www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Hurricane - Team Shred - Vic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Author    Thread
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

electronics have very small amounts of smoke they can emit and still work.
FET's will typically emit that smoke in .01 of a second.
After that the show is over anyway so you might as well enjoy it.

Points for doing it oldschool ;->

Post Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
shreddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZFcOGVhPPQ
^^ got this vid off my phone today
It's the only test vid i have of the turnigy motor before the thing caught on fire.
With the KDA it was spinning around 900-1000rpm, now it has been clocked at over 1600 rpm with the Turnigy motor, which is like triple the hitting power. Not bad for a $30 motor, keeping in mind the kda was $70.
Btw it is really loud and sounds like an ICE robot now because the shell is still imbalanced Razz
I now have all the replacement bits for the robot minus the bundles of wire and connectors i still need to pick up from Jaycar. I've had to sand down every internal mechanical component and wash everything out to get rid of the horrible smell of burnt plastic.
I won't get it up and running soon though because I'm going to focus most of my attention on my VCE.
Cheers, Luke

The day I stop giving 100%, is the day I stop competing

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:27 pm 
shreddy

there's a storm brewing, and hurricanes are predicted...

Post Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:03 pm 
shreddy

ceebs writing alot coz its late so ill just swamp you guys withs pics instead :3

battery rebuild
all of the cells surprisingly held full charge but i still replaced ones that looked damaged

lol gangly wire men, reminds me of some weird ned kelly painting...

power regulators

mid wiring

yes, thats is correct, a sabretooth actually in a box Surprised

the tight wire mess

strengthening ring welded inside shell

just a little bit toasty

accidentally burned a hole right through the shell coz i had to thin it down heaps to work out the kink in the shell i should have hammered back into shape mid-robowars

shoddy turnigy motors...

only a few of the magnets get fully glued apparently...

still a few more little things to do but it finally runs and that is all that matters right now Smile 2 weeks of effort paid off

Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:04 am 
seanet1310

good to see the repairs are going well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:54 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

excellent work! that ESC in a box for its own safety technique is a real breakthrough Smile

Post Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:36 pm 
bytraper

I'm not a big fan of the shell but I think overall, for a kid with few resources you've done an exceptional job with this bot. And I felt really bad when you damaged it a few months back.

When I began to make my spinner (before I got sick), I looked at car rims but I found that a good knock could easily throw the shell out of balance or even puncture it.

Still, your bot has held up against hits from the best in Australia that thats saying something.

keep up the good thread! Every time I read it, it makes me want to go back and revisit my old spinner and actually finish it.

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:14 am 
shreddy

thanks guys, it means alot Smile

well i pulled out hurricane on chrissy to show the cousins and I was hugely surprised to find the shell is almost perfectly balanced, I didn't balance it after the latest work i did on it Shocked
so yeah, this was the first weapon test with the shell at the new speed AND BOY DOES IT HIT HARD!!!
in one of the old vids i have of weapon testing hurricane some of you may remember the old industrial guttering I used (4kg+) that got effortlessly thrown aside, well it hitsit even better now. I unfortunately didnt film it coz i was preoccupied about all my cousins safety.
Lets just say from now on I'm not going to do any more weapon testing in my garage on big, heavy, hard and sharp things. I basically edged hurricane into one end of the peice of steel and it was such a huge hit that it managed to hurl the thing so hard at the back wall of my garage that it bounced off it and 'helicoptered' its way directly at me about a metre in the air. It ended up touching down at my feet (8-10m away) still spinning and I actually had to leap in the air to miss it. Of course I wasnt expecting it and it slammed into my ankle leaving it a little swollen and painful to walk on for the next few days. lesson learned.

I spun it up again to show it to people who missed it the first time but a left-hand thread screw worked its way out sending the wheel into the shell at full speed. It managed to smear the tread allover the chassis, which is lucky this new version has the sabretooth in the box now! It smashed up the box a bit so i just reinforced it with ducttape Razz

So yeah I got that all fixed and went to take it out for a test but what do you know, another problem. One side of the sabretooth is playing up now and I'm waiting on a reply from dimension engineering about getting them to repair/replace it (and yes I even told them about my fried esc in hope of a half price replacement Laughing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=057sInhtvms
note: the motor sound is not from the malfunctioning side, i disconnected that one.

and time for a few piccies:

I had to shim up the thrust washer on one side because my shaft is at a slight angle

some debris smeared all over it

the battery still isn't safe! Razz time for a little sheetmetal armour

some 'tread dust'. straight after it happened this stuff was wafting out of the shell and made me panic because it looked exactly like smoke.

the wheel that caused all the trouble, it's missing a few chunks

before

after

and heres the little lump on my ankle I got. It doesnt look that bad but it was painful to walk on and I had to use an icepack. It even slightly split the skin on top from the blunt force

remember, don't try this at home!

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:38 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

A decent spinner has about the same KE as a high powered rifle bullet, the kind you don't get in Australia. As you can see that energy can go in any direction.
Testing full body spinners isn't something you do "in public" as it were.

I'm glad your lesson was learnt without serious injury, keep it in mind next time your playing, as yet nobody in Aus has suffered a serious injury from doing this stuff, we'd like to keep it that way.

Reporting what happened on the forum is a really good thing by the way and credit to you for doing that, we learn from watching others mistakes.

Its something of a mark of honor for you in some respects, your bot is now lethal, your playing with the big boys. Play responsibly.

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Hey Love all the pics! Hope your ankle gets better! Looking forward to seeing the bot in action!

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:47 am 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

May i suggest a big sheet of polycarbonate you can at least hide yourself behind while testing, Mythbusters style

echo Jake's sentiments. Great job!

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:59 pm 
andrew

this is still one of my favourite robots in Australia

Looks slick lil buddy. Well done

Yeah be careful with them lil buggars, sorta pot calling the kettle black but god damn if luck wasnt on my side i should have lost some fingers a few times by now so yeah. Losing a limbs sorta permanent these days.

Very Happy

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:55 pm 
shreddy

Well said Jake. It's still hard to believe ive made one of the most lethal robots in aus, I still see myself as a newb xD But yes hopefully it serves as an example to others. I still have a small lump on my ankle from it, I think it's permanent :\

Well since my sabretooth 2x25 is in for repairs, and the event is next weekend, i figure I'm not going to get it back in time so it was time for plan b. Using the xxl from my 'top secret' machine as a substitute...

First up was 'hurricane proofing' the spare set of drills.

Then the rest went together nicely Smile

Heres the vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOqBXIe4afU

Even though I havnt activated the increased deadband it seems to be larger than the sabretooth's. Oh well, I'm just hoping it doesnt have cutoff problems like the 2x25 did...

Still a few more small things to do before the event though.

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Awesome work! I hope you guys film that next event, seeing hurricane fight was very impressive. Twisted Evil

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:11 am 
shreddy

yet more pictures for this huge page xD
hurricane is 95% gewd now, just gotta test my new castor and get the self-righter done Smile

finally got the xxl mounted in the box

snapped off the head of one of the motors bolts, notched it with a dremel and screwed it out Razz

2.5mm scrap steel put to good use Razz I was literally going to throw it out last week...

1.7mm stainless to protect the battery, I think it'll be enough...

Post Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:55 pm