www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Singularity - Team Nightshade
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Singularity - Team Nightshade

Well, its the parts that are holding me back atm. On thurssay I recieved the colson wheels from cncbotparts. I think its crazy that via Priority USPS, it still took 6 days to get here from the states, slack ass postal workers, cant really blame cncbotparts for the delay.

After emailing the Robot Marketplace yesterday, I got this reply.

quote:

We are still waiting for the battery to arrive from the manufacturer,
everything else is boxed up and ready to ship when the battery arrives.
I'm not very happy at how long the battery pack has taken, but this
manufacturer was on vacation for a while and all our battery pack
orders were delayed.

As soon as the pack arrives next week, I will try to expedite the
service as fast as possible to get the package to you sooner. I am
sorry for the inconvenience.
--
-------------------------
Jim Smentowski
http://www.RobotCombat.com
http://www.RobotMarketPlace.com

On Aug 14, 2004, at 7:35 AM, Jeff Ferrara wrote:

> Hi
>
> Just checking up on the status of my order, order number
> 1817-2162-2562. Sorry if I seem a bit impatient, but I need to have my
> bot ready for an event on the 28/8. If its already been sent, any
> tracking numbers you have would be great.
>
> Thanks
> Jeff Ferrara

Thanks to the guys at battlepacks, Jim still doesnt have all of the stuff, and hasnt sent my order out. Im a bit frustrated by this, seeing that I orderd them on the 18th of July, and need them for Marayong 7.

On another note ive started cutting up the chassis and if all goes well, I should be on to welding it today.

ffej.net

Post Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Got another message from Jim today

quote:
Yes, they did finally arrive, and I increased the shipping from Air
Mail to Express Mail, which should arrive to you in only 3-4 days, it
went out 2 days ago. Sorry for the delays.

Thank you for your support of the Robot MarketPlace.

--
Jim Smentowski
http://www.RobotCombat.com
http://www.RobotMarketPlace.com

On Aug 20, 2004, at 6:48 AM, Jeff Ferrara wrote:

> Hello
>
> Just wondering if you've received the battlepack's to complete my order
> yet. Order number 1817-2162-2562.
>
> Regards
> Jeff Ferrara

Looks like ill be going to marayong 7 after all Smile

ffej.net

Post Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:41 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

KICK ASS !

My parts finally arived on monday, I didnt get the chance to play with them till this morning due to school commitments, but after doing so I think they were worth the wait. I had all four of my king right motors hooked up to the battlepacks and RS80D controller (current limiting and high temp cutoff is cool Very Happy) and was playing with the controllers settings. Setup was sooo much easier than what im used to, plug it in and it actually works, with just some minor trimming on the radio. I guess that could be said for pretty much all commercial propo controllers including the IBC, im not just used to it with my usual home brew on/off controllers that need continual maitenance.

Had a bit of a hard time trying to get 8G wire into the Anderson Powerpoles, but thats to be expected, seeing that there only supposed to take up to 10G. At one stage I thought I must had ended up with a dud controller, but a poke around with the multimeter showed that I hadnt pushed the plug inserts in far enough

After I get a new welder liner today, ill finish off welding the chassis, hopefully drill the mounting holes for the motors and get them in. Should have this bot done by friday, so might actually get some practice driving in before I get to the event (a first for me Smile)

ffej.net

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:18 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Nice one! What size wheels did you end up getting? I take it that you are doing a 4 wheeler this time around, or did I miss something?

Get welding and I hope to see you Saturday Smile

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:27 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

good stuff ;->

for some reason your bot (idea at least ;->) always reminded me of the thunderbirds (just not quite as cool)
that whole 6 wheel drive thing

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by nightshade:
I had all four of my king right motors hooked up to the battlepacks and RS80D controller (current limiting and high temp cutoff is cool Very Happy) and was playing with the controllers settings. Setup was sooo much easier than what im used to, plug it in and it actually works

Those RS80's are nice controllers, they are very similair to an IBC, being based on the same OSMC circuit with the same switchmode power supply and drive circuitry. They have an extra FET on the H-Bridges, doubling the power handling, and add current limiting and version 2.0 of the uMOB control Micro.

