www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Werewolf - Machina La Mort - Victoria

Author    Thread
DavidM

Werewolf - Machina La Mort - Victoria

I'm having a go at two bots, so far all I have is two frames and one controller. The controller I have is barely running (but running still the same), it is about the size of three IBCs, and has an ATMega8535 running it and two H-bridges of BUK9535 and IRF5210 Mosfets, I'm using P types in stead of a Hipchip with charge pumps, thus enabling higher voltages, but thats the not the point, the extra control lines are the point.

I'll see how it goes, theres a lot of work in the IBC and I'm not sure that I will be able to get a mandatory fail safe integrated and I know there's been lots of subtle stuff done with the IBC to make it a good performer in battle.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:55 pm 
andrew

comer on david. dont be a tease.
I need more info. whats the specs, the weopon and knowing u it will look cool (lots of respect for that alone).

I hope it goes well for u. WIth all this B.S. bout not being able to drive multiple robots etc etc, what will u do for that. I wish one person could drive 2 or 3 robots but with all this crap floating round about limiting our creativity etc then its a bummer.

Cant wait to see how it goes and let us know more when u get a chance. cya dude

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:34 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by andrew:
WIth all this B.S. bout not being able to drive multiple robots etc etc, what will u do for that. I wish one person could drive 2 or 3 robots but with all this crap floating round about limiting our creativity etc then its a bummer.

Stop whinging Welchy.. Rolling Eyes The one bot per driver rule doesnt limit your creativity at all.. you are perfectly free to build as many bots as you like, but if you want to enter them all in a single competition, you just need to co-op some friends as drivers of them to avoid the "having to fight yourself" situation that every other competition in the world prevents as well.

One bot per driver doesnt stop Gary (Rotwang) from building and entering multiple robots, he just gets his Sons to drive (in fact he prefers it since they're better drivers anyway and he prefers building).

So there's nothing to stop David from entering multiple bots, and he is even allowed to take over the driving of his surviving robot(s) if his primary driving entry gets knocked out. You cant be fairer than that without stuffing up the competition if you end up pitted against yourself.

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

Yeah i know. Its just i plan some cool stuff and i want to compete with each myself.

It feels weird to build something then be forced. especially in a comp, to give them the controlls and sit back and watch. i would rather get in there myself with each.

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:50 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Come on David, spill the beans,
What sort of robot is werewolf going to be.

Might be able to have a beastwars comp with snarling robots.
You have me so curious about it.

Not interested about your dose of syphilis, will stay clear of that but what is werewolf about.
What is its weapon? Blah blah?

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:29 pm 
DavidM

The DBC is alive, but the drive isn't ready yet.

Here's the DBC for Werewolf.

http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=194

As for spilling the beans, I'll think about it. I may have a sneak preview or even a movie by the end of the weekend.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:08 pm 
DavidM

Well finally I will spill the beans, here is the test frame.

http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=224

It still isn't performing how I'd like to yet, the simulation was great, the 1/3 scale version works fine, but the full scale version with compliance isn't working that great (yet), it moves but its scary, imagine making a dog eat 20 no-doze tablets then get it to smoke a packet of Peter Stuyvesant and give it some LSD and yell 'watch out for the spiders on your tail', thats how it moves.

Post Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:52 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by DavidM:
Here's the DBC for Werewolf.

That looks like quite an involved pcb you have there david.. did you design it from scratch or is it being adapted from some other purpose ?

Post Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DavidM

Well spotted Brett.

At work I'm designing a medical table that uses linear actuators, this board drives two actuators (2000N each), the board measures drive voltages, currents, motor continuity, actuator position pots, failure modes, plus the normal PWM stuff, as the other thread says its not hard to make a controller but its not trivial either, a bit of time went into protection and even to the level 'what if someone removed this chip doing a repair'. The board uses garden variety devices. I'm using digital logic to prevent any deliberate attempts by the micro to do something it shouldn't like a shoot-thru condition, but the micro still has to do the 'miller time' (sorry bad pun) for a polarity changeover. The board has a few spare IRQs and I/O lines plus an RS-232 port/drivers. The cost is fairly reasonable, but not squeezed for real estate like the IBC the layout was designed for easy reliability, maintenance, failure tolerance/warning and simple assembly and no surface mount. You could place 3 IBCs side by side on the board, so its not diminutive.

So when the first protype boards were made for the medical project, I thought one PCB wouldn't mind a change of software and change of scenery to the rough and tumble world of robot combat.

And the question, did I blow any FETs up, sure did, noise into the bias circuit, partially driving the opposite P type, sort of a partial shoot-thru got warm and took out the bias circuit, a bit more filtering on the bias and its fine now, but not what I expected to happen, of course Spice didn't see it either.

Why, because Werewolf needs both motors 180 degrees synchronised, if not the two motors effectively 'beat' and the bot gyrates until it comes out of a synchronicity (not a bad album).

Post Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:51 pm