ROBOlympics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

Author    Thread
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

nobody has mentioned 40 mhz sets?

we are talking 2.4 Ghz digital and 76 Mhz PCM

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

sounds like the same situation we have down here in reverse.. Laughing

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:10 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by kkeerroo:
Oh, what have I started. Shocked

By the way is 40MHz an illeagal frequency in america?

This is the question on 40M that was being answered

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:11 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

We can make the frequency choice later. We have several 75MHz sets available and Jake's 2.4GHz setup may work even better. Having a tiny aerial is a defensive advantage and that means 75MHZ and up

I did some very brief research (like 5 minutes):

There are 4,590 pages mentioning Robolympics listed by Google, a huge resource for us to mine. Let's get digging!

Last year's featherweight arena was the "Toad Tank". Numerous comments say its wedge unfriendly and the rules only allow 1 unstick. Any wedge had better be designed with this in mind, or we will lose to a count out - a scoop might be better in this arena. The arena is a 16' (4.8m) square. There are heaps of photos of the arena on the web. That's about the size of Jeff's arena.

Speaking of scoops, we can assume Mad Cow's Morpheus will be there. Steel, titanium and 4 pushy Dewalt motors - I think an under-cutter or wedge would work here.

Last year's winners were Helios, Sunflower and Killabyte - anyone feeling nervous yet Smile They are all still active and are sure to be back. Research on beating Helio's drum is a top priority.

The rules are very strict - we can't be a single gram over weight - CF sounds more attractive, but keep in mind all those spinners can shred external CF pretty quickly.

We have another advantage here; our bot is purpose designed for this event while most others are not. We can win against wedges simply by jamming them under the arena wall twice. We can build specifically to beat known bots.

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:43 am 
mytqik

Considering that Helios won over there & mini mower won over here, how about we build the be all & end all of drum bots. Titanitum drum, hardened teeth & spinnig at an incredable high rpm. Make it invertable, so the drum must be able to spin in each direction. Have a scoop, blunt wedge (to stop getting caught). Taper the side to pushy bots just go over the top & we have the ROBOylimpic champion.

Any comments?

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:07 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Not a bad concept except the US guys found there is an upper limit to the drum speed - it starts acting like a saw above a certain point and stops flipping. A bit more weight and lower speed seems to be the sweet spot.

Getting the drum made might be a challenge as I have had very little luck finding local places that can fab titanium. The raw materials can be bought in Melbourne and that company is on my list to ask for sponsorship.

As well as tapering the sides, skirts would be advisable. Morephus has a new hinge on it's scoop that looks like it can get under almost anything

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:15 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

are there any RPM limits anybody knows of?

we can probbly get titanium fabbed if we can get the raw materials
i have a "contact" in qantas they do lots of that stuff there
worst case our TIG may be able to do it and i have a friend who should be up to doing the welding if we have all the bits.

heh depleted uranium spinner anybody? (implausible but possible) ;->
glen you did say you were taking a boat right?

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:17 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
mytqik

what about combining skirts & tapered sides & make wings? tapered sides that ride along the ground, however, when inverted, they swing down work upside down. Just like a bird flapping its wings??

Call it "Wedge Tail Eagle"

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:26 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Didn't we win an Americas Cup with something like that?

I was thinking about a profile like Plan B, with the wing, skirt, whatever hinging off the midle. that way, if the wing is damaged its still hard for a lifter to get a grip. it would have to be well built to tak impacts and not jamb or fold under.

Jake: I didn't see anything the rules about high RPM OR depleted uranium. Perhaps we could get ANSTO at Lucas Hights to sponsor us? I saw some there being used as a doorstop (yes, seriously!)

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:37 am 
mytqik

Also anyone with a DC tig should be able to weld Titanium. If worse come to worst I can do it up here & send it down to you. I haven't bough Ti pipe before, may need to get it rolled or find a powerstation boiler that is geting retro fitted & get some second hand titanium pressure pipe.

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:46 am 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

replace carbon fibre parts with kevlar. Any plastic engineers or fiberglass engineers can make kevlar bits and pieces as well.
Kevlar also can withstand more punishment....

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:05 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

its also about half to 1/4 the strength to weight
make the carbon part 4 times larger
go honeycomb, foam core

we have access to carbon, not kevlar

Last edited by Valen on Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:15 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

remember carbon fibre is quite an effective radio blocker, so no internal antenna's if you for a CF skin..

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Here is a wide shot of last year's featherweight arena:

http://robotics.megagiant.com/gallery/robolympics2004/Pages/Image152.html

Even from this far back you can see the gap at the bottom of the barrier. Its not clear to me what the floor is - steel or wood? If its steel, then neoydium magnets cast in jake's urethane wheels might be a winner.

About CF and antennas, I never really found how bots like Morpheus got around the problem - CF top & bottom, ali sides and nothing obvious hanging out. Any ideas? Jake's flat antenna would come in here.

What do people think about drive motors? Power, size, voltage, etc? I have those Thingaps, which have super high efficiency and develop 350W peak power running on only 14.4V. This gives a very high power to weight ratio, but on the down side, they spin at 17,700 RPM so a gearbox with around 25 to 30:1 reduction is required. I think the new SS2 gearbox might do the trick. Its relatively cheap and the HTI motor it comes with has a similar shaft and mounting.

Why not just use the HTI motor? we could, but it has lower efficiency and needs a higher voltage to get the same power. that equals lower power to weight and less weight left over for armour and weapon.

Alternatively we could use the team Delta DeWalt setup. Its more work to use and requires an outboard bearing. I mostly don't like the dewalt plastic gearbox. You don't hear much about it, but the yanks break heaps of them.

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:56 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Yes go for a Drum bot they are effective against most designs, team rotwang have put a fair bit of thought into the drum bot design so we be happy to advise. At the moment we are working on a beta version Drum bot (mini mower being the alpha version) I will put a write up about the new robot in the build reports thread so check that out.
I will be happy to drive for you guys if you like to pay my way Very Happy

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:04 pm