo lead to 0v, the red to 5v and the orange wires from each servo lead into S1 and S2 respectively.

have a look on page 12 of the manual. theres two pictures on how it hooks up. doesnt look like you have the 0 and 5v terminals hooked up from your diagram when they need to be

best get sean to check it over though. he knows more about the sabretooth then i

Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:17 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Collo

It WORKS!!! Very Happy i had a 5min look at the picture in the manual, looked at Sean's post again, looked at the pic again, and put in a plug to the recievers batt slot Embarassed .
Thanks again Glen and everyone for the help, now i have to clean up the garage before mum gets angry

Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:27 pm 
Collo

Well theres been progress and a major and minor setback during these holidays.
Good things first: Painted AO a beautiful lime green and bright orange and looking very pretty. Will get pics tomorrow when our camera has batteries. And had our first go at CIG welding, borrowed a welder off a friend, and made a removable rampy/wedgey thing to go at the front if needed in fights.

Bad things: Our power LED isnt working anymore, don't know how or why (checked the bias and wired up to a spare 6v pack), but we only ordered one Embarassed , so gotta spend some more money. And the PC PSU stopped working, so I made sure all the plugs were in, flicked the switch and there was one big bang and a lot of light coming outta the box, so I shat myself and we no longer have a charger.

Post Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:26 pm 
shreddy

how much does it weigh?

The day I stop giving 100%, is the day I stop competing

Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:03 pm 
Collo

After our original test (without ramp) 13.0kg, and we're pretty sure the ramp is not 600g so we should be underweight. Other then that, cant give any precise answer, we'll find out Sat if scales are there.

Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:12 pm 
Collo

Promised Pics:
Basic Setup (Orange turns out red in photos, but its a pretty bright orange)

With Ramp

Post Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:25 pm