www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

ROBOlympics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 51, 52, 53  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

Was just about to post that after watching it on the RFL forums Laughing See that beetle fly into the roof Laughing Laughing

Good work Swayzio!

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:47 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gO5x9C5Y2k

featuring last rights ripping off sir loins weapon. excellent.

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

YES!!!
Looks like its shaft just broke, not as spectacular as i'd hoped lol, but as if that beater would break! Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:03 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

A video
http://sketchup.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=8539

Some expensive photos
http://www.bensonpv.com/robogames07

And solution to our 2.4GHz problem, if they stop selling out of them so fast.
http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/proddetail.php?prod=XPS-CPF1-10

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:27 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Why are RoboGames dropping support for 75Mhz ?
Is the frequency control too hard to administer and they want to force everyone on to Spetkrum so they dont have to bother ?

I have had no problems with my 75Mhz PCM's and see no reason to go Spektrum. Especially given that I like the programming features in the Futaba 7C's (and they dont take 2.4g conversion modules) - I could hack a 2.4g module in, but why ? Is it just RoboGames forcing your move ?

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

From what my brother told me the ant weight guys never returned their frequency clips, so when he had to fight he first had to go to the ant weight pit tables to find his clip. If RoboWars had 400 robots turn up you might start wondering if its a good idea as well.
But if it were me I would just add an extra $10 or so to the entry fees for the 75MHz guys rather then just banning them.

Strange how it doesn't it works with the 7C series. If we get one before we go down to victoria next we'll have a go at hammering it into your radio to see what happens.

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:37 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The 7C doesnt have the transmitter module socket that the 7U and 9C has. Just the usual crystal socket on the back, Tx Tx is an internal circuit board.

The case molding looks like you could dremel it out and fit the Tx module in there if you wanted to do some advanced gaffa-tape butchery

But I have 3x 75Mhz PCM receivers, and about 4x very small 75mhz FM receivers in the various Robots, Planes and Heli's, so I'm buggered if I'm going to buy 7x new Rx's and and a Tx Module because someone cant be bothered with frequency control.

Charging a reasonable frequency admin fee for 75mhz sets would be fine, I understand its a lot of work to keep track of them all, but if someone decides its easier to just ban my radios then I just wouldnt go. (not that I'm likely to go to the US anyway - but maybe Dave will read my opinion and think about it, it seems a bit draconian to me)

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:57 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:

And solution to our 2.4GHz problem, if they stop selling out of them so fast.
http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/proddetail.php?prod=XPS-CPF1-10

Just received an email from XPS about their modular 2.4ghtz stuff.
They should have stock in about 10 days if anyone else is interested.
I was in the unfortunate position of buying a pcm radio a short time before the failsafe issue was fixed on the spectrum. Doh

Had ordered a spextrum recently but have cancelled that order and will just update the PCm radio instead.
It will allow me to use all the extra features of my existing radio plus some nice features found on the XPS stuff like channel mapping. Variable power output between 10mw and 100mw. Major increase in battery life. Option of adding telemetry and some others like the ridiculous range of 5 miles land to air.

Anyways am glad am not going to be stuck with extra transmitters and also look forward to the planned 6 chaneel receiver that’s about to be added to the products list for the same cost as a spectrum reciver. Note – to add telemetry you need the 8 channel receiver for an extra 30 bucks.

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:42 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

What is your existing Tx type George ?

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:44 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

A Hitec Optic 6 - which has a moduler back already, has one of those dial a frequency thingys on it.
In regard to others am getting the impression from them that they will release a universal model for older radios that will connect via the trainer port which is useless anyway. Hopefully might be able to update my olde 36mhz radio. thats the impression I get, they should be available later this month as well.
Another neat thing about the recievers on these things is their voltage range.
3.5 - 30 volts, no more little battery packs or regulators.

