www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

QRSC Arena - Queensland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

why dont you make the roof panels and trusses from the same light box material as the wall panels you could make full length bows out of the box section and some5mm steel rod with an adjutable tensioner to make them all even once they are installed.the bows could either bolted on to the wall panels or be made to clip on with u sections or pins --if you arent sure what i meen by the bows let me know and i can do you a rough drawing the bows could also be made to be dismantled in sections and you could use light chain instead of steel rod using the bows would give you a flat frame to slide panels on top and the rod or chains would beinside the arena and could be used to hang lights and timers etc on to them
cheers
andrew

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:54 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

can you please draw these "bows". I know nothing about roofs.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:15 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

ok ive drawn it up in a word doc but the forum wont allow me to save it in the photo section.How can i send it to you .

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:05 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

oops i saved it in the wrong format and lost it i will do asgain later

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:14 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Assuming that you build the roof frame with metal, will you require assistance? If so, which day would you prefer, Saturday or Sunday?

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:50 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

While the beams will be made of wood this weekend we will be making the steel brakets to hold it all together. So yes we will be doing steel work this weekend.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Will you require the assistance of a non welder? If so, which day would you prefer, Saturday or Sunday?

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:46 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

here is a rough drawing of bow frames http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1490

Post Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:52 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

these frames will be much lighter and stronger than joining sleepers together as the joints in the sleepers will sag

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:28 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

How is the arena going ?

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:45 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Our garage is now full of wood. We have all the brackets to hold the roof on welded and finished. We just need to cut the beams to size and drill bolt holes in them. The main problem is we can't set the roof up in our garage so it'll be guess and check on the day.
We also have all the floor and roof panels. The floor will be 16mm thick MDF and the roof will be 6mm MDF. We are 99% sure that nothing will get through the roof. The roof panels well be screwed into the beams from underneithe. My brother say it'll be quick to do, I think it will be slow, and that was another of our constant twinly arguments.
The only parts we don't have yet are the polycarb, tie straps, door locks and paint. So far the cost is $2000. Guess where the other $3000 is going.
This weekend we'll finish the roof. The following weekend we will be painting everything. And then the final weekend will be mounting polycarb. We've pretty much been building every weekend for the last 5 weeks and it should be 8 weekends all up. When do we get to sleep?

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:02 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

putting the roof pannels up will be pretty quick if you have at least 3 people on the job
2 on ladders (step ladders) to push the board up to the roof then (a really tall guy) to do the screwing.
any less than that and its a pain in the ass.

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

How many beams will you require to support the weight of the MDF?

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:32 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

if the roof is parallel to the floor you can also make up one or two props out of a bit of timber just screw a short 900 mm or so piece on the top of another length so you have a" T "shape then cut it to the height between the floor and the ceiling allowing for the thickness of the sheet then make the bottom of the timber that goes on the floor into" a U" shape on the bottom so it can slide on the floor as you prop it and can be taken back out easily with out the square edges getting in the way
. two people lift the sheet and prop it one starts screwing after a few screws are holding it take out the props and two people lift another sheet and prop it and start screwing repeat and rinse until al sheets are in place then go mad with the screw guns

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:35 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

when are yous going to set up the arena as i am planing on coming down the day before iff needed

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:38 am