www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

R2RCR USA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
rjw

quote:
Originally posted by assassin:
rjw thats a bitchin little bot you have there. What are the problems/issues with it, what do you NEED to improve?

Thanks

Absolutely no problems with it so far. But I am working to try and re-code the cheap heli bescs, so as to work as forward/reversing escs.

If this happens, then it opens up a lot of possibilities. A melty could spin in either direction AND also drive like a regular bot, so that it could escape being trapped in a corner.

Also, a regular drive robot could switch to melty mode if for example the weapon went south....I think that this could be really cool, if I can get it to work!!!

Some side notes: I think I mentioned that Analog Devices which makes the Sparkfun accelerometer now has a 500G unit, but at the moment it is very pricey. The 250G Sparfun unit is ok, but you can't mount much closer than around 10mm + from the center of the robot, in that the closer it is placed, the harder and more sensitive it is to calibrate.

Also, when choosing escs, lately I've been getting mine from HobbyPartz. They are sold under the Exceed brand, but also as Turnigy Plush and other names. Supposedly they are all made by HobbyWing...the clue is that they can all be programmed with a small flat led panel device.

In any case, they have little soldering pads that would make it easy to re-code, should the fwd/rev mod become a reality, and they are known to work at 400Hz straight out of the box.

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:40 am 
rjw

Link to possible beatle brushless motors

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8144&Product_Name=Turnigy_2627_Brushless_300-Size_Heli_Motor_4200kv

Can't say that I've tried or even seen these, but the price and specs seem reasonable.

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:35 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

What are your thoughts on a single larger motor driving 1 wheel like spambutchers designs? Think it'd go ok with the brushless alternative? Smile
Cheers !

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:50 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

What do you think of something like an IR beacon rather than using the accelerometers?

or perhaps use a wheel rotation sensor?

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
rjw

quote:
Originally posted by dyrodium:
What are your thoughts on a single larger motor driving 1 wheel like spambutchers designs? Think it'd go ok with the brushless alternative? Smile
Cheers !

I don't see why not... the 1 wheel design is just a personal preference, whether brushed or brushless.

There are pros and cons to either setup. I prefer the quicker spinup of a 2 wheeler.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:47 am 
rjw

quote:
Originally posted by Valen:
What do you think of something like an IR beacon rather than using the accelerometers?

or perhaps use a wheel rotation sensor?

How would an IR beacon work in a melty application?

Wheel sensor on the wheel(s) ? Not sure how that would work, in that wheel speed may not always be a linear relationship to robot rotational speed..

If I'm missing something, please educate me..

If it's a cost thing, I believe that there are chip style accelerometers that can be had for much less than the Sparkfun unit.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:51 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

My understanding is you use the accelerometer to infer your rotation rate, then use that as a time base for your motor speed up/down commands and "direction" output LED.

Watching the videos the direction output LED seems to indicate the melty system is very prone to drift in the short term (which using a 2nd or 3rd integration for position with a noisy input is going to happen)

Putting an IR beacon in the arena, as the melty spins look at the beacon for positioning information. Use that as the basis for the speed up/down, and you should see no drift in the long term (seconds).

Adding a rate gyro to the mix will let you infer position throughout the rotation to take out any bumps or the like (which seem to be the main cause of drift) and would help with drift even if you don't go with the beacon.

the wheel speed sensor is just another way of getting the rotation speed, you only need one integration to get the rotational velocity then rather than two, so you could wind up somewhat in front.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:36 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
rjw

In my case, I would not add anything, in that the robots seems to work pretty well. I'm spinning them a lot faster than most and imo floor conditions and my bad driving skills are the 2 biggest problems.

I'm sure that there is plenty of room for improvement, but at the moment I'm happy with how they perform, except in an ejection arena of course.

I'm all for R & D, but I have other related projects that are on the burner at the moment. You should build a melty and test your ideas out....we need a lot more people doing this , to move it forward.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:53 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Herr gepounden uses an IR beacon to do its translation, the guys have a demo of it working here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjrrbg78YZ4
Much lower speed though... Can however drive normaly which other meltys can't!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:22 pm 
rjw

I've seen that video before, but at the moment youtube will only play a small portion of it???

Not to take anything away from their efforts, but I'm not sure of the need for all sorts of electronics, especially in a robot that might pingpong off of everything aroond it....I'v had caps come unsoldered on a br6000 receiver even though it was very well padded....kiss might be the word, unless the electronics does something totally needed and beyond what Rich's setup does.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:42 pm 
rjw

Looks like MLEC (our educational team) has been approved by battlebots, so a 120 melty is in the near future....

Post Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:36 pm 
rjw

New 3 pound melty siting on top of material for the 12

We have an event at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia in 10 days

Here is my NEW 3 pound melty sitting on top of the material for the NEW 12

the new 3 spins to around 4500 rpm

Ti armor and S7 knocker...on Colsons of course

Hope I get the 12 done in time....

Thankfully, the alu block is sponsored

Post Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:56 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer