www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

MBX - Team Knightrous - QLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

Bit of progress on MBX I haven't posted about lately.

Now runs on a 10cell A123 pack after an epic explosion in the shed damaged 3 cells. Accelerometer is all in and running, need calibrated as it's way off at the moment. Still working on getting the whole setup reliable, but I think I've broken and rebuilt enough of it to get rid of some reliability issues.

With some luck it should be ready to play for the QRSC event in June Smile

Post Wed May 27, 2009 11:52 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by TDT:
Now runs on a 10cell A123 pack after an epic explosion in the shed damaged 3 cells.

Video ? Wink

Post Wed May 27, 2009 1:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

No video, it was one of those "I've just fixed something, let see how it goes" moments. I think my neighbours are just getting use to the loud crashes and profanity that regularly occur Razz

Post Wed May 27, 2009 2:30 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

When we lived in Granville my neighbours knew when somebodys computer blew up at 4:00AM just due to the swearing.

wasn't loud enough to wake them but if they got up to feed their kid apparently they could hear it

Post Thu May 28, 2009 11:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

Another xplosion... Sad
I swear it's trying to kill me Evil or Very Mad
It's this damn accelerometer, when ever it's in the robot, an explosion of some form happens Evil or Very Mad
*rage*

Post Sat May 30, 2009 4:02 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

its held in with duct tape you ball sack. that would fly apart it you put it on a drill powered plank of wood XD

Post Sat May 30, 2009 8:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

It was wrapped up with duct tape tighter then a lebo's kabab Razz The best explosion so far has been the old 4kg test bed with a bunch of zipties holding the winch motor and battery pack on. It launched the motor and wheel out @ 2000+ RPM. I built the 0.1v frame after that Laughing

I've pretty much got it fixed again anyway.

Post Sat May 30, 2009 9:06 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

As part of rebuilding after the explosion, I pulled the winch motor apart to service it a bit. The large amount of abuse has taken it's toll on the motor, and I don't know how much longer it will hold together, pushing it over 3 times it's normal design limit has been a surprise it lasted this long.

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic4

Last edited by Knightrous on Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:55 pm 
shreddy

lol same pic

The day I stop giving 100%, is the day I stop competing

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:34 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

i hope you cleaned that commutator Smile

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:35 pm 
Andrew W

I thought Aaron would know about copying and pasting Laughing. Just change the 1 to 2, 3 and 4 and you see the rest of the pictures.

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:22 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Was trying to see how many people I could con into clicking 4 different links to look at the same photos Razz Copy Pasta now fixed.

Rough calcs estimate the motor to be around 840kv, so it's doing a hell of a lot of speed for a brushed motor Razz

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:52 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Well it's time to move onto the next phase. The current 1 wheel version of MBX is a dead end. I'm getting way too much friction from the base on the ground and using castors/skids/wheels have all proven useless. In MeltyB, the 1 wheel design worked quite well, as the momentum actually picked the base up off the ground, but it doesn't seem to scale that well. I've reached the limit of the winch motor and the batteries in the hunt for more power and more speed. Death By Translation (Kevin Barker and Rich Olso's effort) seems to work in the 30lb weight with 1 wheel, but they are running some expensive Lipol and a Magmotor. Two things I can't afford Razz

I had the accelerometer working to a point at home, where the heading was stable with a small amount of drift, but when I took it to the QRSC garage battle, the concrete had a lot more friction then the smooth stuff in my garage. It seems to have caused all my calibration efforts to go out the window and even my manual code I've used previously failed to work. So with the problems out layed, it's time for the next build.

MBX 0.2B

Going to two wheels like MBX 0.2 (Which probably would have worked if I hadn't rushed and bodged it up so much), but it will be a bit of a hybrid. I'm going to use a Brushless 5330 for one wheel, and a scooter motor on the other, the brushless with it's massive torque and power will be run flat out all the time, providing a good amount of spin. The scooter motor will run as the translation control, it will do the pulsing translation stuff to make it drive. The scooter motor should only have to spin fast enough with a bit of torque to keep up with the brushless.

This covers the problem of reduced duty cycle on motors or the intricate process of trying to pulse brushless motors at super high speeds for a full brushless drive. Both motors will be run on 10cell A123 (33v), which seems to be well in the limit of the motors from when Glen tested the 5330's and scooter motors on 10cell in Visceral. The scooter motor will be geared up 1:2 to match the speeds of the brushless, which will also work well for the braking process of translation with the reverse ratio.

Hope to start on a test bed soon, maybe even have a running version ready for the next QRSC event.

Last edited by Knightrous on Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:43 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

interesting,

best of luck!

i just wondering could you not have used a free-wheeling or castor type second wheel in MBX 0.1? to hold it up and reduce the friction?

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:27 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Tried a small castor previously, it just destroyed it rather quickly. Then bodgied a bearing on quickly for robowars as a last ditch effort and IG ate it Very Happy 0.2 had the second wheel acting as a castor due to missing a second motor and it didn't seem to work any better Sad

Currently working on the designs for a 1:2 gearbox for the scooter motor.

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:53 pm