The only thing I didnt like about them was that as far as I can tell you cant use the auxillary/weapon output without having an additional controller to plug into the OSMC style aux connector, but the manual is a little skimpy in this area. can you confirm this ?

What are King right motors ?

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

Wel king right motors are motors sold in japan or something taht jeff bought and are the biggest, phatest motors i have ever seen. Basically heavyweight drive motors that cost bout 80 bucks each

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:47 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Biggest, baddest motor we had here was a 24v truck starter that would easily pull over 1200amps. It weighed around 10kg alone Very Happy

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:58 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I think Gary has a starter motor from a Rolls Royce Merlin Aircraft Engine lying around somewhere IIRC. When we get up to Super-Heavyweight class, look out.. Wink

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

[quote]
Nice one! What size wheels did you end up getting? I take it that you are doing a 4 wheeler this time around, or did I miss something? [quote/]

4in colsons, and still 6wd Smile

quote:
for some reason your bot (idea at least ;->) always reminded me of the thunderbirds (just not quite as cool)
that whole 6 wheel drive thing

This time it will be cooler . . . I promise Smile.

quote:
The only thing I didnt like about them was that as far as I can tell you cant use the auxillary/weapon output without having an additional controller to plug into the OSMC style aux connector, but the manual is a little skimpy in this area. can you confirm this ?

Im not 100% sure about that either. It looks like its got both the OSMC style output, with its plastic 12 pin plug (I think its 12, ive never actually counted), and an additional relay output. It does take 4 radio signals so it is quite possible, but the fourth radio signal in could just be for the flip function, so I dont really know.

quote:
What are King right motors ?

There beefy-ass motors (5kg) I got from taiwain, rated at like 1.2KW at 24V, but ide say they would peak much higher. I did have them at the annihilator and was going to bring one in and show it off, but left it in the car.

for more info:
http://www.kingright.com.tw/
Mine are custom wound MK1084's

ffej.net

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:49 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Well, its been a while isnce ive posted anything, but Singularity has gone through a major rebuild. Its up to version 3 now, and im hopeing this one will be a little better when it comes to taking the hits (bar the now exposed wheels, whos wheel covers had to be sacrificed in the name of weight loss )

Anyway, its now got a thick box steel chassis, covered in 3mm ali (again, armour sacrificed in for the weight) and will now be running 5in colsons rather than the 4in ones I had last event, so it should be a little faster too, im just hopeing im not pusing my luck too far with the drill's.

Pics at:
http://ffej.ath.cx/public/robotics/

Should be up most of the time, but telstra might go stuffing me around with my ISDN connection of late, so no promises

ffej.net

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:23 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Are those the 7/8" colsons? My very first bot had 5" by 2" colsons and they killed the drill gearboxes really quickly. I hope that the thinner wheels are kinder on the gears...

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:20 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Re: Singularity - Team Nightshade

quote:
Originally posted by nightshade:
Well, its the parts that are holding me back atm. On thurssay I recieved the colson wheels from cncbotparts. I think its crazy that via Priority USPS, it still took 6 days to get here from the states, slack ass postal workers, cant really blame cncbotparts for the delay.

It took my payment normal air mail 3 months to get to them Evil or Very Mad

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:37 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Are those the 7/8" colsons? My very first bot had 5" by 2" colsons and they killed the drill gearboxes really quickly. I hope that the thinner wheels are kinder on the gears...

Yeah, they are the 7/8's ones. If it turns out the gearboxes do break, thats no biggie, ill just turn up the current limit untill they cant develop enough torque to break anymore, not as much push, or acceleration, but thats the price you pay I guess (the fact that its spread over 6 motors should help too).

quote:

It took my payment normal air mail 3 months to get to them

Well, that was after I waited about 2 months for the guy to get back from holidays, I was waiting on my battlepacks for the same reason. Trust me to pick the time when both would be on hols . . .

For this revision, I got jim from the RMP to send it via DHL, which is only supposed to take 2 days including the time difference.

ffej.net

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:13 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I just ordered from stuff from Robot Market Place via DHL as well..

have you received your bits yet ? How long did they take ?
I wasnt sure from your message.

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:09 pm