www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

welding tube

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

welding tube

Anyone got any hints and tips for welding tube to each other at 90 degrees? id consider myself pretty proficient at welding plate but i cant get it together when doing tube.

the arc always tries to jump onto one piece if i just point the arc at the join of the two pieces (thats how i do box section and it works well) and when i weave the pool back and forth between the tubes the weld itself looks stupidly massive.

still have to practice a ton more at it but any little hints wouldnt go astray Smile

getting to this sort of level with steel is what im after (without the big crack underneath obviously, funny story my first mongoose bmx snapped off there totally and i nearly broke my neck as a kid. good to see they havent changed a thing Laughing )

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

I assume you're talking TIG?

Try having the tungsten extender further than normal - and make sure it's nice and sharp.

I'd say you'll need to use the same weave technique, but work on making it smaller.

Also make sure the tubes fit nice and closely.

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

cool, yeah it is the tig ill keep that in mind. ive only had the tungsten extended the standard amount. so ill try push it out more and wind up the flow.

just bought one of these so ill see how long it lasts haha. fishmouthing the tube with a bench grinder is a bit gnarly.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42324

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
assassin

That notcher looks like a neat tool. I like the idea of a tubed frame, what are you building? I've killed three high quality mountainbike frames @ the head tube, one put me in hospital overnight too, arh those were the days Laughing

Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:28 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

haha yeah, back in 1995 the ali welding wasnt too good Laughing funnily enough i only bought chromoly bikes from there on in...

some of the new MTB's are insane. was at a bike shop the other week getting some bits and they have 6 pot hydraulic brakes, carbon fibre floating rotors. CF frames, Belt drives, full on gas shocks Shocked crazy.

Nothing to be built in particular. just one of those things i cant do well i want to get good at. never know where itll come in handy. robots where the tube will be a bit lighter and stronger i think then box section, custom bikes i want to start making, everything in general Razz

thinking of making a notcher jig for my lathe as well. i think that will work a bit better then the chinky notcher haha

Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:31 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

You probably want a smaller cup size as well, so you can keep the small flow rate and not blow the arc out.

If your doing decent stuff on tube steel etc, you will also want to use the right filler rods etc (to help stop cracks like the one in that picture ;->)

Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

I should get a tube notcher, but I always seem to be working with stainless, which will kill the holesaw pretty quick!

Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

you can get bimetal holesaws I believe, should last somewhat longer?

Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

yeah they should. Stainless is pretty bad though!

When I was doing the boat framework I got pretty good at notching tube with the angle grinder Smile

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:57 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by DumHed:
yeah they should. Stainless is pretty bad though!

When I was doing the boat framework I got pretty good at notching tube with the angle grinder Smile

To a testifiably good result!

Post Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:13 pm