Author    Thread
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

did i mention i totally owned glen at TA on the weekend
3 - nill
each time it was total ownership
on his terms at that
own his ass with 150 stealths in the first game and he cries like a baby
next round no planes so i decimate him in a sea based assault and cos i'm a nice guy i even leave his generators in place while i build a vulcan right next to his base (mmm radar jammer + atlas + 10x advanced construction vehicles)
did i mention i had 15 fusion plants running to power the thing?
followed by a third game when glen almost manages to destroy some base defences, i think he damaged a sentinel... possibly.
so i put an end to that with 100 stealths Vs his commander
then toyed with him cat like for the next 10 minutes as his lone construction vehicle tried vainly to mount something resembeling a defence.

amasing the difference when you dont claim victory by nuking your allies ;->

Post Thu May 12, 2005 7:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hey for someone with 150 stealths you did a pretty lame job detecting the vulcan being built but one adv. construction vehicle right next to your base Smile

i just didnt want to p\/\/ownage you in your own house, tis just not good manners i dare say lmao

Post Thu May 12, 2005 7:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

your right
i didnt notice
the stealths blew it up as they crused past on their way to kicking your ass, i had more important things to do
like gloat

Post Thu May 12, 2005 8:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

got some piccies of the IBC in the sun today
didnt turn out too bad
i'll get some of the damage we took tommorow
on a positive note the armor worked exactly as designed
in a "real" Jolt Vs Plan-B match after winning it would be a roughly 20 minute glassing job to fix (if we bothered ;->)

[IMG] http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=886 [/IMG]

blury sideways shot

[img] http://robowars.org/forum/album_picl.php?pic_id=886 [/img]

note the nifty angle achieved by the 3rd fet

and for those that need the cheat sheet
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=887

btw brett where did you get the little insulators for the back of the FET's and the ones that go under the bolts. that fet from the outside looks ok at least so i'm wondering if the insulation is rated under the fets temp limits fairly signifigantly looking at the boiling effect that seems to have happened.
(note the cheat sheet parts defined as "melty")

now to apply some of those IRF1405's i got the other day
mmmm silicon

at this point i'll also point out that img tags are stupid
learn how to click links people
shift+click in IE to open link in a new window
ctrl+click in pretty much anything else to open it in a new tab

Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:51 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I never could figure out why the IMG tags didnt work for pics in the album. something to do with parameter passing ?ID=476 type stuff I suspect.

Give Jason a call before finishing up repairs on your IBC and ask him if there are other subsequent related failures. sometimes the Fets can take out the HIP chips and/or dump diodes if they're internally fused and thrown motor voltage back down the gates.

Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

My IBC blew two pairs of fets before Jason and I worked out that HIP chip was damaged, which caused the two fets on the same side of the H to short.

EDIT: made a mistake.

Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:10 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

By the way Jake, I just had a closer look at the photo of your smoked IBC that was still open in my browser..

Thats one of the very first batch of IBC's ever made - Vintage !.. It has the seperate CNC machined heatsinks for the H-Bridges (with the mounting holes in them) that I had made by CNCBotParts in the US.. wow. memories.. Wink

In that case, it probably also still has the standard insulator bushes on the Fets under the bolt heads, which later changed to special-order version that doesnt melt until a much higher temperature, so while you are changing burned Fets, you might like to see about fitting some of them, and Jason now puts spring washers under the nuts.

The idea is that if things do get a little warm as the Fets work hard, the bushes dont soften and deform, and even if they do, the spring washer should help keep tension on the Fets and pressed up hard against the heatsink so they dont get hotter as a result of getting hotter if you know what I mean.. Wink

I'd call it Thermal runaway, but its not really, since thats a silicon characteristic that Fets dont exhibit..

Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:40 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

i call it thermal splodification
i'll pull the fets and check the drive from the hips on the scope with a cap in their place or some such.
i got a few spare hips too
are the diodes anything special, they didnt seem to be in the diagram, just a belt and suspenders for the body diode in the fet?
I did get some of the tranzorbs too.

any suggestions on local sources for the insulators and non conductive washers? i presume they go inside the hole in the fet so if something slips a few mm it dosent short.

i may look at some kind of "funkyass" cooling, a water boiler or something.
we have it about 80% worked out such that the fets shouldnt get > 100C baring something fantastic happening.
on a related note, do you see any problems putting double fets on (well off board) with matching resistors and diodes for ringing etc.
IE 2 fets per leg both off board so the trace lengths etc are the same.
the HIP drive output looks quite good enough for it?

Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:39 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

the damage done to plan-B
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=903

its not as bad as it looks
nothing structural
the armor did its job splendidly

Post Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:33 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

> Thermal splodification

Something like that.. Cool Mesoplasma inspired smoke production is imminent if it happens..

> are the diodes anything special, they didnt seem to be in the diagram,

You mean the gate-charge-dump diodes ? If so, then yes, they're a high-speed switching diode to speed up the FET turn-off by bypassing the series gate resistor when sucking current out of the Fet Gates.

> any suggestions on local sources for the insulators and non conductive washers?

The standard ones can be had from anywhere, Dicky's, Jaycar etc.. If you want the high-temperature version, you'll have to ask Jason, I think he got them on a special order.. They arent essential, but might help save the Fets from your Thermal 'Splodification if things get a little toasty at the heatsink..

> i presume they go inside the hole in the fet so if something slips a few mm it dosent short.

Yep, keeps the bolt well insulated from the Fet Tab.

> i may look at some kind of "funkyass" cooling, a water boiler or something.

That would probably be very effective at keeping the fets cool, but sounds like it would be heavy and prone to leakage..

quote:
Do you see any problems putting double fets on (well off board) with matching resistors and diodes for ringing etc. - the HIP drive output looks quite good enough for it?

That should work fine.. The HIP chips have been proven to drive up to 8-Fets in parallel sucessfully.

From what I've read of good motor controller design practices, keeping the track length between the driver and fet to a minimum is desireable to stop self-inductance of the track from affecting the gate drive signal transitions..

I'm not certain how big an effect a few cm of wire will have though.. You would probably need to either scope the drive on a nice fast o'scope, or crunch some numbers to see if the theory tells you anything bad might happen..

There are some good Fet-Drive application notes on I.R.'s website and some relevant stuff here . http://powerelectronics.com/mag/power_rid_miller_effect/

Post Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:43 pm