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:26 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I got an interesting email. The combots arena is for sale
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160138098959

because they will be using the MMER arena next year
http://robogames.net/photos/mmer_arena.jpg

Also regestration is open for next year
http://buildersdb.com/view_bots.asp?eventid=232

And here's the rest of the email

quote:

Next year's RoboGames is tentatively set for June 12-15. There's a negligable chance the dates will change - we just haven't actually signed the contract yet.

Finally - a few ComBots LLC event management changes (RoboGames, ComBots Cup, etc.):

* We will no longer be offering 12 pound slots. For RoboGames 2008, there will only be sixteen 30-pound slots available. First come, first served. 30-pound tree will be true double elim. Should ComBots host an RFL Nationals, we would offer 12 pound slots, however.

* All transmitters and recievers must be a mated pair in Combat robots. This means there is no way for you transmitter to control a reciever other than your own, or vice versa. So this is the end of 75Mhz. This is for safety reasons, and to ensure that there is no chance of frequency interference from any other machine nearby, and to solve pileups and missing clips at the freq board, and conflicts between arenas. You're not required to have Spectrum-brand, only a system which ensures singular communication. Simply having a ch 61-90 crystal set doesn't qualify, as it in no way solves the problem of frequency conflicts and people not checking out freq clips. [If you can find a way to make a 75 Mhz Tx/Rx pair only talk to each other, I'm open to it. You will of course be making a mint selling these...]

* We will be offering a 10% discount off registration fees for teams who pay 60 days out. Note that "pay" is not the same as "register." Please make sure that when you add your team to an event, you also check the boxes that denote which team members will be present, so we don't have any "He's on my team but doesn't have a badge!" issues. If they're not selected in the database, they're not on your team.

* If you have a photo in the buildersdb, you won't have to go through all that nonsense ever again. See how easy that was? If you don't have a photo, please make sure you have one sooner rather than later so we can correct any issues.

* Clearing safety now entails three parts: Weigh in, safety, and 10 point multiple choice rules test by at least one team member. No really. We've encountered many contestants not knowing the rules they're playing under. If you know the rules, the test will take 2 minutes. The point isn't to be an asshole, it's to make sure you actually have read the rules. Passing is 7/10. Barry Bonds knows what the infield fly rule is, you need to know what translational movement is. Jerry Rice knows what a two-point conversion is, you need to know how many points the judges award (and there are no such thing as "hit points" in robot combat scoring.)

* If we get more than $50,000 in sponsorship, all builder fees will be dropped to $20 (there's a psychology about $0 vs $20 and people registering vapor-bots). If you have a line on a sponsor, send it to Simone. Simone@combots.net

* $2200 prize for Heavys at next RoboGames. The prize purse will only be in HW's (and 3kg sumos).

* No more unsticks under any circumstances. Doesn't matter how the robot got stuck - by itself or by the opponent.

Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:33 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Interesting! It sounds like smaller bots are out of favour but at least there is double elimination for featherweights. Based on that, I will register the moment Scissorhands is operational. With so few positions for featherweights, we could book it out and have an all-Aussie event in the US Laughing

Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:32 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I beleive it was because small bots don't work well in an arena that large.

Speaking of arenas, my brother forwarded me an email.

quote:
Hey Andrew!

Well, it will just fit in a 40 ft container. So cost of shipping a 40
ft container from Oakland to Australia. I suspect that's around US$2000

Charlie - how much does that cost?

FYI, reserve is $11,000, but I'd be willing to work with you on price.

Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:40 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
I beleive it was because small bots don't work well in an arena that large.

I can see Dave's point - it is a huge arena. Get prepared for the next announcement "All 30lbs and lighter bots must be completely covered in Luxeon LEDS". Laughing

It would be very cool if you could get their arena over here, although $2k sounds a bit on the cheap side for shipping.

Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:04 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

A 20ft container with 9ton of cutting edges cost $6000 from Canada including duty. But it should be cheaper in this case, maybe $4000. I can get an exact quote if he is interested and tells me the weight of the thing.

Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:00 pm