ROBOlympics
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

Author    Thread
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

ROBOlympics

I just recieved this e-mail:

quote:
We'd really like to see you guys from down under represented at ROBOlympics.

Then you can fight both we Americans and the Brits!

Check out our website, and think about coming next March (24-27, 2005)

-David Calkins, President
Robotics Society of America
http://www.robolympics.net

I wonder where I could get $2500 for a plane ticket.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:52 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

can I do an IOU Very Happy

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:04 am 
decalkins

Hello from Up Over (can I say that?)

I'd like to invite you all to ROBOlympics 2005 in sunny San Francisco! We have ten different weight clases for combat, and about 30 other events we'd like you all to compete in.

http://robolympics.net/events.shtml

If you're looking for sponsors, you should mention that we got world-wide press last year - Japan, the UK, all over the US - feel free to show off our press list as you're talking to your sponsors:

http://robolympics.net/news.shtml

I also looked up cheap flights, and RT flights from Sydney can be had for around $1500

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:26 am 
andrew

Man i would LOVe to go but being only 16 and money goes straight into robots thn its a no no for me.
Ask Nick, he always has money to burn Very Happy. nah only kidding nick.

Actually basilisk mag should do pretty well against some of their machines i think.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:38 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Hi David,

I was already planning a holiday in the US with a visit to at least one robotic event, so there is a very good chance that I will be there as a spectator at least.

There were plenty of international competitors last time, has anyone set up a resource page to help with things like shipping, workshop space, accomodation etc?

I figure that I would need to get up to 100Kg of stuff sent and a competitive entry might cost up to $5k, which is pretty huge for me - still I'd like to plan something in case I can line up a sponsor or three.

Another thing you could do is hook us up with any Australian university entrants you might know of - that could save heaps by pooling resources.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:59 am 
decalkins

>There were plenty of international competitors last time,

Yup, including one Aussie!

>has anyone set up a resource page to help with things like shipping,

We work with AGS for discounted shipping:
http://robolympics.net/competing.shtml - although these are last year's forms.

>workshop space,

Provided in the pit area.

>accomodation etc?

We book group rate hotels. Last time we filled 3 hotels.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:34 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I'm starting to get an adrenalin rush Smile

How many other people would be interested in a team effort? If you take an active on-site role, you will have to have the airfare and accomodation cash by around the end of the year.

A team will also need local support for things like work and testing space, coordination. marketing, and so on. A minimum of three people sounds about right and more than 5 might be hard to manage.

Can I get some response from people who could seriously commit to a 6 month project? We just won a record number of medals in that "other" olympics and its just as possible for us to excel.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:24 am 
andrew

Wel dont count me in yet or anything but if u could give me a rough estimate when it is and how much then please tell me. I think its during school term though which is a bummer.

Could osmebody post up a picture/website/description of the Australian guy who competed last year and with what. Was it smokeypipeman maybe with the walker peeps.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:55 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

@ Andrew (and everyone else): I would be aiming for around $2,000 to be safe. If you were going to SF and we had sponsors, then some of the travel and accomodation might be covered (or we might just buy more Mag motors Twisted Evil )

Even if you can't come due to school, you can still be part of the team. Like any olympic competitor, our bot will need a support team that can do essential work without going to the event. To be successful we will need to train, test, build and train some more. Training opponents will be needed and you could use Scrap with different weapons on the front for that at next to no cost.

We will need tools and materials and sub-contractors (I'm thinking TIG welding and machining) and personal contacts you have could be important here.

We will need web design, photos and video to promote the team and attract sponsors.

You might be able to sell the idea as an educational project at school, even though the timing is not great.

Its a daunting complex task, but its completely do-able with enough determination.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:21 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

I'm up for it Smile

do they allow internal combustion? Twisted Evil

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

IC is OK Smile They appear to have had several ICE robots if the photo gallery is to be believed. HPA and CO2 are also on the cards, if I read the rules right.

Everyone interested should have a close look at the Robolympics site - heaps of detail in the rules and satety areas that we could all learn from.

Perhaps everyone who is interested should take some time to list what they can realistically contibute, whether its cash, driving skills, design, attitude or whatever. we can pool that and select the right people for the right jobs.

We should probably stick to our strenghts, which are featherweights. I can't see us building a heavyweight to compete with the Wyhachi team any time soon.

One final thing - no steroids, OK? Smile

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:37 pm 
decalkins

All robots will be tested for steroids.

Robots tested postive for steroid use will be immediately shipped off to the human olympics where they belong... Wink

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:45 pm 
andrew

Well i personally dont think i can go as money could be covered (just take 2 of the 35 grand out of life savings and earn it back later) but if its during shool then hell no. My mum would go nuclear especially since its year 12.

BUt i will come over and be part of the team back home where needed. Cant contribute much money but i am good at fixing problems (and causing them) and i have a artisitic eye which has yet to prove itself so far.

If theres a problem i could probably think of a fix in 4 seconds flat plus if its too boroing i will add on more bits to make it look artistic and cooler.

If help is needed with any6thing at all please ask. We have to show these fellas that us north of the border know a thing or 2 when it comes to this stuff.

Also something else i thought of is that teh weight is bumped up a bit isnt it (13.5 kg or something) so maybe u could cram another 18 volt battlepack in there and run drive at 18 and weopon at 36 Very Happy. or get both happening at 24 which would strill be sweet.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:35 pm 
mytqik

Well I dont think that I would be able to go, however I can offer my I strength engineering/drafting for free (as long as you dont use it for the local comp & kick everyone ass Smile )

I dont know how you would want to work it, but I have various pieces of software that I can use to design/test the robot before a piece of metal is even cut.

Let me know if you want to take it further.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:15 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Andrew: School does get in the way of a REAL education Wink

I DO have 2 completely un-used 24v battle packs and we get 13.6077 Kg to play with, so more voltage the better!

Whatever design is used the goals would be maximum energy to weight and strength to weight figures, while keeping cost and complexity down, Nicads NiMH and ICE power would be the leading energy sources and high-tech materials like titanium and composites (ie plan B) would provide the structure. A titanium supplier as a sponsor sure would be sweet Smile

I also have those 300W Thingap motors and some IFI controllers to drive them. Drill motors have been good to us locally, but the enourmous power to weight advantage of rare earth magnet motors means we could have a KE weapon and still plenty of pushing power. I gave NPC a huge serve today so I will soon know if the gearboxes will be repaired.

Mytqik: Drafting and element analysis will save the project huge cash. Your simulations on the duilders page are great and most competitors would not have this advantage, so we would be well ahead in design with your input.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:28 pm