www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> The Marketplace

Bisplate/hardox/wearalloy 500 grade

Author    Thread
richo2

Bisplate/hardox/wearalloy 500 grade

All,

Where have people been getting small quantities of wear plate from? Specifically I'm after 500 grade wear plate in the 6mm or 1/4" thickness.

Any suggestions for likely suppliers would be much appreciated. I'm looking for about 500x500 or so to start with.

Thanks!

Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:15 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

bisalloy comes from oxycut for most of us and they plasma cut it to shape.

hardox as far as im aware is exclusively sold through SSAB in gigantic sheets only.

Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Hardox, SSAB branches in Brisbane and Perth only. You can buy offcuts from other places like RPG, but you pay a lot more. I bought 2500 x 1000 x 3.2 for $450 as an offcut, I could have bought a full 6000 x 2500 x 3.2 sheet for $1400 from SSAB as a full sheet.

I prefer the Hardox simply because you can get it in 3.2mm thickness, which is a lot easier to keep in the weight limit over the minimum 6mm you get with Bisalloy.

Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:51 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Keep in mind that for robot weapons and armor you aren't really after wear resistant stuff, its not like a bucket on a digging machine.

stuff done specifically for wear will often have "hard bits" in it that under an abrasive wear situation will wind up sticking through the steel to take the brunt of the wear. Doesn't do as much good when its just getting hit with a single high KE impact.

Your after armour type stuff for that.
As far as offensive use goes, tool steel is probably the best you can get for a tooth.

Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Keep in mind that for robot weapons and armor you aren't really after wear resistant stuff, its not like a bucket on a digging machine.

stuff done specifically for wear will often have "hard bits" in it that under an abrasive wear situation will wind up sticking through the steel to take the brunt of the wear. Doesn't do as much good when its just getting hit with a single high KE impact.

Try telling that to the plow discs Andrew and I used, no spinner has impressioned the stuff, neither Jolt, Rapture, Orbit or Snak Masheen did more then scratch the paint off Smile Theory and maths is all cool, but the rednecks have been onto something for a while, farm steel is tough shit.

Post Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:02 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Wear plate doesn't have "hard bits". We don't put hard bits in any of our wear products and none of the plate we use have hard bits. It would be difficult to punch out coulter or plow discs if the plate is full of tungsten. Not to mention it would be impossible to manufacture the plate by the usual rolling process if it had tungsten imbedded in it. You could only do it by casting the plate with the tungsten in the mix but that would be a huge waste of money because of the price of tungsten and you'd be wasting a lot by casting it into areas where it isn't needed. Wear spots with hard bits in them are added by welding a mixture onto the plate surface. Personally I prefer gluing tungsten tiles onto parts rather then the hard bit mixture.

And if I recall correctly Orbit, Rapture and Snak Masheen used structual grade Bisalloy rather then wear grade which is why the discs bluntened when they hit the harder wear grade on Offsets plow disc.

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:38 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Snak masheen and orbit used bisalloy 80, rapture used bisalloy 400. It proved to be a LOT more wear resistant, the teeth have dulled but are still effective now. The material was the same cost, too.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:09 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

It pays to read and compare the spec sheets - the harder the sheet stars out the better it will wear and the more sensitive it is to heat damage. If the Bis 500 is water jetted, it will probably be far less brittle along the cut line and last longer in the long run.

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:24 pm