Builder : Andrew Campbell, Perth
Driver : Andrew Campbell
Class : FeatherWeight
Chassis/Armour : Aluminium Chassis, Shock dampened Polycarb armour
Weapon : Dual weapons - Lifter and Flamer
Drive : 12v XU1's
Controller : Spektrum 5E 2.4Ghz Spread Spectrum
Batteries : 12v NiCad packs
Sponsors: Nope, but the Polycarb is, in part, a means for allowing people to look in to the body and go 'ooh' as is the flamer. Good for generating interest.

Name is ECE [External combustion engine] as duly stolen from Spockie

Yes, the Flamethrower is rubbish, as weapons go, but it will look impressive. The plan is to have heavy armour on the front and ram, then ultimately lift the opposing bot and flame its underside/wheels. Armour will be modular to allow a certain amount of wiggle room to focus on different defensive strategies. A massively destructive bot? Nope, but it will hopefully allow some more interest over here in the wild wild west.

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:57 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

The flame weapon isn’t effective against every opponent but what is, I have won fights with Pyro when people tap out, haven’t caused any real damage to anyone’s bot yet.

Toughest thing to get right with a flamethrower is the remote ignition.

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:56 pm 
Andrew_Campbell [WA]

I was thinking of a Platinum filament Glowplug for the ignition and a 12v fuel pump for the flow.

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:01 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i think the shock of even basic fighting would kill the glow plug. the elements are pretty fine.

some of the little antweights used nichrome wire to get their flames going. its cheap everywhere, you can yank it out of a toaster Razz

Argus in the USA had a cool system. just a grinding stone mounted up against a strip of steel and the sparks would set off the gas. that seemed to work exceedingly well

what flammable substance are you going to use? if your using a fuel pump sounds like its gunna come out as a liquid unless you run it through a carb jet or somthing like that to atomize it.

and what plans do you have for the lifter. sounds like itll be a pretty unique machine Cool

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Andrew_Campbell [WA]

Flames : I've been looking at a range of nebuliser heads, which would turn any fuel into a mist as it streamed out. They are not cheap (for the metal ones) but should do the job pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbieStott?gl=AU&hl=en-GB#p/u/20/VjNs2O9Yqnk

Lifter : I've been talking to a few guys about this, and it looks like a linear actuator is the way to go, even though the extension time is fairly long (3 seconds or so). I imagine the basic tactic would be similar to the video posted above; drive them into the wall, or on top of ECE, extend the arm to tilt them 90 degrees, them flame the crap out of them...again, not hugely destructive, but I believe a good compromise between ooh factor and combat ability. I'm not interested in annihilating my opponents...I'm beginning to work out, at a core level, how much time commitment there is in this to want to totally destroy someone else's hard work.
If we built an arena in Perth, I'd ensure that there was some non destructive way of winning (assuming I had any control at all on the arena), meaning an ability to flip an opponent out of the formalised ring area, and perhaps a pit for wedges/pushers to push their opponents in to. That way the less destructive, and perhaps less well built vehicles can still have a chance, through misfortune or skill, to win, even against a eat-your-children-spinner-of-death.

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:31 pm