[Deleted Spammer]

how did this kent get in Evil or Very Mad

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:25 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

He registered and responded to the challenge email.

Unfortunately, while the anti-spam measures I have in place do a very good job of keeping the 'bots out these days, they cant do anything about humans.

I've considered banning all free web-mail accounts from registering, since the spammers invariably operate from them.. hotmail, yahoo, gmail etc, but there are quite a few russian webmail places I see register as well, and I cant list them all.

So, the only way to stop the humans is to disable newly registered accounts from posting until I have hand reviewed and activated them. Nuisance.. I usually catch them and delete their account before they get a chance to post, but this guy was quick.

If I'm feeling particularly grouchy, I use the opportunity to blow off a little steam at their email address, since I know there is a human and not a bot reading the emails.

Send them an email with the subject "I want to place an order" or something like that, and then exercise my stock of verbose expletives to describe in detail how they have just demontrated that their suspected simian ancestry's presumed unusual sexual preference for other species are clearly exhibited in the resulting offensive behavioural patterns of their web-surfing descendants.

That way by the time they've mustered enough neurons to figure out that they're being insulted, its too late to avoid the emotional impact.. Smile

Or, if I'm feeling lazy, I'll just delete them.

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Damien (not Damian)

Why would you pay for email? You'd have to keep every email you've ever received for...well, ever to fill up a GMail or maybe Hotmail account.. Confused

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:07 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

You wouldnt "pay for email", but if someone is using the email address that comes along with their ISP connection, or has their own domain registered, its a bit more of a nuisance to dump it and get another one after a spam run..

Becuase the free web-mail services are fairly untraceable, they are what the feces-regurgitating spam merchants all use to shield themselves from the torrent of abuse that invariably comes their way after they have annoyed hundreds of thousands of people across the net.

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
seanet1310

considering some forums the spam mesures here are quite good. That guy would have got around most forums. about the only ones that would have stoped him are the needing autentication ones and blocking free email adresses as Brett said.

while blocking free email adresses may work well to stop spamers it will be anoying for many potential users of the forum. Many teenagers dont have anything other then there free email address.

To help keep spam down maybe a new active mod or 2 who's only responcability is to delete spam. whilie it will not stop spammers registering it will keep the forum spam down untill the admin (Brett) can delete the account.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shreddy

yah, like everyone i know has a free email address, including me! Confused

The day I stop giving 100%, is the day I stop competing

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:11 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Its people like you that are the reason we can't use mailing lists :-<

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Damien (not Damian)

quote:
Originally posted by shreddy:
yah, like everyone i know has a free email address, including me! Confused

Ditto Confused

Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:27 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Actually to be 100% fair, this forum is great and that's the only spammer I've seen for years since my account was hacked back in 2006 or somethin. What's in your challange email brett? Just say if you want to join this forum, tell me a little about why. Laughing That should trip them up.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:49 am