www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Toolbox - Team calamity - NSW
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Thomas AIC

Toolbox - Team calamity - NSW

This is my first bot and, being a noob. it is going to have an active weapon!

Class: Featherweight
Armour: 2-3mm tread-board aluminum reinforced at the front with rear and side wedges
Chassis: tubular - built around Armour
Drive: 12v Kmart drills
Weapon motor: brushless 50A max current out runner running at around 16v
Controller: RC hobby ESC's.
Weapon: frontal claw - clamper, linear actuated.
Wheels: red wheels
Batteries: drill packs or other Ni Cad's.

Due to the price of thick sheet metals from bunnings I bought a strong metal toolbox (thus the name) to which I am building my design around, the wedges will be pretty much disposable armour they are only there to put some space between my electronics and spinning blades/disks, the front is going to be reinforced with a grid of square tubing bolted to it.

The only thing I am worried about is what to make the claw out of, due to ease of bending, I am planning on using 2 sizes of round aluminum pipe sleeved in each other and a chisel welded to the contact point.

if there are any fatal flaws with my design, such as weight or rule infringements, anything at all, please let me know. the drive is done and I am going to pick and payless tomorrow for the actuator/s. I know the best way to get them is out of a chair in a vn commodore but are there any specific extraction tools I need, and around how much will they charge me for 1 actuator?

also, I am looking for 3 drill packs to a good home. and specifically to dyrodium I am interested in the purchase of your nicad packs.

thanks for your time!

cheeseboy Cool

Post Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andrew

im unsure being a clamper claw dealy how the brushless comes into play?

if u need assistance add me on msn-sir_welchalot@hotmail.com

Post Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:41 pm 
Thomas AIC

yeah I wasn't very clear, its an upgrade for the existing actuator motor. I haven't purchased the motor as of yet, because I want to see the strength the actuators mechanism can take before upgrading the motor

Post Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i dont think youd be able to afford a reversible brushless controller massive enough to power a decent clamp if you cant afford some batteries. such an item would be well over $200!

most brushless controllers only work in one direction.

probably need a few tools. most of the seats ive played with just slide off the rails. some have little hex bolts as stops. dunno about commodores. most cars use hex head bolts for everything basically so have plenty of sockets and spanners. and a big hammer never hurts Razz

tell them its for a school project and they usually give it to you for $10 -20

dont put too much thought into your first robot. theres always so much to learn. just get something working and get into a competition Very Happy even just bolt a strong wedge on your tool box and bring it down.

ill have an MDF robot this event if you want to have a few fights with it. incase your not ready for the spinners and what not Smile

good luck

Post Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Thomas AIC

I know I am being a bit ambitious for my first bot, but I do have some prior experience building RC cars and boats, and as such I already have an esc from an RC car I made, I have this hobby king one:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8993&Product_Name=Hobby_King__Brushless_Car_ESC_100A_w/_Reverse#

The reasons I don't get A123's is the expense of a charger, the fact that I have only seen them sold in packs of around 10, and I don't trust my self to build a pack with separate charging cables and so on. I have only spent ~80 dollars so far on my bot (not including the cost of pre-purchased items) including more bolts than I'll ever need, and I really want to keep it below $200

BTW I can only make it to events on weekends so I won't be there at the next event. (IIRC its on a Wednesday? I don't know why it would be but that is what I remember)

thanks for the help, I really want to end up with something cool!

Post Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:14 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

:S not that i remember theyve been on weekends for the last 6 years or so haha

Post Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

No way, events are always on saterday Razz otherwise no one would make it ! Laughing I sent you a pm regarding batteries, btw Wink

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:19 pm 
Thomas AIC

he he noob error Embarassed where can I find the most recent schedule of events? the sticky topic says 23rd of April? thx for your help guys!

Post Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:26 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Heres a pic so you know what to look for, the model commodore might be later than VN, not sure when it changed over but VT would use these too, if your at the wreckers just check any car with electric seats.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b389/762378/IMG_7027.jpg

I suggest you just start of at stock voltage and not worry about brushless mods, get it working then try ramp the power up gradually, is how we prefer to do it. At stock voltage they will survive a stall for a few seconds, so limit switches arent as necessary, possibly include a thermal circuit breaker for safety.

For high speed and good power your probubly better off with a recirculating ball one with a cage that hits an end stop so the worm shaft keeps spinning when the nut reaches the endof its travel, so you dont have to stop a motor suddenly at the end of the travel

Some of these actuators have plastic parts that arent as easily modified, the one in the picture has metal nut end which is handy if your welding.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b389/762378/IMG_7032.jpg

Look for pictures or videos of pincher or kingpincher (nexus bots) and also scoopy doo's overhead arm for these actuators in action

scoopy doo vs ig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPfou2exxMs&feature=related
king pinscher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fDBpk7wJJs
pinscher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gnB1oqZbHA&feature=related

As far as we know none have malfunctioned/burntout/stripped gears in an australian robot but then again glen or unco havent used them yet :plolol

Post Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:55 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

This is the page for the next Sydney event: http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1409

This page lists all this year event dates: http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1322

Post Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:04 pm 
Thomas AIC

thanks for the pics Rob, I found them in the first car I looked in, the actuators were sitting there glaring at me, I spent literally hours working on it but I couldn't get them out because I was trying to take of the whole metal base of the chair off. I gave up and I gathered a fan motor, a windscreen wiper motor and a window motor. When I went to pay The guy wanted $20 for the fan motor and $60 each for the windscreen wiper motor and the window motor Shocked , are these normal prices? becasue I thought they would be cheaper. In the end I went against purchasing them. I am currently trying to find a place to buy armour that is cheaper than bunnings, I find their prices horrendous! any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:14 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

What wreckers did you go to? I have been paying under $20 for fan motors and $60 for a wiper motor sounds outrageous!

Post Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:43 pm 
Thomas AIC

I went to pick and payless, but I think the guy at the counter had something against me!

Post Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:42 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Hmm, actually has anyone been there since the GFC? They might have mega freaked and charge a bucket load now Sad If you can get to PnP though, you can definitely get to lots of the metal places out that area.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:05 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I'm not sure why their prices have gone up so much, but they are obviously charging more nowadays - didn't we used to get wiper motors for around $20? For what your getting, the brand new scooter motors seem better value then fan motors now Confused

Post Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:41 pm