RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

How to connect HK401b gyro?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by miles&Jules:
Well we threw the gyro/mixer in Lotus and it went mental in the tv room, so took it outside and it went mental there to, and smashed one of Jules' fancy back yard ornaments.....

Try reversing your steering channel. What is probably happening is that your motors are doing the opposite to what the gyro is trying to correct.

Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:04 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Also I would suggest trying it on a bench with the wheels off the ground.

The idea of the gyros is to keep the robot straight. So what you can do is sit it on the bench and make sure it drives properly. Then with the wheel still off the ground try twisting it and the motors should spin to correct for the external rotation as you are still commanding it to stay straight. Only then would I try releasing it again as by the sounds of it, it got away from you.

Steve

Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:08 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
Also, be *careful* while setting up and testing. Get one of the switches back-to-front, or turn your robot upside down (if invertible) with certain drive combos, and your robot will go into "The Gyro Death Spin" as the Gyro applies the wrong polarity/direction correction signals and keeps your robot at full-speed turning.

Best bet is to do all testing with the robot sitting on a stable block with the wheels off the ground until you have it all figured out.

Some People just dont listen do they ? Confused

Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Hi guys
I actually plugged the sensitivity receiver plug into the throttle up and down control ...that was the only channel I could get it to do anything on.
Yeah we tried the wheels off the table trick, but then i thought I would take it for a spin. Oh well! Will keep experimenting with the gyros though!

m

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:10 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

If you have the gain connected to the throttle of the radio then first try it with the stick in the center.This will be zero gain. With the robot off its wheels turning the robot with your hand will not cause the wheels to turn. Moving the stick from center will increase the gain for either of the two modes but I'm not sure which way will be what mode. For standard mode the wheels will only move while the robot is being turned. In heading hold / AVCS mode the wheels will continue to turn until the robot is turned back to its original heading. The more you move the gain stick the more you will increase the gain and the more aggressively the wheels will turn.
Take note which way the wheels are turning. if they are moving with the movement and not against you will need to change the invert setting on the gyro or just mount it upside down. Only after this is working should you put the robot on the floor.
Try driving the robot with very small amounts of gain first and slowly increase it until your happy. If the robot starts occilating or wagging back and forth the the gain is too high and the gyro is over correcting.
Once your happy with the gain take note of the throttle level and then transfer this end point to an auxiliary switch. That way you wont bump it during a match. I have some dials on my transmitter and use those for the gain.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:38 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

If the default configuration, the knobs on the T6A aren't mapped to anything. But that can be changed in the software. You can also map one to two channels.

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:33 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Hi Guys
Now I get what Im supposed to do. Will give that a go....I may have the mixer weirdly attached as well. Could it would just lunge without much control.

Steve, the throttle was definitely working, so maybe I could get the dials on the top of the transmitter to work, they would be good for gain, its just that the config software seems very bazaar to me!
Miles

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:45 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Yeh its really crap. Their is another software package out there. But it costs $1 USD I have used it and its much much better than T6A config. There is a link somewhere on the forum..... I have it running on my VM.

Oh and you only have to pay the $1 if you want to save configs. I paid it anyway because it was worth it.

Steve

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:57 am 
kato

quote:
Originally posted by marto:
Yeh its really crap. Their is another software package out there. But it costs $1 USD I have used it and its much much better than T6A config. There is a link somewhere on the forum..... I have it running on my VM.

Oh and you only have to pay the $1 if you want to save configs. I paid it anyway because it was worth it.

Steve

Is this it? http://www.sgr.info/usbradio/default.htm

Edit: found the thread here: http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=62961

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:01 pm