www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Spinderella - Hellfire Labs - QLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Have you taken Spinderella for a spin yet?

Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:08 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Andrew is currently in the philippines and won't be back for 2 weeks, i think. And he'll have a 2 year old son when he gets back so not sure when we'll see a spin up. I'm more interested in seeing what he did to Sidewinder

Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:52 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I have most of the robot done now except the weapon. She is coming in at just over 96g so the hole saw idea is starting to look difficult. I am keeping my eyes open for weapons around here but she will be finished within a couple of days.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:12 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Weight is getting to be an issue. She is looking more Mauler shaped every time I work on her. Just need to attach a couple of steak knifes for teeth and she is done.

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Looks good. I won't mind if you are a little over weight.

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:47 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

she is far from overweight at just over 100g. I was just hopping for more armour.
I am already planning a rebuild. I will do some current draw tests when finished to see if i can replace the 500mAh battery with smaller cells to make room for the weapon motor and esc on the baseplate. This will lower the overall height by 17mm at least. I will also make the baseplate from a PCB with all the wiring etched onto it to make it all lighter and compact. Then i can use the hole saw shell.

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:22 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

After adding aluminum teeth and balancing the spinner I gave it a test last night.
Slowly increasing the speed went well. When getting close to full speed she drifts around a lot and is very difficult to drive but sounds great.
Since that went well I decided to see how quick she can get to full speed and that when it went bad. Embarassed
As she accelerated the spinner the base accelerated in the opposite direction at what seemed the same rate. Since the base is not balanced and not quite level she began to mauler dance. I cut the throttle but a tooth already hit the ground. Since this was just a quick test I hadn't put the circlip back in to hold the spinner on so the spinner went up and sideways. As it did it came across and hit the brushless ESCs voltage regulator and twisted it off the board. It then somehow moved and hit the ESC again at a 90 degree angle from the previous hit and cleanly removed a resister and hit the microcontroller before it all went vertical. Shocked

I have managed to reattach the voltage regulators and the microcontroller still works but I have no idea of the value for the resister. It is a pull up resister off one of the pins of the micro and the ESC does seem to work fine without it. I have soldered a 1M 0402 in its place and I hope it all keeps going for next weekend.

SO the leason is always put the circlip on and run tests with a camera rolling.

Post Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:43 am 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Lol well described tho, i imagined it all in my head in super-slow motion with sparks flying

Post Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:12 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

spinderela is all ready for tomorrow. I replaced the ali teeth with steel ones, added an LED to the front to help guess which way she is facing and added a 2 pin header in series with the battery so i can use a jumper as a removable link.
Gave her a test at work and scared all the other techs so all is good.

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:45 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

A bit slow with the event wrap up but here goes.
I was quite happy with how she went. No major work was needed all day except changing a circlip and charging the batteries.

The first match was against Auzzie which is a Marto kit robot wrapped in green and yellow tape. I decided to take it easy and never used more than 4 notches on the throttle except when she got stuck on the seam in the floor. The extra throttle there caused her to drift off the seam and then I slowed it down again. Even at low speed she was able to pull Auzzies servos apart without problem. At one point Spinderella hit some of the ali bracket at the side of the arena and got airborne. Looking at the slow motion video shows that hitting something with the bottom corner of a tooth will tip the robot up slightly and the gyroscopic forces do the rest.
The last hit of the match was the worst with Spinderellas weapon coming apart. Even in slow motion it is hard to see what happened. It looks as though a tooth hit the floor and the circlip that holds the weapon motor together comes off and the rotor/weapon leave the robot at high speed. I have found a dent in the side of the motors base so it looks like the weapon hit the robot at least once.
Spinderella won by knockout even with both robots immobilized
After the match I replaced the circlip with a resister lead wrapped around the circlip groove and it stayed together for the rest of the day.
Slow motion video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfdvXVtbWeU

The second match was against Styrobot which was built by my work mate for his son. It had a styro foam base covered in a thin polycarb shell and a servo spinning two prongs for a weapon. I felt more confident with Spinderella so I used half throttle for this match.
After spending 2:45 of the match shredding bits off Styrobot including a wheel, weapon and a fair amount of the front of the robot Spinderella once again hit the ali bracket on the side of the arena and got airborne and landed upside down. As the final count down started and Styrobot doing slow circles in the center of the arena I decided to give her a spin. She wobbled about for 5 seconds before the centrifugal forces pulled the removable link out and she stopped. A judge quickly stepped in after the match finished and declared Spinderella immobilized and that Styrobot was the winner by knockout. I am disappointed with the loss but happy with how she performed.
Since the channel 9 camera man kept getting in the way we don't have the full match in slow motion so here is the first half: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNj07i7QFpo

3rd round was against Jack the flipper. He came in quick and got under the spinner and Spinderella wen upside down. Since I handn't changed the link at all it came out and it was all over quickly. no more to say

Next Spinderella was in the finals drawn up against Jack the flipper again. I pushed the link back in behind the receiver to prevent it coming out. Just the same as the previous match he flipped me in the first hit. I spun up the weapon and after a dew seconds Spinderella bounced onto her wheels but just as she did so the link somehow came out so that was the end.

Marto then asked if I would like to fight Scorpy to fill in some time. With the link again pushed in we went at it. After a few hits I managed to damage his weapon before shearing the 4 screw that held on Spinderellas weapon and it came apart. Then it was a pushing match. No clear winner from that one.

Last of all was the melee. Without any screws in the weapon it didn't last long. One hit on Scorpy and the weapon was gone and Spinderella was upside down. I kept the weapon motor on the keep her moving but it was pretty sad really.

Last edited by kkeerroo on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:57 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

The camera man wasn't getting int he way. My camera ran out of memory and I didn't have time to free up some more. That's why there is only 7 slow motion videos for the whole day.

Post Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:15 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

after the match with styrobot that last the full 3 minutes witht weapon going flat out the battery only needed 110mAH charge. Based on this i have ordered 4x 130mAh 25C turnigy cells. This morning i pulled Spinderella apart and re arranged everything to fit on one side of the carbon fiber base plate with enough room for the new cells. This means i can take 10mm of height from the prevoius 35mm.
I will need to half the dia of the wheels so i will have to look at modding the servos to double the speed.

Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:18 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I have speed moded the servos today. Closer inspection shows the final stage in the gearbox is connected to a steel shaft that runs through the third last stage and is connected to an insert that sits inside the pot. I have removed the pots and then filled the space between the final gear and the third last gear with araldite to lock them together and removed the 2nd last gear. The result is 7x increase in output speed and bugger all torque.

Post Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:54 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Spinderella is ready to go for tomorrow.
I had ordered some of the nano-tech 130mAh cells from Hobby king a month ago just when they were listed as out of stock. After waiting 3 weeks for them I ordered 2x 240mAh 20C cells along with some 24awg wire and connectors. After finishing work on Spinderella tonight I got an email that the 130mAh cells are now in stock.
To improve the poor radio range of the single conversion FM receiver I made a tuned antenna out of stainless steel trace wire and a hand made 1.5uh inductor. now she has 5m range instead of 2m.
A bit of experimenting was done for the wheels to give enough ground clearence and still clear the screws that hold the weapon teeth on. During testing I also found the the modded servos would have problems. When i speed modded the servos I removed a gear completly. This gear shared an axle with another gear and since it was now alone it could freely move up and down the axle and away from the output gear. I fixed this by drilling a 1mm hole in the servo case next the the axle and inserting a steel pin in just far enough to prevent the gear from moving too far. Works well and Spinderella is much faster.
The weapon teeth have also had their ends bent 90 degrees outwards so they are just a couple of mm off the ground and increase the reach of the weapon.
So improvements are: lower height and cg, 3x faster, better removable link and weapon teeth closer to the ground to stop wedges.

Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:25 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Absolute disaster of an event for spinderella. Not sure if she will be back.
First fight against Brainless. Brainless spun up , flew accross the arena and the died. We decided that Spinderella should hit Brainless to see what happens. After a light tap Spinderella flew into the air and landed upside down. I gave her a spin to see what she would do but she lost power quickly. After the match i found the centrifical force pulled the positive tab off the battery. It seems the tab was weakened where it was welded together. After finding i couldn't solder to what remained of the tab i crimped the tab around the wire and then glued the wires to the battery.
Before the second fight against Jack the Flipper i gave Spinderella a test anf found if she moved with more than half throttle she would fly into the air and land upside down.
When the fight with Jack the Flipper started i found one servo not working and couldn't move. As usual one quick tap on Jack caused Spinderella to turn over and that was all. After the fight i found a servo mount had broken and a servo wire had come off. Fixed with super glue and solder.
Next was against the Stig. Again every tap would turn Spinderella over but Philip wanted a fight so kept turning Spinderella over. This went on for a while until Spinderella tore itself apart. It seems that she hit the floor while spinning which caused the weapon to flex and one of the weapon teeth mounting screws hit the battery, ESC, destroyed the receiver and banged up a servo.
While watching the next fight my wife was holding Spinderella after looking at the damage and noticed the battery smoke and then spark. By the time i got there the smoke was gone but the robot was too hot to touch. But no fire.
Spinderella is a write-off.

Post Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:58 pm