www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

New robot in brisbane
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
dclee

New robot in brisbane

Hey, im pretty new to the whole robot fighting scene and have almost completed my first bot. I was just wondering where a good place in brissy would be to test it and if anyone wants to join in and put some scars (not too big plz Very Happy) on my baby.

Thanks! Surprised

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:28 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

First off, welcome to the forums, good to see another QLDer added to the fold.

Next Brissy event is the QRSC event held at private facilities in Nundah. You can check out the thread for it here: http://robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1363

Able to provide some information on your robot, maybe some photos?

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:03 am 
dclee

Im working on the photos, its pretty much just a chassis at the moment but the dimensions are:
25cm high
90cm long
45cm wide
[Edit on the measurements - accidently put a zero after the length lol]

It has an approx 2cm gap underneath but can run both ways up. Wepons are some spikey bits which i have to bolt/weld on/find first and i need some new motors. I had 2 windscreen wiper motors originally as the wheel drives, but they got fried along with the RC reciever...lol, so ill have to replace all of that. Im thinking of going for some bosch 750W 24V motors but as i hear they are quite exxy. Its made mostly of aluminium. Wheels are pneumatic (hopefully they dont blow up). It will probably weigh a bit over the 80kg mark, maybe about 90?

A famous robot that it looks fairly similar too would be tornado from robot wars, if you want to form a picture in your head while i find a camera and upload piccies Smile

Last edited by dclee on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:30 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

You'll certainly have the biggest bot around then. A few of us started heavyweights about 5-6 years ago when this crazy sport first kicked off here, but soon shortly stopped working on them due to the excessive amount of money to build a competative heavyweight, and the $$$$$ involved in building an arena to hold them.

We all build featherweights (13.6kg) these days, with the odd lightweight as well. Featherweights have a much lower cost for both construction and arena (A featherweight arena still costs $5000+). You might be waiting a while before you get any competition to fight again, the closes heavyweight in QLD is Vertex, which has degraded from a partly driving stage with a working weapon to a rusting stage under a house Smile

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:16 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Wait that did say 9m long right.

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:48 pm 
dclee

woops my bad lol, meant 90 and 45 not 900 and 450 Embarassed

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:29 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

I figured as much. Are you going to build a featherweight? Because in the 80 - 90kg range there isnt really anyone else to fight.

Steve

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:53 pm 
dclee

Im not sure yet. Im going to complete the heavyweight one im currently building THEN think about a featherweight one. The big one should be good practice for the mini one (if i build a mini one). I wouldnt mind finding out what flaws the big one has though so i can make a mint mini Very Happy

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:58 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Ah yes well you can complete but so far there have been no real heavyweight fights in Australia so you will prolly be competing against yourself. There is a few half finished heavyweights around but thats about it as far as I know.

Also bigger generally is much more expensive so that might also be something to look at.

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:00 pm 
dclee

Maybe ill build 2 heavyweights... *ponders*

That would be fun/expesive. But totaly worth it. Wouldnt be able to afford a propper stadium but i could make a makeshift ring which would be good enough for my backyard..

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:40 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Maybe ill build 2 heavyweights... *ponders*

Don't we all.

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:07 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Check out the price of speed controllers capable of powering a heavyweight.. Crying or Very sad

Unless you are running low current motors, majorly geared down (which means the robot will crawl at a snails pace), you will be lucky to get change out of $1000 for a decent heavyweight controller.

Then of course you need the huge batteries to deliver the amps, chargers capable of pumping kilowatts of power back into the batteries in something less than 6 hours, a trailer to move it around, a small crane or 4 team mates to lift it and so on.

Not trying to be discouraging, but I'd figure on a $5k minimum budget to build anything that could get out of its own way.

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Come on Brett, didn't we ALL want to build a HW bot when we started out? I know I did - then I spent the same amount on a feather! Laughing

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:01 pm 
dclee

Where there's a will, there's a way! I'm not giving up on it..

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:04 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Sure, I can totally relate - I've been there too.. Smile

But as someone who has also figured "Building a 500 amp speed controller cant be *that* hard that it justifies that price, I'll just make my own", only to discover, yes it it IS that hard

And also seen all of the creative shennanigans people have come up with try and avoid having to purchase all the quality power electronics needed to lump 100Kg of steel about at any reasonable pace, scrounging up old car batteries, 1930s battery chargers, recycled starter motors, and so on, only to give up and put it on the scrap heap, I was just trying to save him some frustration and direct energies in a more achievable direction Smile

*edit* - as long as "will" = large amounts of money left by grandma, I agree. but otherwise no amount of wilful wishing will produce a high power electric drive system out of scrap.

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger