www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Killer Toys Presents - Chucky -
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Author    Thread
assassin

Killer Toys Presents - Chucky -

No more vapor bots ppl, this ones getting built!

After consuming some time with a single pivot design, I'm going back to a four-bar design. Yes I'm building a launcher(Chucker).

It will have the same power and linkage design as this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNDcKqyq2K4

I never got to test it @ full pressure, I could only get 600 psi in the supply tank. I might be out of liquid CO2.

I'm currently designing the bot in Solidworks, which with my builds takes some time but its worth it. I'll post some pics when I have something decent to look @. The new and improved ram design is all done and I'll look @ acquiring some aluminum next week and start machining.

A milling machine will be coming to my workshop in about 3 weeks, this will give me greater flexibility with design and a new toy to play with too. Yay.

I purchased some Fortal plate for the single pivot bot, so I'll be using it for frame materials and the arm also the Hardox I have for a front wedge and arm tips. I'll use my Dewalts again for slave four wheel drive and the 883's. I got a lot of 20 A123, which are in the fridge. Once I know what shape the packs need to be I'll build them up. All the pneumatic stuff I have from the test bot in the youtube clip.

I'll post progress stuff here for the people interested, and of coarse all comments and tips are very welcome.

Wanna Play?!?

Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:11 am 
assassin

I'm still working on the CAD in my spare time.

I normally use 2011 from Caprol for my rams but today I priced some nice 7075-T651. And @ a cost of $75, I think I can splurge a bit and maybe cut some weight out of the ram.

Post Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:06 pm 
assassin

I trimmed some weight from the ram with 7075 set as the material, so I'm happy with that. You will have no idea how light it is.

I've been thinking now(and checking it in cad), I could save a lot of weight making my own supply and buffer tank! The only question would be the cost of getting them pressure tested. I might see if I can get some quotes tomorrow.

Post Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:45 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

IMO, pressure test it yourself at what ever the rules say (1300 psi?) and take a photo. That would satisfy me.

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:46 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Wouldn't satisfy the insurance company unfortuantly. Sorry.

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:20 pm 
assassin

After taking to some places today, they seem to think even before any testing a vessel would need a engineer certificate and be stamped. Which sounds like a pain in the ass and expensive. I want everything to be safe but I wanna be practical about it. Anything I design in CAD to hold pressure for CO2 is set @ a min of 2000psi.

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:28 pm 
assassin

If anyone knows a engineer that could help, that would be great.

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:32 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Now I really have to build my vertical spinner Chuck and claim the name back! Razz

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:33 pm 
assassin

Laughing sorry Nick, didn't know.

Picture this, me testing any pressure vessels filled with water in the pool(I would need a high pressure pump) to 2000 psi. In combat they would only see 850 psi. I knew I should gone to UNI for that certificate, hehe.

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:39 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Go see a hydraulics shop. The local guys here said they can pressure test up to 10000psi.

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:49 pm 
maddox

Over "here" you can certify a prototype- not for commercial use- stuff if you are a competent engineer.
Now, the fact is that to be a competent engineer you don't need any papers that say so.

According to the rules "here", you need to test the pressure vessel up to 1.5 times the rated maximum working pressure, or 1500 psi.
Then you write up a test report, and accept personal liability if something goes wrong during the use of the prototype.

And for such an high pressure pump. You can rebuild a simple grease gun to pump out 1500 psi. Just change the nozzle and mount a pressure gauge on it.

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
assassin

Thanks heaps guys. Even if I need to get papers(I've sent some emails and will make some more calls tomorrow), being able to test to 1500psi safely in the pool with a grease gun(nice one maddox) would be needed and reassuring. Design to 2000psi, test to 1500psi and hopefully be able to get some papers cheap and easy would be ideal. Not sure about the last part thou Confused

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:07 pm 
assassin

Could I accept personal liability Daniel? Could that work?

Post Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:10 pm 
assassin

Picked up a grease gun today, to play with. Rated to 10,000 psi.

Spoke to a pressure vessel testing company also today, and there happy to look @ the possibility of certification for me. All I have to do is get as much info I can together and send it to them Confused That doesn't sound like fun.

Update: The guy I spoke to was a "Registered Pressure Equipment Design Verifier"

Post Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:22 pm 
assassin

I think I've convinced myself just to change to 12oz paintball bottle instead of the 20oz ones, and not bother with custom vessels. 12oz buffer is still almost twice the volume of the RAM and a 12oz supply bottle will still give plenty of hits.

I'll get some 12oz bottles and do a test launch with the old 4-bar mech. It should still be sweet + I still haven't tested @ FP.

Post Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:45 pm