www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

The Thorn - Beetleweight Combat Arena.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Doing that today, just had to fiddle around seeing what the spread of light was like (1.4m square, so offset to the corners should be the best place for that ) and work out how im going to mount it all to deal with the heat.

god damn they run hot! D:

Post Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Hoooo kay. Rain seriously hindered any attempt to work today (wtf weather) but i did get started on the lighting.

As Nick/Jaemus/Jake et al mentioned having them off to the side will cover the dark spots usually in the corners, and with all 4 the center should be equally as bright, so the spread of light is looking to be pretty well equal all throughout the arena. Good stuff!

And in the panel. The light is mounted to a bit of heatsinking aluminium L bracket, and the cut out it sits in as a little bit bigger than the body of the light, so it isn't touching the light, thus i hope we will prevent any combustion Razz

Also need to grab some mesh to cover the lights with, hopefully that wont screw up the light too much.

Going to be a huge week though. Need to finish the last roof panel, mount all the lights within, paint the wood and then possibly paint the entire arena, but that's the last thing to do after ensuring everything fits fine ala the polycarb.

Post Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Once the roof is painted white, the lighting will really even out - the light placement looks perfect. Don't paint close to the lights on the back face of the panels; the paint is probably much less heatproof than the wood.

Post Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:15 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

should we paint the floor white too? or some kind of light grey?

Post Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

A light to mid grey might be the best compromise between lighting and wear - white would mark up and look dirty in about half a match. What did we use out at Jeff's place on the big arena? That seemed to work fairly well.

Post Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:32 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I was mainly thinking of the cameras, white might wash the image out?

Post Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

That off green / grey in the feather arena does look good.

Should work out a scheme for the arena as a whole, It'll probably get painted Thursday. Need to paint the metalwork, the bumpers, floor and the roof (white).

Post Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:08 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Okay, center strips mounted which means the major construction is done, just refinement from here on in! Tommorows job is to cut down the polycarb and get at least two panels sliding nicely.

Strange forms! the vilence revolves! LIGHTS! strange forms! (10 points if you know where thats from ;D) Very happy with the lighting. The brackets dont get hot and the wood has a nice gap, so i think thats going to work out. But oh god does it get hot in there. Only had one lamp turned on while i was drilling some holes to screw the roof down and had to get out after 5 minutes. T'was stifling.

So after i get the mesh and screw that over the lights, its paint time.

What are we going to do with painting the metal. I don't have any money to cough up and Courtney hasn't gotten back to me yet with the club funds (will chase that up tommorow) and the paint is ~ $100 a can.

To be honest, with the arena assembled you cant see any of the crusty stuff, just the box section and the L bracket corners which look fine. Perhaps we can just get through the event and paint it afterwards? The only colour i could find was gunmetal grey anyways. I think that will look pretty crap with white wood work. YMMV.

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:51 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

OK, I can stump up for the paint, its just a question of getting a good colour.I have used dark green around the workshop and it also comes in a bronze and blue colour as well as "silver" that Glen mentioned. IMHO, the blue colour is going to look best against the white roof.

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:21 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Jake mentioned he saw charcoal colour at bunnings Penrith, I was thinking that would look pretty good, A dark frame would keep it all rather imposing looking Smile

That blue hammered finish is pretty light though, might look a bit poxy for a fighting arena Razz

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:31 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

It looks like they changed the colours since I last looked; here is the product page:

[img]http://www.whiteknightpaints.com.au/specialty-paints/metal/rust-guard-topcoat/hammered-finish/[/img]

I agree that the charcoal finish is best and if it chips, the metal finish underneath will blend in. I will try and get that from one of the 3 Bunnings stores I pass on the way to your place tomorrow. Do I need to get things like flap disks for cleaning up the metal?

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:57 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

No need to worry about the disks, i have a few here iirc, i probably wont do the painting till thursday night anyway so i can get some if need be.

What time roughly tommorow do you think? I might have to dart out and grab some mesh Smile

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:04 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

man you guys are going all out, im so glad now i decided to make an effort to put in a decent robot!

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:14 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I doubt it would be before 6pm - I have to get from Nth Sydney via at least one Bunnings. The paint needs 24 hours between coats and you have to use two coats to get the hammer effect, so we probably need to start the metal painting first; i would leave the roof till last as the acrylic paint dried much faster. Its supposed to bucket down with rain for most of the week, so we need to plan around that - we can't paint wet metal or wood and paint takes much longer to dry in high humidity.

We can save some time by not painting the parts that don't show - the floor supports and the top of the roof can be painted later.

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:05 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

We all seriously owe you guys big time!

I've emailed Dave about set up times, and if we can come on the Friday arvo to get it assembled. Also discussing storage of the arena. If we have to pay rental for the space, would people be happy some of our membership funds for the year going towards that? Smile

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:12 pm