RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

QRSC Arena - Queensland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by andrew:
A nice sturdy thin steel or mdf or general wooden floor should be fine and acceptable for most robot designs.

I think you forgot the free bit.

The idea is to have a 12mm wooden floor and then for the first day nail down some carpet as a test to see how it goes. If it doesn't work then my brother and I will spend all night pulling it up and removing it for the next day. Our origional plans was to use astro turf or another simalar plastic non-looped carpet, but that stuff costs money.

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:09 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I personally dont like the idea of carpet much - for any undercutter style robots, any sort of loop-pile or even ordinary carpet is likely to catch in the blade tips.

I think fluff and threads winding around drivetrains is pretty likely also.

Lino Tiles sound like a batter option to me.. easy to replace damaged ones too.. If you can find some in the budget

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:07 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

I hope the floor doesn't become carpet, pretty much means Andrew and I can't battle @ Ideas Festival then. Might have to wait for a big all out @ Battleshed Crying or Very sad

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:24 am 
seanet1310

If there is carpet used extra time may have to be given between rounds for carpet related holdups eg thread around the drivetrain. If someone has to forfeit a match due to the carpet clogging up the arena that would be bad.

Even then i still dont like the idea of a fabric based carpet. a plastic may open up a new set of problems and appears to be out of the budget anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:25 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Just phoned Mitre10.

12mm MDF = $36.95 / sheet (2440 x 1220)
16mm MDF = $45.00 / sheet (2440 x 1220)
18mm MDF = $59.50 / sheet (2440 x 1220)

I assume the QRSC arena is going to be 4.8m x 4.8m, so you would need 8 sheets to cover the floor. So..

12mm MDF = $295.60 / 8 sheets
16mm MDF = $360.00 / 8 sheets
18mm MDF = $476.00 / 8 sheets

These are at average joe prices, but at trade price they should be 20-40% cheaper... I'd be happy to contribute $100 of my own money just to ensure we have a wooden floor and all the robots can play happily...

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:47 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Doesn't matter yet. We have to finish welding the wall frames first, then the door frame, weld on the crash panels, drill all the holes for bolting the frames and polycarb, cut and bolt the roof frame work, prepare the roof panels and then we can worry about the floor.
We will need a build day for drilling the holes. My brother and i are not very good at drilling holes for some reason and we'd either need to give the job to someone else or at least get some help. Probably on the 6th of feb as we will still be welding the frames this weekend and that really only requires 2 people but anyone is welcome to turn up and drill some holes anytime on any weekend.

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:41 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Funny that i have been driving remote controlled cars around on carpet for as long as i can remember without problems.
The idea was to have a seamless impact resistant floor so we are thinking of materials 5m x 5m. Since a 5m x 5m sheet of steel or wood is hard to transport we have been discussing materials that can be rolled. Lino is no good as it is much easier to tear than carpet.
Since some people are passionatly against experimenting with new ideas then we will put it on the back burner for now.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I said to you last night we'd just try it in our garage first if we get some before the event. If it doesn't work we'll lay it on the garage floor just like we did at the old place. Makes it good for sleeping.

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:38 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

just an idea i have like 40 sheets of thick mdf i picked up for free from kitchen places they throw out the outer wrapping sheets.

They are like 20mm thick and 2 bye 4 metres roughly.

try places like that.

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:51 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Very brave of you guys to try something new that as far as I know hasn’t been tried anywhere at your first major event.

Ok you have now said you will experiment in your garage first.

So how would you handle a bot caught in damaged carpet? Limited or unlimited free unsticks or count out?

Do you really won’t to sacrifice the flamethrowers, a crowd favorite for a cosmetic fix for the issues associated with the convex surface of the venue?

Good luck even assembling your wall panels.

Even when it came to the Pit situation we experimented at small local events to see what worked for us.

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:36 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Your wanting to bring a flame thrower? Hmmmmm.
Ok, the carpet will be the second event.
As for carpet related unsticks, since it would be an arena fault I would say there would be an unlimited amount of unsticks. High siding or wedged under the door, ect... would be a combination of arena, robot design and bad driving so there'd be one unstick per fight, and robots being stacked get no unsticks. However all questions on match rules and tech inspections should be directed toward the competition referee in the event thread.

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:21 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Yes I have been working towards having Pyrobot sorted for Ideas.

It was for Ideas that I built him. The Battelshed and Junkyard events were part of the development process.

I was thinking of fitting Weasel with a flamethrower to but that depends on the lightweight action.

We might be better of running an extra Feather or 2.

That depends on multiple bot rules and entry fees etc but the attrition factor of a 3-day event without the lightweight action makes it a possibility.

Can always use a flame equipped Weasel at the NSW lightweight Nationals. Twisted Evil

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:46 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Bring which ever robot you want and as many as you want. We don't mind. The more the better. I can easily setup the round robin so that you won't fight your own robots. That's a 2 second job.

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:28 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

all the frame work for the walls has been cut and welded together. Next weekend we will require a build day so we weld the crash panels and drill all the damn holes.

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:25 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Hi guys wont be able to make it this weekend. Have you got any more materials yet? And is there anyone else who can assist in drilling holes.

Steve

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:20 pm